Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Instrument Cluster Lights (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/instrument-cluster-lights-213709/)

arenaej 02-06-2019 06:27 PM

Instrument Cluster Lights

I noticed today that the center section of my instrument cluster wasn’t illuminated. It’s the section with the clock, fuel gauge, mileage. After about 10 miles, I noticed that it was illuminated as normal. I made a couple of stops and all was normal, then on my way home it darkened again. When it’s not illuminated you can see it, but it’s sort of “grayed out”. I have a 2 month old AGM battery and use my CTEK each night. Search didn’t help. Ideas?

jagtoes 02-06-2019 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by arenaej (Post 2024248)
I noticed today that the center section of my instrument cluster wasn’t illuminated. It’s the section with the clock, fuel gauge, mileage. After about 10 miles, I noticed that it was illuminated as normal. I made a couple of stops and all was normal, then on my way home it darkened again. When it’s not illuminated you can see it, but it’s sort of “grayed out”. I have a 2 month old AGM battery and use my CTEK each night. Search didn’t help. Ideas?

Take off the Ctek and check the battery voltage after a few hours. 12.6V

Cambo 02-06-2019 08:24 PM

It's a fairly common issue with the instrument cluster in the 2007-2009 models unfortunately... age is catching up with them...

arenaej 02-06-2019 09:05 PM

If I find a replacement, is it plug and play? Will it show my mileage or that of the donor car? Thanks.

Cambo 02-06-2019 09:13 PM

No, definitely not plug & play, and even if you do get it programmed to your car it will still show the VIN and mileage of the donor.

I think someone with some electronics repair know-how would be able to check the LCD and clean / re-do the ribbon cable connections to the screen itself.

Or in the worst case replacing the screen would be possible, if a spare unit could be located.

I seem to recall someone already looked into this, I can't remember where I saw it though...

Stuart S 02-06-2019 09:21 PM

Is your CTEK set to Winter Mode (Snowflake Icon)? If not, your AGM battery isn't getting fully charged. Winter Mode is the AGM charging profile, even in the Summer. Your OEM alternator and voltage regulator were designed for flooded batteries, not AGM.

arenaej 02-06-2019 09:46 PM

I just did another search and found the answer. Cambo, you are correct. The center lcd connects with a ribbon cable. Replacement is possible. Since it’s working and still visible even when it’s dim I think i’ll live with it for now.

Stuart, My CTEK is set to winter mode always. Thanks.

Cambo 02-06-2019 09:54 PM

I missed the mention of the battery. Why did you put an AGM in this car? It's not meant to have one.... AGM's should only be used in cars where an AGM is the original fitment.

AGM batteries require a different charging method than a conventional lead acid battery, the alternator in the XK is designed to charge a regular lead acid battery, it will overcharge an AGM.

Conversely I have seen some crazy stuff happen to the electronics in cars when an AGM was fitted in place of a standard lead acid battery, after putting the correct battery in the car, everything went back to normal.

It's a common misconception that AGM is better. No! it's only better if the electrical system in the car was designed for it.

arenaej 02-06-2019 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo (Post 2024332)
I missed the mention of the battery. Why did you put an AGM in this car? It's not meant to have one.... AGM's should only be used in cars where an AGM is the original fitment.

AGM batteries require a different charging method than a conventional lead acid battery, the alternator in the XK is designed to charge a regular lead acid battery, it will overcharge an AGM.

Conversely I have seen some crazy stuff happen to the electronics in cars when an AGM was fitted in place of a standard lead acid battery, after putting the correct battery in the car, everything went back to normal.

It's a common misconception that AGM is better. No! it's only better if the electrical system in the car was designed for it.

I suppose I’m the victim of a battery salesman and some conflicting info I read somewhere.

Ranchero50 02-07-2019 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by arenaej (Post 2024329)
I just did another search and found the answer. Cambo, you are correct. The center lcd connects with a ribbon cable. Replacement is possible. Since it’s working and still visible even when it’s dim I think i’ll live with it for now.

Stuart, My CTEK is set to winter mode always. Thanks.

Yes, the LCD module is replaceable without damaging the cluster. It's pretty much plug and play. The ones from the same generation XF's are direct swaps. I picked up a cheap cluster off eBay for the gauge sheets and got the LCD module as a bonus.

arenaej 02-07-2019 08:50 AM

I found a local repair shop for the instrument cluster:
Powls Speedometer Repair
717-898-2552

If I bring them the cluster it’s $250-$450 plus parts. They have done them before. It may just be the cable, the LCD or a main board repair. They won’t know until they see it. Seems much cheaper than a new cluster. From what I’m seeing here, by the time I remove the cluster it’s not brain surgery to replace the LCD or cable , or both. To quote Ranchero50 on another thread, I’ll “put up with it until I can’t”.

On the AGM battery part of this discussion, I went back to see what I looked at when making that choice. I considered it first because I saw some on this forum with 2007-2009 XK’s that have used them without incident. I see many sources that, when comparing AGM to wet cell say that in vehicles with lot’s of electronics and accessories and vehicles that don’t see regular use (that’s mine), AGM is a viable choice when paired with the proper maintainer. After Re-reading everything, I would make the same choice. I do appreciate the knowledge and opinions expressed here.

arenaej 02-07-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 2024461)
Yes, the LCD module is replaceable without damaging the cluster. It's pretty much plug and play. The ones from the same generation XF's are direct swaps. I picked up a cheap cluster off eBay for the gauge sheets and got the LCD module as a bonus.

Ranchero50 - I sent you a pm. Thanks.

Ranchero50 02-07-2019 11:46 AM

Here's a whole assembly if you want to go silver faced gauges. Their not too difficult to swap out. Truth in advertising they aren't that great at dusk because the back light makes the numbers disappear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Jaguar...3zU:rk:12:pf:0

arenaej 02-08-2019 12:59 PM

Here’s a link to the center lcd screen on eBay. It’s new, labeled for XF, but thanks to Ranchero50 we know that it will also fit the XK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Color-LCD-d...53.m2749.l2649

Queen and Country 02-08-2019 01:11 PM

Wow $40 for an instrument cluster.
This is where owing a Jaguar pays off.
Look what it is for the Aston. $1000, and only one available worldwide. Grand for the Maserati too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedometer...frcectupt=true
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedometer....c100752.m1982

shemp 02-08-2019 04:40 PM

Just let it die. Then you won't have to worry about seeing the annoying TMPS light show when that inevitably goes to sh!t. :icon_goofygrin:

arenaej 02-08-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 2025108)
Just let it die. Then you won't have to worry about seeing the annoying TMPS light show when that inevitably goes to sh!t. :icon_goofygrin:

haha...you are right. I do need to know what my gas situation is😎

jagtoes 02-08-2019 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by arenaej (Post 2025117)

haha...you are right. I do need to know what my gas situation is😎

Just plug in a torque pro and you can see your fuel level from there.

arenaej 02-23-2019 01:21 PM

Here’s an update on my instrument cluster display. I decided to do a hard reset as an experiment, so disconnected the battery cables and touched them together for a minute. Re-set the e-brake, windows, etc. The center display was illuminated when I started the car. Ran a bunch of errands, stop and start 5 or 6 times over 35 miles of driving. It stayed illuminated the whole time. Hopefully that’s it. I did order the replacement I found on eBay. It’s on a slow boat from China.

guy 02-25-2019 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by arenaej (Post 2031392)
Here’s an update on my instrument cluster display. I decided to do a hard reset as an experiment, so disconnected the battery cables and touched them together for a minute. Re-set the e-brake, windows, etc. The center display was illuminated when I started the car. Ran a bunch of errands, stop and start 5 or 6 times over 35 miles of driving. It stayed illuminated the whole time. Hopefully that’s it. I did order the replacement I found on eBay. It’s on a slow boat from China.

Peculiar that this is my goto resort for any electrical issue on the car. Thank goodness it only takes marginal time to complete.Thanks for following up.