Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   On the hunt for a XKR ....opinions please! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/hunt-xkr-opinions-please-217153/)

SLazz 04-30-2019 07:02 PM

On the hunt for a XKR ....opinions please!

As the title says, I'm on the hunt for a XKR. I just sold my 2007 XK Convertible. It's was a nice car but the performance was a little too docile for my taste so, now I'm looking at XKRs.

Now, to my question. Should I go for a 2008 or 2009 XKR or should I look for a newer one? Maybe up to 2012. Is there that much of a difference? I have a $20K to $30K budget.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Canadacat 04-30-2019 07:19 PM

Don't make the same mistake drive a 4.2 and then drive the 5.0 . My 4.2 has plenty of kick for now but in a couple of years ........

Cee Jay 04-30-2019 07:28 PM

The real question you should ask yourself is Do you want an additional 100 hp, or 200 hp?
Besides all that, the front end of the 2010+s look better. So does the butt, with LED tails. Oh, and four pipes out the back instead of two. Oh hell, I could go on for awhile here...
For the price difference between the 4.2 and the 5.0 (nearly $zero) why would you NOT get a 5?

Stuart S 04-30-2019 07:31 PM

Unless you plan to track your XKR, you'll rarely, if ever, be able to experience the full potential of the 510+HP of the 5.0L XKR. The 420HP 4.2L XKR is no slouch, but doesn't come close to the overkill of the 5.0L.

There are lots of threads discussing the pros and cons of the 4.2L XKR and 5.0L XKR and comparing them. You've been on the Forum over a year and probably are aware of them.

I'd buy the XKR in the nicest condition in the colors you prefer that's within your budget. Simple as that, regardless of whether it's a 4.2L or 5.0L.

Cee Jay 04-30-2019 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 2063325)
Unless you plan to track your XKR, you'll rarely, if ever, be able to experience the full potential of the 510+HP of the 5.0L XKR......................................

Nearly every stoplight

Tervuren 04-30-2019 07:49 PM

Cee Jay, isn't the order wrong? Stoplights go from red to green. Not red, to yellow, to green.

If performance is on your mind, the 5.0L 2010+ seems the way to go.

2012, body restyle, gets the steering wheel from the XF instead of a X150 unique design. Can get factory backup camera.

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 2063325)
I'd buy the XKR in the nicest condition in the colors you prefer that's within your budget. Simple as that, regardless of whether it's a 4.2L or 5.0L.

This is my personal approach; but I have other faster cars as an option to take out for a drive should I want the superior power.

If this is going to be his only "fast car", then get a 5.0L, otherwise there might always be regrets from not having done so.

SLazz 05-01-2019 09:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll drive both the 4.2 and 5.0 and decide on which one scratches the "itch". I think both will satisfy the need for power. I do hope either one will have a more "sporting/firm" suspension than my 2007 XK which was too soft of a ride.

Anyway, whichever car I choose it will be a low mileage example in pristine condition. (I'm prepared to fork out the required cash.) Thanks again.

kj07xk 05-01-2019 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tervuren (Post 2063335)
Stoplights go from red to green. Not red, to yellow, to green.

You need to get around more. There are some communities where they actually do a red -> yellow -> green transition, kind of a 'ready, set, go!' countdown.
I had a WTF? moment the first time I saw it.

Tervuren 05-01-2019 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk (Post 2063735)
You need to get around more. There are some communities where they actually do a red -> yellow -> green transition, kind of a 'ready, set, go!' countdown.
I had a WTF? moment the first time I saw it.

A countdown would be nice.

The liability is someone times the count down without looking, and takes a collision with someone late through the intersection.

I am tall, I often cannot see the light, I watch the cross light and time from that. But when the cross light changes, I switch to sweeping what traffic is doing.

ralphwg 05-01-2019 11:36 PM

Having owned a 2008 XK, a 2012XK and currently a 2013XKR; my response to your query is by all means go for a 2010+ XKR. Test drive a late model XKR and you will understand where I am coming from.

AlexJag 05-02-2019 02:12 AM

Basic bolt ons and a tune to a 4.2 xkr and your at same power levels as a 5.0 xkr
And as far as all the research suggests 4.2 are just more reliable with less isues

sharx8 05-02-2019 04:05 AM

I know I am biased, but if I were looking today, I would look for a 2012+ XKR, as they still look current, have all the power of current offerings, are better looking than any F-Type IMHO, have more usable space and they are much more affordable as they approach the 7+ years mark.

The other thing is, there will ALWAYS be a premium for factory built 500+ HP sports cars. It will be a massive selling factor for years to come as it is such a rare plateau in a factory spec car and you will never tire of that power off the line.

Indeed, you will look for every opportunity to feel and hear that powerful engine, you will turn off the radio (Bowers and Wilkins no less, but off it goes), you will look for tunnels, you will look for chances to pull the 80 to 120 KM/H slingshot pass on the highway, you will look to take the top down, you will look for cops, you will look for criminals, you will tell your kids to shut up, you will be racked with guilt, you will ignore your stupid phone, you will curse your stupid phone, you will seek out stoplight launches in the right lane knowing full well it's blocked across the intersection and yet knowing that you will blow by anything in the left lane... Your wife will demand to get out of the car, because, you know, Karma. and then you get out hoping to save your marriage... you buy her a coffee, turn your head back and see the car... then you think to yourself... well......well.... WORTH IT!!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b7ac9ce0fa.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...fa4ff9a04f.jpg
Giddy-Up!

Did I mention 510 HP !?!

But I digress....

neilr 05-02-2019 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by SLazz (Post 2063649)
Thanks for the replies. I'll drive both the 4.2 and 5.0 and decide on which one scratches the "itch". I think both will satisfy the need for power. I do hope either one will have a more "sporting/firm" suspension than my 2007 XK which was too soft of a ride.

The 5.0 cars are somewhat stiffer, even the non-S/C 5.0. I would not rule the 5.0 XK out unless you must have the other extras of the XKR. The 5.0 S/C engine is amazingly eager though, whatever revs you are at. Very easy to drive quickly. For a big car, it is still quite fun to drive fast on windy roads.

u102768 05-02-2019 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by AlexJag (Post 2064110)
Basic bolt ons and a tune to a 4.2 xkr and your at same power levels as a 5.0 xkr

If you are talking about your car, your standing quarter terminal speed is still too low to be claiming that. It should be at least a couple of mph faster and that is taking in to account the extra weight of a convertible. My 5 litre XKR coupe when standard would regularly do over 115mph with a best of 115.73.

While it is still a very impressive result from a DIY tune I still reckon yours is around the 470 mark based on both a terminal speed/weight to hp calculator and from your dyno results.

Tervuren 05-02-2019 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by u102768 (Post 2064148)
If you are talking about your car, your standing quarter terminal speed is still too low to be claiming that. It should be at least a couple of mph faster and that is taking in to account the extra weight of a convertible. My 5 litre XKR coupe when standard would regularly do over 115mph with a best of 115.73.

While it is still a very impressive result from a DIY tune I still reckon yours is around the 470 mark based on both a terminal speed/weight to hp calculator and from your dyno results.

There is more to it than peak HP.

Shift Speed, 5.0L has it here.

The E-diff in the 5.0L XKR also gives a traction advantage.

If you really want a 4.2L to match a 5.0L you'd need to replace the differential and transmission.

These are two of the three things that hold me back from getting a 2008 Portfolio Convertible XKR.

steve_k_xk 05-02-2019 07:02 AM

Then tune the 5.0 and your at 600+ leaving the 4.2 well and truly behind .

The 5.0 looks more of a polished vehicle from the upgraded lights / front bar and monster torque

Please don't think I'm knocking the 4.2 it's a brilliant vehicle with a virtually bullet proof engine get in drive and no need to worry about waterpumps / high pressure injectors failing so I do see where Alex is coming from in that respect .

AlexJag 05-02-2019 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by u102768 (Post 2064148)

Terminal speed can very track to track , our tracks in California all have higher density altitude compared to Cambos 115 mph run which was at sea level . In my case Density altitude was at 2000 this is on a 12.55 112 mph run, +given fact my car also a convertible and is 100lb havier that alone would put it in 12.45 not even considering Density Altitude which factored in would put it around 12.3 mark . rwh of 432 on Mustang dynometer. With pulley only car was at 359rwh, if you do simple math it's def higher than 470. My before and after 13.3 vs 12.5 gained .8 of sec ,50 hp gain will not do that
How do you explain similar trap speed from 2012 CTS-v on same track night ? That car has 550hp stock

SuperTrav 05-02-2019 05:02 PM

SHHHH!!!

Originally Posted by sharx8 (Post 2064136)
I know I am biased, but if I were looking today, I would look for a 2012+ XKR, as they still look current, have all the power of current offerings, are better looking than any F-Type IMHO, have more usable space and they are much more affordable as they approach the 7+ years mark.

The other thing is, there will ALWAYS be a premium for factory built 500+ HP sports cars. It will be a massive selling factor for years to come as it is such a rare plateau in a factory spec car and you will never tire of that power off the line.

Indeed, you will look for every opportunity to feel and hear that powerful engine, you will turn off the radio (Bowers and Wilkins no less, but off it goes), you will look for tunnels, you will look for chances to pull the 80 to 120 KM/H slingshot pass on the highway, you will look to take the top down, you will look for cops, you will look for criminals, you will tell your kids to shut up, you will be racked with guilt, you will ignore your stupid phone, you will curse your stupid phone, you will seek out stoplight launches in the right lane knowing full well it's blocked across the intersection and yet knowing that you will blow by anything in the left lane... Your wife will demand to get out of the car, because, you know, Karma. and then you get out hoping to save your marriage... you buy her a coffee, turn your head back and see the car... then you think to yourself... well......well.... WORTH IT!!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b7ac9ce0fa.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...fa4ff9a04f.jpg
Giddy-Up!

Did I mention 510 HP !?!

But I digress....

Shhh, you're going to whip me up into a frenzy! I'm going to find you and hide in your bushes and wait for you to leave so I can hear it!

u102768 05-03-2019 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by AlexJag (Post 2064331)
Terminal speed can very track to track , our tracks in California all have higher density altitude compared to Cambos 115 mph run which was at sea level . In my case Density altitude was at 2000 this is on a 12.55 112 mph run

Apologies if I misunderstood but I assumed that your latest results were near sea level after you posted this on your other thread and your latest time slip was from there.

I will be going to Bakersfield track in Jan which is at near see level , so we will see what car traps at.

How do you explain similar trap speed from 2012 CTS-v on same track night ? That car has 550hp stock

Perhaps because the CTS-v has 551 lb-ft of torque whereas even a standard 4.2L XKR has 560 lb-ft? It is also heavier than the XKR.

The weight of the driver would have some influence as well. I don't know how large you are but I only weigh 66 kg/145 lbs so if I was racing against someone who was 110 kg/242 lbs, that would be another 100 lbs to take in to consideration.

If you ever get a chance you should weigh the car with you in it so you will then have an accurate figure to work with rather than guessing because things like different types of brakes can make a difference to the weight as can wheels, different exhaust configurations, etc.

Cambo 05-03-2019 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by u102768 (Post 2064617)
The weight of the driver would have some influence as well......I only weigh 66 kg/145 lbs....

My XKR coupe with Alcons weighed in at 1760kg with a 1/4 tank of fuel (3881lbs) which is already 74kgs (163lbs) heavier than what it says in the specs for an XKR coupe.
I weigh ~130kg (287lbs) and when the car was on the weighbridge, with me as well, it was 1890kg (4168lbs) "race weight"
It did a few 115.5mph traps, and pretty much all the calculators say for 4168lbs, that's 500hp.
I should have got you to drive it for a 140lb weight reduction... calculators tell me at 500hp, 4027lbs would be a tenth quicker, and 116.8mph trap.