Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How often do you Gliptone

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts
Default How often do you Gliptone

As the km start to add up just clicked over 70k km (45k miles) I've been taking exceptional care of the leather and glipting every 6 weeks or so

As I'm getting to the end of my bottle is there any other high quality products on the market or should I stick to the gliptone

Old 06-17-2017, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I have been big on Lexol or Connolly's, but I am coming to the realization as hard as it is to accept that none of these are needed since the leather Jaguar uses is coated and sealed. It does not make a difference. Keeping the leather clean is all that is needed per Jaguar's direction.

Since my XE is leased, I am not going to apply any leather conditioner to the seats and see how they look at the end of three years.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

With age and use you get wear and cracking at flex points. Maybe it's a good idea to treat these areas with a leather conditioner as required. But generally, like Mosesbotbol, I never saw much result of leather conditioner on coated/sealed leather.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:21 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a product that was recommended to me a few years ago when I had a Saab with cracking leather.. LINKY primarily UK based though

Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

steve,
Believe it or not, after experimenting with many over the years, I find a product by Armor All, called Outlast Leather Restorer, to be my favorite. It is not as streaky as Lexol, goes on smoothly (squeezes out of a tube, and just a little bit goes a long way), and does a very nice job. And very reasonably priced.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

For 10 years I have used Aerospace 303 (after being recommended by my detailer years ago) on my previous BMW 650. I have used it on my Jag also, all dash and seat parts, plastic or leather. Gives it a non-greasy, non-shiny protective coating with UV resistance. There is much debate on the net about whether it is good, however I find this the case for all products!

Old 06-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I have only used 2 products over the years: 303 Aerospace and Lexol. I alternate both products every month or so. With the Lexol, I use the cleaner first, then apply the conditioner and let it sit a while before I buff it out. 303 gives you the uv protection. So far so good with results.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Agree with Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner

Old 06-17-2017, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I use the Lexol wipes both for cleaning and conditioning. Use them monthly, particularly on the dashboard. See the threads dealing with bubbling and shrinkage and you will see why I do what I do.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Nope, Meguiar's Gold Class. Best there is.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Am I the only one who uses the Jaguar cleaner and conditioner?
Anyway, a buddy who is a longtime, top-notch detailer and has worked at high-end shops in LA says what others here have observed: keep it clean. Other than that, we're just making ourselves feel good with all the "conditioners." given the way the leather has been treated and painted and coated. Connolley's and the like made a difference 50 years ago (when we were all putting oil on our baseball gloves), but interior leather today simply doesn't work that way.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Looks like Lexol and aerospace 303 seem to be the winners out of these two particular products which one will leave a shine on my leather . I find with the gliptone it gives my leather that taunt feeling however leaves it looking dull

Old 06-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pk4144
Connolley's and the like made a difference 50 years ago (when we were all putting oil on our baseball gloves), but interior leather today simply doesn't work that way.
I mentioned the online debate regarding leather products and this is what it is always centered on...the leather modern coatings. The UV and scuff resistance that they add makes leather conditioner a widely debated topic. Just put drops of water on your leather seat, unlike real leather it doesn't soak in. Don't tell that to Lexol, they have made a fortune convincing everyone that their efforts are necessary.

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Looks like Lexol and aerospace 303 seem to be the winners out of these two particular products which one will leave a shine on my leather . I find with the gliptone it gives my leather that taunt feeling however leaves it looking dull
Aerospace 303 leaves it dull also, that is one of the reasons I like the product along with it's UV protective quality. The matte, satin finish is very nice but non-greasy and non-shiny, I don't need my dash any more reflective than necessary in the Florida sun.

I rarely use a detailer, but when I had him clean my previous BMW years ago he would add a liberal amount to the seats, spread it by hand so that it doesn't get wiped off by an applicator or cloth. Then let it sit for a period afterwareds wipe off. This is how I have applied to my leather seats since.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_k_xk
Lexol on the dash leather penetrates well, and you bluff out the leather dash, it will remain a dull finish, no shine. Looks great. The leather of the dash is different than the leather of the seats in the XK/XKR.

On the seats, the Lexol, after buffing will create a nice shine, and the seat becomes extremely slick. When you get into the Jag you will simply slide into the seat.

The Lexol will make the dash pliable and softer than normal without it, which is what you need. The sun will continuously dry out the leather so you need some moisture periodically to keep the leather pliable. During the summer months I suggest the Lexol monthly. It takes about 10 minutes to apply and buff out, a small amount of time to protect the leather.

Keep in mind if using the 303 product you need to purchase the 303 (30218) Automotive Leather and Vinyl Cleaner, Conditioner, Restorer and UV Protectant, usually sold in a 16 fl. oz.

There is another 303 product for vinyl only which yo do not want to use.

Happy detailing!

Old 06-18-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Refer to my reference regarding the debate all over the web regarding Leather specific products.

I have used the regular 303 for 10 years, my leather seats looked brand new in my BMW 650 and now in my Jag. There was another post where a guy contacted Aerospace and they recommended the leather product. They are in the business of selling products, the more they create with a different label and they more they can sell!

The "expert" detailers debate it roundly, this goes on and on. I understand where others come from, if they have always used Lexol or Gliptone and it has been great for them why change. I feel the same about Aerospace, I find it is second to none in performance. The only real way to judge one or the other is for someone to step up and use one product on each seat and see side by side if there is a difference, but that would just be silly wouldn't it?

https://www.autopia.org/forums/auto-...3-leather.html

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=1942040

Old 06-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Whatever you choose, it may not hurt to use a sun shield to keep the heat out especially if your car sits in the sun for long periods of time,

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts
Old 06-19-2017, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Am I the only one who uses the Jaguar cleaner and conditioner?
Looks like it

I was wondering about that stuff. It's what the owner's manual recommends (obviously) and it's only about $10 at the dealer. How do you like it?

Old 06-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

I may be the exception here, but I've had great luck with the Leatherique products. Their color matched dye product was flawless, and I've used it minor touch-ups as the caramel colored leather in my XK tends to show every little ding. Highly recommended.