Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   How do you use your key fob (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/how-do-you-use-your-key-fob-198553/)

jagtoes 03-19-2018 10:54 AM

How do you use your key fob

Having seen a few posts on key fobs it struck me that some use theirs more then others. As a for instance I really don't use mine other then putting it in my pocket when I leave the house. It stays there during my day out . I lock the doors by pushing the button and if I need to get into the boot I either hit the button in the car or press the button on the boot lid. Other then that I can't remember if I had pressed any of the buttons on the fob. So if someone ever invented a credit card size fob that I could put in my wallet I wouldn't have a need to carry one. By the way I find the Jaguar fob much lighter then my Lexus or Chevy truck fob. Just sayin

JackJohn 03-19-2018 11:01 AM

Like you JT, I don't use the fob at all except to turn off the alarm when I accidentally set it off.

carealtor 03-19-2018 11:02 AM

I'm like you. I NEVER use the buttons on my fob. It's in my pocket, but that's it.

kj07xk 03-19-2018 11:03 AM

Almost always, 3 taps on the unlock button as I approach the car, to drop the top with theJagWrangler's remote top control... it's just so cool. :icon_eddie:

pwpacp 03-19-2018 11:06 AM

KJ, too cool! It is on my radar for mod too.

Aonsaithya 03-19-2018 11:16 AM

I just keep it in my pocket or bag. However, if I've parked in a tight spot, I may use the fob to open the windows; pillarless doors with the windows down make for an easy entry.

I know one can close the windows with the fob or by holding down the locking button on the door handle, but I wonder if it's possible to open the windows without touching the fob?

Oh, and one time I was taking a photo of my car, and turned on the headlights remotely to see what it looks like.

TexasTraveler 03-19-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 1861771)
Having seen a few posts on key fobs it struck me that some use theirs more then others. As a for instance I really don't use mine other then putting it in my pocket when I leave the house. It stays there during my day out . I lock the doors by pushing the button and if I need to get into the boot I either hit the button in the car or press the button on the boot lid. Other then that I can't remember if I had pressed any of the buttons on the fob. So if someone ever invented a credit card size fob that I could put in my wallet I wouldn't have a need to carry one. By the way I find the Jaguar fob much lighter then my Lexus or Chevy truck fob. Just sayin

+1

Ranchero50 03-19-2018 11:42 AM

Windows in the summer but otherwise, just in my pocket.

Stuart S 03-19-2018 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk (Post 1861778)
Almost always, 3 taps on the unlock button as I approach the car, to drop the top with theJagWrangler's remote top control... it's just so cool. :icon_eddie:

+1, then it stays in my pocket until it's time to put the top up.

mosesbotbol 03-19-2018 12:08 PM

I use both the fob and keyless entry. Keyless first, but sometimes doesn't work.

Cee Jay 03-19-2018 01:32 PM

Three taps on the Lock Button on the Door Handle will also raise and lower the top, using Steve's stuff.

kj07xk 03-19-2018 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 1861862)
Three taps on the Lock Button on the Door Handle will also raise and lower the top, using Steve's stuff.

So true, but having the top down and ready to go by the time you get to the car, is special.

GGG 03-19-2018 01:58 PM

Had to use the Lock/Unlock buttons on my previous 2007 XK but just leave the fob in my pocket with my 2014 keyless entry vehicle.

Graham

Cee Jay 03-19-2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk (Post 1861873)

So true, but having the top down and ready to go by the time you get to the car, is special.

I do that in parking lots and other places when I'm out already. Pulling out of the garage, I first start 'er up THEN lower the top. That way I occupy some of the time that I wait for the idle to die down before I leave.

kj07xk 03-19-2018 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 1861997)
I do that in parking lots and other places when I'm out already. Pulling out of the garage, I first start 'er up THEN lower the top. That way I occupy some of the time that I wait for the idle to die down before I leave.

Yep, do that too, but since I'm in the car to start it, I'm not using the fob, just a touch of the overhead button to open 'er up (and let the sound in!).

jagtoes 03-19-2018 05:46 PM

I gotta say after doing a little test of lowering the top without the engine running it's something I'll not be doing. You can watch the voltage drop/drain as it lowers. That would suggest to me that coupled with the start process your battery is going to take a pretty hard hit. I start the car and while the idle is up (open loop) I lower the top. Just my thoughts .

u102768 03-19-2018 06:06 PM

We have just come out of summer here so if I am coming home from work I unlock the car as I approach then press the button again to open the windows then put my suit jacket and anything else I am carrying on the passenger seat through the open window then get in and head for home.

TexasTraveler 03-19-2018 06:26 PM

Is holding unlock to lower windows a vert thing? Tried it on my coupe and nothing...

Cee Jay 03-19-2018 07:08 PM

Mine do, but missed opportunity; they don't go back UP by holding LOCK.

Stuart S 03-19-2018 07:47 PM

The rear quarter windows on the coupe are fixed, and do not open or close. There is no regulator mechanism or motor to move those windows.

From the factory, the convertible's rear quarter windows are synched with the top. They go down when the top is lowered and go up when it is raised. When the top is down, you can raise and lower the front side windows, but not the rear quarter windows. They stay down when the top is down and stay up when the top is up.

WhiteXKR's remote top kit with the optional rear side window controller makes it possible to lower and raise the convertible's rear quarter windows when the top is up or down, separate from the front side windows. With his kit, you can lower all 4 windows with the top up, or raise all 4 windows with the top down, which is not possible straight from the factory. The cabin is much calmer with the top down and all 4 windows up and a rear wind blocker. Both rear quarter windows move up or down at the same time, but the front side windows operate independently.

All 4 windows can be controlled by the window switches or key fob, by using the right sequence of switch/button pulls and pushes.