Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to maintain leather seat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Forget the Amazon reviews then and believe me. I've been using Griot's leather care spray for years and it works better than anything else I've ever used at any price. I have no affiliation with Griot's and all the leather in my 2009 XKR is still like new, including the dashboard. Your car, your money, your choice. Why spend more?
I started using Griot's leather care after asking the Aston Martin dealer what they use on their cars (they are also a Lotus and Aston Heritage dealer). They sell Connolly's Hide Food (which I have gone through 2 jars over the years), but actually use the Griot's... The Griot's works great. Can smell about chemical for the first day, so applying super thin is important. Very happy with the product and also recommend, regardless of the price (which is pretty cheap).

Using the Griot's on sealed leather is not going to damage the leather, but may just be gilding the lily. If in doubt, just apply some quarterly.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
OMFG I'LL BET YOU ONE AMERICAN DOLLAR that that "kit" that you link to is the EXACT SAME as I bought from Jaguar.. The size of the box, the sponge, ALL of it.
Yes they both have the same address on the back . I am Flabbergasted that JLR would be so transparent about that.

Its a great example of how difficult the path of the manufacturer is.
For a lousy $30 bucks they have to make sure they find the best, test it, stand behind it, offer it for sale in a fancy building with free espresso.
The underdog does not even have to know what a Jaguar smells like. Or shockingly have any prior experience with leather.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pasquo Wrencher
how do you know the actual cause, unless you do an exact side-by-side comparison of two identical seats in identical situations, testing different products? You cannot know if your leather would have done better or worse, after treating or not treating, unless you compare your treatment of choice on two identical seats in identical situations.
Astute entrepreneurs were quick to capitalize on that conundrum.
They also realized we are the only species that has to be told not to feed the animals.
Dewey, Cheatem & Howe

Old 05-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I'm sorry I treated my seats with Lexol when I purchased my car 5 years ago. The car only had 4,500 miles on it and there was no need for conditioner. As a result, the passenger seat has noticeable (to me) streaks on it in different places. It's really not noticeable except in certain lighting. If the leather is not being weather by the sun, I don't see risking it by using any conditioner. Regardless, I won't use Lexol again period.

The following 4 users liked this post by bocatrip:
Cee Jay (05-19-2019), kj07xk (05-19-2019), pk4144 (05-19-2019), Queen and Country (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I'm sorry I treated my seats with Lexol when I purchased my car 5 years ago. The car only had 4,500 miles on it and there was no need for conditioner. As a result, the passenger seat has noticeable (to me) streaks on it in different places. It's really not noticeable except in certain lighting. If the leather is not being weather by the sun, I don't see risking it by using any conditioner. Regardless, I won't use Lexol again period.
Try wiping down the interior with a well rung damp towel. That'll even out the streaks.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Default Thai Coconut Curry

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Yep. From the makers of Armour-all (no joke)
Remember when they said that was good for interiors.

The best way to get your arm's around the con-job is to understand the American marketing juggernaut that knows how to turn reality on its head.
Thia Coconut curry is your clue. In USA you know Uncle Ben's as a purveyor of ultra low-quality rice and nothing else.
In UK (where they dont know Southern US) Uncle Ben is the purveyor and expert of Asian curry sauces.
The con-jobs they can convince folks of is beyond sci-fi.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
... The con-jobs they can convince folks of is beyond sci-fi.
That's because marketers are politicians-in-training!

Old 05-20-2019, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Try wiping down the interior with a well rung damp towel. That'll even out the streaks.
Thanks for the advice, but I've already gone that route and plan on leaving well enough alone. Sometimes when you try too hard to correct or clean leather, you end up making things worse. Like most things I've gotten used to it, but again I won't go near Lexol ever again........just to think all the years growing up I thought that Lexol was liquid gold! lol

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

From our mates down under - everything you need to know about automotive leather; the right and wrong, the good and bad, and the ugly. A really great advertisement for their products. And yes, this doesn't change my opinion about Griot's. It's still the best bang for the buck (but not nubuck).

https://www.bowdensown.com.au/guides/leather-care-blog

Old 05-20-2019, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Back in the day, before 1980 when automotive leather started being polyurethane coated, Lexol was considered by many to be best leather conditioner on the market because it contained lanolin. It was thick and creamy and gave your car that new car smell. It soaked into the leather and made it feel soft and buttery smooth. Because it was thick, it sat on the leather and took overnight to be fully absorbed. Any excess would have to be completely wiped off with a soft towel so it wouldn't stain your clothes. How do I know it contained lanolin? Lexol was manufactured in an Atlanta suburb and the company I worked for sold them their plastic bottles. Lanolin was one of the ingredients on the label.

Times have changed.. And so have the ingredients in Lexol. It hasn't contained lanolin for decades. And it's no longer a privately-owned company. It's a subsidiary of Energizer Brands ... and keep going and going.

https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwel...re_with_lexol/

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Cee Jay (05-20-2019), DannyJ (05-21-2019), mosesbotbol (05-21-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Personally, I suspect the only reason for the existence of any of these products is that luxury car owners are, for the most part, men old enough to have memories of older cars, baseball gloves, what-have-you, who just like the idea of treating leather.