XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jaguar Villain Academy

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Jaguar Villain Academy

Just signed up for this event in Austin Tx May 9-10th.

Track time is Saturday morning, going to see what the 550hp F coupe is all about.

I'll leave some car left for those of you who filled up the Sat after session.

Will be arriving Fri afternoon, stop and say Hi.

https://www.rsvpjaguar.com/villain/index.aspx

Steve

Last edited by Fastlane'scat; 03-29-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastlane'scat
Just signed up for this event in Austin Tx May 9-10th.

Track time is Saturday morning, going to see what the 550hp F coupe is all about.

I'll leave some car left for those of you who filled up the Sat after session.

Will be arriving Fri afternoon, stop and say Hi.

https://www.rsvpjaguar.com/villain/index.aspx

Steve
At a price of $1200 per person, my question is:

How much track time does each entry get?

That is not discussed on their website. Looks like drivers are split between a morning session and afternoon session, so time appears very limited.

Great track however, top notch world class.

Keep in mind that you can go to any Jaguar dealer in a few months and get a test drive for FREE.

And hey, you could be like Jeff Gordon taking the Chevy Camaro for a test ride, which would probably be much more fun that the Jaguar Academy.

Last edited by richzak; 03-29-2014 at 04:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

There's a little more in it than just track time:

The Jaguar Villain Academy is available on a fee basis for any U.S. or Canadian licensed driver who is at least 25 years old. The cost for the event is $1,199.00. Certain restrictions apply and the limited number of spots are provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Participant is responsible for all travel expenses to the event location. Event fee includes one-night hotel accommodation in a standard room at the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Hotel, a welcome reception the evening prior to your track experience, and transportation to/from the hotel and the racetrack. The event fee also includes all safety equipment the day of the event, vehicle instruction, and breakfast and/or lunch at the racetrack.
Still, 1,200 bucks is a chunk of change!

Old 03-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
There's a little more in it than just track time:

Still, 1,200 bucks is a chunk of change!
Safety equipment is mostly likely a requirement of COTA rules and regs to reduce liability as well to Jaguar. Safety equipment is probably a helmet, not much more, and perhaps a drivers suit.

Hotel, breakfast & lunch doesn't count for much. Drivers are required to pay own transportation to Austin, TX.

I am very curious to determine the amount of track time each driver gets or the number of laps.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm not sure about the Villain Academy but the Advanced R Performance Academy was 95% track all day. The morning session had some timed lap, skid pad and autocross. The afternoon is all lead follow one on one sessions, and one timed session to see your progress from morning to evening.

It was a long exhausting day, but the amount of fast track time and instruction was impressive for any school.

Last edited by MaximA; 03-29-2014 at 07:36 PM.
richzak (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaximA
I'm not sure about the Villain Academy but the Advanced R Performance Academy was 95% track all day. The morning session had some timed lap, skid pad and autocross. The afternoon is all lead follow and one on one sessions, and one timed session to see your progress from morning to evening.

It was a long exhausting day, but the amount of fast track time and instruction was impressive for any school.
I am not attending....but good to hear this news above.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:33 PM
Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

I should be there also. Although on the 8th for a level 3 driving course. Im assuming it will be similar to the advanced course. At least i hope so since the advanced was 5 minutes on handling oval and about 6hrs on track. Exhausting day as max stated above. Im pretty sure there will be nothing left in the f type i will be using (sorry from now).. As at last academy me and davy jones literally ran a brg xkr till it gave up on us. Wish they could have a gt there for me but i already was told they will not have one there for me or for anyone to use. They did promise me an f type r specifically for me though.....probably because they want me to buy one

Old 03-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by russduka
.....probably because they want me to buy one
Yeah, mate, you've got 'previous'*, as they say over here - the Jag boys know you like shiny things

* probably 'priors' in the US

Old 03-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by russduka
I should be there also. Although on the 8th for a level 3 driving course. Im assuming it will be similar to the advanced course. At least i hope so since the advanced was 5 minutes on handling oval and about 6hrs on track. Exhausting day as max stated above. Im pretty sure there will be nothing left in the f type i will be using (sorry from now).. As at last academy me and davy jones literally ran a brg xkr till it gave up on us. Wish they could have a gt there for me but i already was told they will not have one there for me or for anyone to use. They did promise me an f type r specifically for me though.....probably because they want me to buy one
I might see you there, I'm trying to clear my schedule for the level 3 class. I have a feeling we are going to have the F-Type shoved down our throats. I really like their group of instructors, as they really got rid of some of my bad habits. Of course any good school will do that but doing it in a Jag is better.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaximA
I have a feeling we are going to have the F-Type shoved down our throats.
Of course - you don't need that old, outdated XKR, why not upgrade to this shiny new F-Type R? These events are sales, pure & simple.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

The R events aren't that bad, they are more coaching based. They are one on one and lead follow. The other events take a car load of people around a track, there really is no driver and track coaching at all. Its nice to get track instruction in a car you drive everyday, without beating up your car.

I've been to other classes and learned a few different things here I didn't at others and I already have a track background.

Although I find it funny that Davy has no tolerance for modified cars. As how can a engineers with billions not get it right.. Simple the accounting, marketing and design departments. If not every performance car would have 700HP, full active suspension and Carbon/ceramic rotors with Beryllium calipers. With a stickers of 250k...

Old 03-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Could you elaborate on Davy having no tolerance for modified cars? I'm curious!

MaximA (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Could you elaborate on Davy having no tolerance for modified cars? I'm curious!
I'm about to head out for a run but will elaborate when I get back. I think it may be more of a distaste for improperly modified cars, then ones that have some actual research, engineering and planning behind them.

Executive (03-31-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

If you want to attend a "real" driving school, and have a blast, learn allot about how to control a car, driving skills, then I highly suggest one of these schools.

Racing Programs « Skip Barber Racing School

ABRS Formula Car Programs | Driving Training Programs and the Ultimate Racing Experience | Programs in Los Angeles and Orange County Areas

https://simracewaydrivingschool.com/...racing-school/

MaximA (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

I've been to a few skip Barber classes, but I'm comparing them to other manufacturer schools. The AMG, BMW, and Porsche schools.

Those other two schools look incredible, I'll have to check those out.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

The no tolerance was at least from what I sensed, was more of a understanding what your doing and why. All the instructors are that way and I ended up having long conversation with them concerning the topic. From what I can tell he feels if you drive your XKR on the street then why modify. If you track it then understand what you are doing, as a lot of money and engineering went into what you are driving, so what makes you think you know better.

Everyone has their own desires and to each his own as long as you're happy.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like 4.5 hours of track time, so I'm figuring about $250/hr. About the average cost for a lawyer.
I look fowards to this as a fun/learning experience and memories. Heavens know I pissed away $1000 before and don't even remember it.

I'm sure Jag will put on an exceptional event.

MaximA (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

Factor in fuel, tires, and brakes and its about even.

We went through some tires and brakes at the level 2 class. Those cars were beat and overheating by the end of the day. Tires were on the cords and the rotors were nice and blue. There is no way they are using factory pads, as the brake dust was very low.

The all day level 1&2 class is no test drive, but I can't speak for the half day class. Level 2 they aren't trying to sell you, its some serious track time and half the class stopped before the end due to exhaustion. It was track, then class then track again.