Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   How do you move on from an XKR? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/how-do-you-move-xkr-185692/)

Tatty 07-15-2017 01:32 PM

How do you move on from an XKR?

So I've had my 2011 XKR a few month now and I love it! Anyway I took my mate out in it and as much as he liked it too he told me that when it's time for a new car, what could I possibly get in my price range with the looks, power and noise of the XKR and it's got me totally stumped! XKR production is now stopped, Vantage is too small and slow, DB9 is also lacking in power, F-Type is too small, 911 is too boring as is everything else that's German. The only car I can think of would be a Maserati Gran Turismo that comes close to the XKR! Not that I'm looking to change anytime soon. Anyone else think that Jaguar have made a mistake by not making another GT car? In my opinion the choice is small at the minute and Jag have showed for years how much of a good job at making them they can do!

chazaroo 07-15-2017 01:38 PM

Spend the next couple years buying more XKRs. Then when it's time to replace your 20111, you should have a couple back ups. :)

Tatty 07-15-2017 01:44 PM

It's bloody expensive enough owning one never mind having a few! I've always wondered the average age of XKR owners, I'm only 32. I'm not quite in the position to have a few cars yet 😂 I struggle keeping this one on the road as it is! I thought the novelty would've worn off this by now and I'd stop going for random drives every day but no, it's too much fun and it's costing a fortune in petrol!

sov211 07-15-2017 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tatty (Post 1721704)
So I've had my 2011 XKR a few month now and I love it! Anyway I took my mate out in it and as much as he liked it too he told me that when it's time for a new car, what could I possibly get in my price range with the looks, power and noise of the XKR and it's got me totally stumped! XKR production is now stopped, Vantage is too small and slow, DB9 is also lacking in power, F-Type is too small, 911 is too boring as is everything else that's German. The only car I can think of would be a Maserati Gran Turismo that comes close to the XKR! Not that I'm looking to change anytime soon. Anyone else think that Jaguar have made a mistake by not making another GT car? In my opinion the choice is small at the minute and Jag have showed for years how much of a good job at making them they can do!

Well, the question is: why would you move on? Keep the XKR properly serviced and it will last for years and years...and you can't get tired of that gorgeous body, or the performance. My 07 is still the most beautiful car on the road and runs perfectly (fast). There is nothing (other than possibly an F-Type) that even remotely appeals.

CleverName 07-15-2017 02:35 PM

I pushed my limits stepping into my 2010 XKR. But I have had to ask myself the very same question. My only XKR regret is the lack of a manual gearbox, which cars like the Corvette or Aston Martin would provide. (Neither within my financial capabilities, as even the Jag holds me to a very tight budget)
V

pwpacp 07-15-2017 03:10 PM

The wife and I have had the same conversation! While not R owners, we share your concern. What will we do when we finally have to move on in the future?

I understand how market drives manufacturing but that still leaves us with fewer future choices as it stands right now. This is our second x150 and though we were tempted by F-types, Vettes, AM, Mazis, etc., nothing punched the card like the XK does.

I guess we'll be hanging on to this one for as long as possible hoping our age prevents us from reaching for something else. They will have to pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel it would seem.

BruceTheQuail 07-15-2017 04:20 PM

I thought the same. It was actually being offered a good deal on a barely used DB9 that got me thinking about what I wanted.

The DB9 is pretty much just a next level XKR. The tech was so ancient I knew it would drive me mad. Vantage the same. The Maserati is very expensive and in my view it isnt a pretty car. It has some nice things about it, for sure, but as a whole it is odd looking. I cant really be bothered with Benz or Bimmer, too common. The R8 isnt my cuppa (I like the front engine shape).

In the end I stuck with Jag and got a f Type which was cheap in comparison to anything else I liked. It isnt as practical as the XKR (it is harder to get in and out of, the hatch space isnt quite as big and it has no back seat) though it is fairly practical and I think I would have been inconvenienced by that maybe once in a year and a half. Now that I've got some miles on it, I think that the ride on 19's is pretty comparable to the XKR on 20's.

The transmission is better (but if I had my time over I'd have bought the manual), steering is better, the supercharged 6 is as quick as I could ever get my XKR anyway, and it handles far better. I prefer the shouty louty exhaust of the f type, and because you sit further back it is far more in your ears. But I prefer the engine note of the 4.2 XKR. The stereo is enormously better in the f type, though the earlier models had their issues.

Looks are subjective, I have to say I prefer the f type when I see them on the road, but the XK is a striking car, especially the ones with LEDs.

So I'd say that the only real negative to the f type is getting in and out, and that is more for my wife and daughter than me. It isnt a car that is everything the XK is but better, but it is an awesome car and I love it. The XK does spoil you, though.

Don-T 07-15-2017 05:30 PM

I expect it to be one of those long black Cadillac station wagons:icon_toliet:

SinF 07-15-2017 08:32 PM

Test drive 911, F-type, Corvette C7. They might be pricy now, but they won't stay that way forever.

Tervuren 07-15-2017 09:02 PM

^ A 911 test drive is why I bought my XK.

Unless you spring for a 911 Turbo, The base 911 just won't have the straight line punch of an XKR.

The Corvette, especially the new super charged Z06 would be a good one.

The XKR is not a car that there are many apples/apples comparisons, the large interior space, and hatch back trunk with a 2+2 is sort of unique in modern cars.

If you're not shopping in similar price range, perhaps an Aston Martin DB11, or some form of modern Bently.

steve_k_xk 07-15-2017 10:48 PM

LC500

Unfortunately DB9 isn't a valid substitute due to pricing and we can also rule out the new 8 series coupe

Queen and Country 07-16-2017 02:39 AM

If you are struggling now with the XKR, wait till you get a Maserati, you wont even get a cold, you wont be able to afford one.

The XKR was meant for you, in that you cant easily find a replacement and it wont let you down like the others will. I say in your station in life, you are meant for each other.

1 of 19 07-16-2017 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Don-T (Post 1721825)

Boy I hope it's a long black caddy.

1 of 19 07-16-2017 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tatty (Post 1721715)
I thought the novelty would've worn off this by now and I'd stop going for random drives every day but no, it's too much fun and it's costing a fortune in petrol!

Me too. I am more than happy now to run for milk and bread anytime it's needed. Sometimes even if it's not needed. Sometimes just cause. :icon_pala:

chazaroo 07-16-2017 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Don-T (Post 1721825)

LOL

mosesbotbol 07-17-2017 09:00 AM

You are all overlooking the Lotus Evora S or Evora 400. Both have similar interior space and actually the Evora is more comfortable over bumps. Can be a pure sports car or GT since it's 2+2.

One has to actually really drive one to understand!

Cee Jay 07-17-2017 01:39 PM

How about a 'massive' write-in to Jaguar Corporate DEMANDING a GT XK replacement? Think they'd listen? Course, they do refuse to do anything about a shrinking dash...

Tervuren 07-17-2017 02:08 PM

Eh, I think if he has trouble finding something to move on from an XKR, he probably isn't running the budget for a new XK.

Tervuren 07-17-2017 02:15 PM

I was pretty taken with the interior/exterior style of the Vanquish at the Aston Martin dealer today.

I think it would make a great upgrade from an XK/XKR.

I also really like the Vantage, but it isn't an apples to apples car with the XKR.

mosesbotbol 07-17-2017 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tervuren (Post 1722859)
I was pretty taken with the interior/exterior style of the Vanquish at the Aston Martin dealer today.

Vanquish and DB11 are just the ultimate GT's or basically any car with the engine up front... Well that and whatever Ferrari is making with a front engine V12....