Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jaguar XK ALC - the better X150

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Default Jaguar XK ALC - the better X150

Came across Ian Callum's original XK concept ALC again after 10 years and was reminded how the powers that be at Ford made horrible changes to the cosmetics and trim. If Callum had his way, I believe the XK would have been on par with cars twice it's MSRP. Check out the custom shifter assembly, interior door pulls, gauges, sleek exterior door releases, etc. Instead we got some old recycled parts from the S-ype & XJ. I even like how the exhaust is integrated into the rear bumper, something that has always bothered with the production version with pipes dangling and exposed. And I would much prefer the front bumper ducts to the silly fogs and mesh grilles on the XKR.

The following users liked this post:
Jacsun (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Actually, it's pretty amazing how much made it from concept to production. Glad the 'mustard' interior didn't.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Because I'm old school, I prefer the wood interior trim in my 2009 XKR Portfolio. I was surprised that my shift knob looks just like the concept! The front bumper cooling duct design is used on the current XJR. The concept's grille crossbar paid homage to the E-Type but was a mistake only because the Taurus also used that design. It was used on the 2007 models but dropped thereafter.

I'm not a fan of the concept's tailpipe design and prefer the quad exhaust tips. Overall, I think the 2008-2009 body design approaches perfection with it's classic understated elegance and beautiful and sensual flowing lines, with the only significant improvement being the LED taillights that began with the 2010 models. I'm not a fan of the later model catfish face.

Last edited by Stuart S; 05-22-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Because I'm old school, I prefer the wood interior trim in my 2009 XKR Portfolio. I was surprised that my shift knob looks just like the concept! The front bumper cooling duct design is used on the current XJR. The concept's grille crossbar paid homage to the E-Type but was a mistake only because the Taurus also used that design. It was used on the 2007 models but dropped thereafter.

I'm not a fan of the concept's tailpipe design and prefer the quad exhaust tips. Overall, I think the 2008-2009 body design approaches perfection with it's classic understated elegance and beautiful and sensual flowing lines, with the only significant improvement being the LED taillights that began with the 2010 models. I'm not a fan of the later model catfish face.
I like the wood in your car a lot, and don't care much for the concept's aluminum weave. But the FULL shifter assembly suits the car more than the generic old left over matte black one that made it to the production version.

I too prefer quad exhausts, but ours look cheap and unfinished compared the ALC's integrated into the bumper with a full custom finish and much higher end.

I have not seen the portfolio shift knob in person, do you have better pics to share of yours? If it is identical, I want one.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

So this is the first I have seen this car. I feel in love with the manufactured version, when I see this one it to me is the less attractive. Maybe you had the opposite, you saw the concept version first and fell in love with it and now the production model is a lesser iteration to you.

I prefer my exhaust, i don't like that front bumper and the splitter's on the side, the handles are nice but who cares. I didn't know that the final version handles shared with another car and it does not bother me, after all the concept is dreamed up by auto-artist who don't care about manufacturing costs. Engineers and costing analysts then have to make it work at a price point that sells and makes the company margin, therefore design compromises occur.

To think that these subtle differences would have put this on par with cars twice it's MSRP is a stretch!

Old 05-22-2016, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I would love those mirrors on my 2010.
After coming from an '07, the 2010 mirrors are annoyingly huge!

Old 05-22-2016, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

I am not saying that I would prefer the concept, I am saying there are specific elements of the cosmetic design that I feel are superior to the production version. Elements that would have elevated this car above other Jags at this time.

Numerous times on this forum I have seen people comment on how certain aspects of these cars feel cheap. What I am saying is touches like the shifter assembly, interior door grab handles, exhaust trim, etc give the ALC a certain level above the production versions that cheaped out with generic plastic and recycled parts from other Jag models. I think this is probably partially due to Ford being conservative and tight with money, which was well known as an issue with both Jaguar and Rover.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:13 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I prefer the final production car over that one.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
I prefer the final production car over that one.
Really
I'm not a fan of all of our big chunky side mirrors the concept mirrors fit in perfectly with the shape of the body

Old 05-23-2016, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

There is an assumption that they could of built all that at the same price of the car they did. I doubt it.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
To think that these subtle differences would have put this on par with cars twice it's MSRP is a stretch!
Here's another way to look at it. A new XKR-S WAS roughly double the price of a base XK and it still had that same 10+ year old console lid armrest cover.

Last edited by jahummer; 05-23-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
There is an assumption that they could of built all that at the same price of the car they did. I doubt it.
I am not assuming that at all. I doubt it would have cost that much more and I am certain it would not have had any negative impact on sales.

Gentlemen, you don't have to defend your justifications for buying these cars.

I love them too, enough to buy two X150s, a convertible for leisure cruising and the coupe R for "tearing" it up.

I'm just saying what if...

Old 05-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Here's another way to look at it. A new XKR-S WAS roughly double the price of a base XK and it still had that same 10+ year old console lid armrest cover.
What did they sell, 10 of those a year? You can't possibly think that because they had one VERY low selling unit that it could solve engineering and manufacturing and propel the entire model line cost requirements.

Originally Posted by jahummer
I am not assuming that at all. I doubt it would have cost that much more and I am certain it would not have had any negative impact on sales.

Gentlemen, you don't have to defend your justifications for buying these cars.

I love them too, enough to buy two X150s, a convertible for leisure cruising and the coupe R for "tearing" it up.

I'm just saying what if...
I guess it comes down to this, you see the concept and think a "what if" on the differences, I see the concept and say "I don't care". I understand where you are coming from but don't share in your opinion. All the little differences in door handle, mirror, shifter, bumper, or whatever else are lost on me. If you didn't point them out I wouldn't even notice.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

You are absolutely spot on Jahummer.
A cheap interior and less than stellar motor is what Killed the XK. They could never claw back even when they fixed it in 2009+ models. (2010 is US).

Clarkson who is a huge JLR supporter and an even bigger patriot when it comes to British engineering; ripped the XKR for felling like it was cheaply made with acres of plastic and tin foil. He never reviewed the 2009 model where they seem to have categorical fixed what Jeremy was complaining about. Too late, you dont a second honeymoon as the new and improved you. Usually has to be with someone else. There was no bigger fan than Clarkson.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

To each his/her own as the saying goes. I will add though, the fact that the first production versions followed so closely to the concept is more than unusual.

As I remember it, we were trying to be as careful as possible to not have too much negative effect on Jaguar at the time. That aside, one has to admit that the most significant contribution from Ford was to dramatically improve the TGW reputation of Jaguar. Hopefully, TATA has taken that into account and continues that effort.

I didn't think the concept design could be improved on but am still blown away by what sits in my garage right now. Concepts are meant to inspire the finish product but Callum's version is very nearer a reflection in that respect. As to the finer points, that is why we customize and mod.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

BTW not using this leather color was a Huge mistake. Its the preferred color in every supercar from Ferrari to Paganini. Instead they went with colors that capitulated to geriatric tastes. Ivory, Navy. Jesus. Forgive me in advance for all those whom I've offended.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
guy (05-24-2016), jahummer (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Its a great car... I love it for what it is... purity in line . The Japanese are taking car lines and to be different going wild with them... The germans... they look like boxes - less Mercedes then BMW.... jag still continues with purity of line... Id like to enjoy it the rest of my life and its going to get expensive when the miles get up there

Loth.

The following 3 users liked this post by Lothar52:
guy (05-24-2016), Panthro (02-16-2020), Stuart S (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Its a great car... I love it for what it is... purity in line . The Japanese are taking car lines and to be different going wild with them... The germans... they look like boxes - less Mercedes then BMW.... jag still continues with purity of line... Id like to enjoy it the rest of my life and its going to get expensive when the miles get up there

Loth.
+1

Old 05-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Actually, it's pretty amazing how much made it from concept to production.
Originally Posted by pwpacp
To each his/her own as the saying goes. I will add though, the fact that the first production versions followed so closely to the concept is more than unusual.
Not certain how much of a concept the ALC was considering it was revealed only months before you could buy one. If you take a look at some of his other concepts, as you say, they are no where near what the production version became.

All the little differences in door handle, mirror, shifter, bumper, or whatever else are lost on me. If you didn't point them out I wouldn't even notice.
I don't know about you, but every time I drive the car, I use the shifter, the interior door handles, the speedometer and the armrest, so I notice these things. I've also had an S-Type R and XJ Super V8 and all of these cars share the same console lid and similar shifters. When I look at what Callum was doing with the ALC, I think, wow he really was trying to elevate the car and the brand. I've also spent time in other high end marques from Mercedes, Bentley, etc and also notice how much care is given to the esthetics.

So this is the first I have seen this car. I feel in love with the manufactured version, when I see this one it to me is the less attractive. Maybe you had the opposite, you saw the concept version first and fell in love with it and now the production model is a lesser iteration to you.
Well, I am very happy that Jaguar made a perfectly flawless car for you

I prefer my exhaust
Please don't take this the wrong way but how much of a difference is there between the XKR rear quad exhaust trim and a Mustang with the same exhaust trim? Please look at the Maserati GT quad exhaust, F-Type R quad exhaust and many other sport cars in a similar price range. Whether anyone's cup of tea, at least the ALC design tried to make the exhaust special and unique and not generic.

Again, what I am saying is, look how close to production the ALC was and how much more high-end it could have been for a $100K+ car.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lothar52

Loth.
Agreed, plus you have an XKR-S which I am kicking myself for not buying when I had the chance.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XK ALC - the better X150