XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Key Fob question….

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:31 AM
Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Key Fob question….

Well, I seem to have lost one of my key fobs (definitely some where in the house or garage), so, unless I find it over the next few days I will need to purchase another one. By the time all is said and done the dealership I called said it would run aprx $800. Canadian. If thats what it costs, thats what it costs but my question is this. On Ebay there is a complete fob including key for $160 U.S. Does anyone know if it can be reprogrammed? I have an 07' and this fob is from an 09'. The dealership was not sure and said they will call me back in a couple of days… wtf. Any insight is appreciated.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

There's conflicting info out there on this topic.
Some say (maybe some dealers?) that they can't be reprogrammed, it's a one-shot deal.
Others say that the fob needs to be properly unpaired from its mate vehicle before it can be fully reprogrammed for a different car (and it probably takes a dealer's equipment to do that).

So I'm curious what your dealer will say.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:34 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same problem. I actually won one off eBay, and then the seller responded saying he didnt know if it had been de-programmed and there were not refunds.

I haven't paid for it yet. Not sure what to do.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:40 AM

The dealer response does seems strange. I'll call a couple more and see what they have to say. In my simple mind, the fob should be able to be deprogrammed and then reprogrammed.
I'll post what I find out from my calls.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:37 PM

According to another dealer, if they have the vin of the car that is missing the fob and the vin of the wrecked car that is 'donating' a fob they will be able to tell if they are compatible and as such reprogram the 'new' fob.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

There seems to have been a lot of confusion in the dealer network around this which is why Jaguar issued a 30 plus page guide with flow charts on how to program fobs. That implies that you can only reuse a fob if it has been reset to 'Default' status and that you need the original car to do that otherwise it is 'scrap' although I do recall seeing a thread on here a few years ago where the poster claimed to have got a fob reset by a local keysmith.

One of my fobs is broken so I would like to get it replaced although it will still work in the dock if I need to start the car in an emergency.

This is from the programming guide:

Smart Key function & programming strategies:

The “passive” key data shared between the Smart Key and the Keyless Vehicle Module (KVM) can be updated and relearned over and over again. If something goes wrong, it is possible to start over again with no harm done. However, the “active” key data which is shared between the Smart Key and the Instrument Cluster (IC) Module is NOT as easily managed or relearned. This is due to the fact that when the “active” key code is programmed within the Smart Key, and the IC, a “default code” in the key is replaced with a “secret code” randomly generated by the IC during the procedure. This process can be described as “pairing” a specific Smart Key with a specific IC. The IC keeps a list of Smart Keys that it has been “paired” with. This would be described as the IC’s “key-ring”.

There are many rules that control how the “active” key functions and how Smart Keys and ICs are programmed.

1. When Smart Keys are brand new, they are delivered to the dealer with a “default code”, and are considered to be in “default” status.

2. During Key Programming, as a Smart Key is “paired” with an IC, the “default code” is replaced with that IC's CURRENT “secret code”. Smart Keys that have been successfully programmed to a vehicle are considered as “paired”.

3. Only Smart Keys in “default” status can be “paired” with an IC.

4. When a vehicle is first delivered to the dealership from Jaguar Cars, there are 2 original keys “paired” to the original IC, and provided with the vehicle.

5. Any time the vehicle needs to have keys programmed, the process is designed to do the following. (Not in this exact order, but all steps are included.)
a. Perform the “passive” Smart Key programming steps; if this is successful the application will continue to perform the remaining “active” key programming steps.
b. Reset all currently “paired” Smart Keys present during this procedure back to a “default” status by replacing the CURRENT “secret code” with the “default code”. (NOTE: Only the keys currently on this ICs’ “key-ring” that share the CURRENT “secret code” can be reset back to a “default code”)
c. Remove all currently “paired” keys from IC’s “key-ring”.
d. Generate a new “secret code” within the IC.
e. Program all keys currently present by replacing the “default code” with the NEW “secret code” from the IC, “pairing” each of these keys.
f. Add each of these newly “paired” keys to the ICs “key-ring”.

6. After any key programming procedure is completed, any keys for this vehicle that still have the PREVIOUS “secret code” have been removed from the IC's CURRENT “key-ring”, and because the IC is now using a NEW “secret code” this key has been “orphaned”.

7. Keys that have been “orphaned” are considered scrap due to the following:
a. “Orphaned” keys will not function on the original vehicle for “active starting” due to the mismatched “secret codes”.
b. “Orphaned” keys cannot be reset back to the “default” status because its “secret code” is no longer shared with any IC to enable this process.
c. A Smart Keys cannot be “paired” with any IC unless they are in the “default” status.

8. In the event that an owner misplaces a Smart Key, this key should be “deactivated” for security reasons. When a replacement is obtained, and successfully programmed to the vehicle along with all other available keys, the one “misplaced” key will become “orphaned”. This is how a lost Smart Key can be deliberately “deactivated”

Additional considerations related to "Active" key functionality:

The IC replacement process has special requirements due to this complex “key-ring” and “secret code” strategy previously described.

1. Before the old IC is removed from the vehicle, the technician must first use the special “Erase All Current Keys” function on IDS. This will manage the following steps.
a. Reset all currently “paired” Smart Keys present during this procedure back to a “default” status by replacing the CURRENT “secret code” with the “default code”. (NOTE: Only the keys currently on this IC's “key-ring” that share the CURRENT “secret code” can be reset back to a “default code”)
b. Remove all currently “paired” keys from IC’s “key-ring”.

2. At this point, all existing keys have been reset back to “default” status and are ready to be “paired” with the replacement IC.

3. The original IC can now be replaced with the new one.

4. When a new IC is being installed in the vehicle, the technician is required to use the “Configure New Modules” option on IDS to complete the task.

5. During this procedure, among the other programming and set-up steps, IDS will perform a typical “Key Programming” procedure as described above, but without the “passive” key programming steps. (The KVM retains the “passive” key codes and functions, so “passive” programming is not required when replacing an IC.)

The following 3 users liked this post by u102768:
aah78 (03-02-2024), Fstbmw1 (10-18-2016), guy (03-19-2022)
Old 10-18-2016, 07:37 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

When I bought my xk a few years ago it came with only one beat up fob so I wasn't taking a chance and bought another from the dealer, took a deep breath and paid the bill.Since then I have checked out all sorts on ebay,crags list u name it they are all junk or don't work properly, stay with oem. Just my two cents worth.

Randy

Old 10-18-2016, 10:02 PM

Well, my wife found the spare fob. Turns out it was in our bar behind the red wine, thankfully it was time for another bottle Thanks to you all for your input

The following 2 users liked this post by Fstbmw1:
indyx358 (01-24-2024), V7Sport (07-29-2020)
Old 10-24-2016, 08:03 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

U102,

I agree with nearly everything listed on the Key Fob guide you put down but with a few exceptions.
- I recently bought a used key fob for my XF and had an Indy Jag shop(with proper software) reprogram it. Like the article said, it does require deprogramming all keys involved then reprogramming them through the KVM and ICM. So it is possible to do so without having to buy a new key preset to default mode.
- To add to all of this, the KVM modules have a very bad reputation for reprogramming and have to be replaced often. So much so, from what i was told, Jaguar got involved in replacing many of them for free.
- Last caveat, evidently for the XF fobs they transmit in two frequencies. One for European and a different one for American market so obviously, you must know which used fob you are buying.
- Jaguar is one of the very few car makes that even experienced locksmiths cannot program, so it is best to take it to the dealer where they will have the entire range of software necessary to reprogram. I paid $70 for a virtually new "used" fob off Ebay and paid about $300 to have it programmed.
- As well, I have sold a few used fobs off of salvage cars in the past that have worked out well for those that bought them.

Jag doesn't make it easy. As I mentioned, all of these experiences are with a 2013 XF so things may vary with earlier XKs.

The following users liked this post:
u102768 (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

When I bought my 2010 XKR about 3 years ago, it came with only one fob. I bought one off of ebay, had it deprogrammed, programmed, and it works just fine. In fact, it is the one I use everyday, and the original doesn't seem to work any longer, but they both did for quite a while. So, if the need arises, you can buy a used fob, and have it work. I probably spent $200 between the fob, key blank, and programming.

u102768 (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
When I bought my 2010 XKR about 3 years ago, it came with only one fob. I bought one off of ebay, had it deprogrammed, programmed, and it works just fine. In fact, it is the one I use everyday, and the original doesn't seem to work any longer, but they both did for quite a while. So, if the need arises, you can buy a used fob, and have it work. I probably spent $200 between the fob, key blank, and programming.
Who did the deprogramming/programming? Dealer or other?

Old 10-25-2016, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kenbowen
U102,
- I recently bought a used key fob for my XF and had an Indy Jag shop(with proper software) reprogram it.
That is good to know, thanks. There is hope that I can replace my faulty one then without resorting to buying a brand new one then. I can program them myself but don't know how to get a used one back to the default status.

Originally Posted by kenbowen
- Last caveat, evidently for the XF fobs they transmit in two frequencies. One for European and a different one for American market so obviously, you must know which used fob you are buying.
The one for my XKR is a third type. It is the same frequency as the US fobs but is Japanese spec so 'low power'. I don't know if I can still use a US spec one with my car or whether there is something else different about them. I have to pretty much stand next to the car to get the fob to work so they definitely are low power!

Old 10-25-2016, 04:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
When I bought my 2010 XKR about 3 years ago, it came with only one fob. I bought one off of ebay, had it deprogrammed, programmed, and it works just fine.
Thanks for confirming that. Yours was possibly the experience I mentioned in my original post.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

kj07XK,
I called several independent locksmiths to ask them if they had the ability to do the programming. I found one near me and went there. He had a little trouble as this was the first Jaguar he had ever done. However, he was able to do it. You need to ask if they have Jaguar computer software to program the keys.

Privilegedjaguar (02-28-2023)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by v8deuce
When I bought my xk a few years ago it came with only one beat up fob .......
No use to the OP Fstbmw1 with a missing fob but for anyone with a worn remote fob, Jaguar do replacement covers and side chromes:

Key fob black cover - P/N C2P15135
Chrome fob end cap covers - P/N C2P15136

Mine are both good as new for 10 UKP each.

Graham

barnsie (07-30-2020)
Old 10-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Just to clarify a couple of things.

For the X150 XK there are two types of keyfob, they changed by model year.

Single-channel from 2006MY to 2008.5MY
Multi-channel from 2009MY onward

These fobs are not interchangeable i.e. you cannot use a 2009 onward fob in a 2006-2008 car and vice-versa.

If a 2nd hand fob has not been "unprogrammed" from the donor car it's not going to be much use, even if you can pair it to the car (with a bit of hacking), it will not "work" when you put it in the key slot in the center console.

So yes, any 2nd hand key fobs for the X150 XK (and the X250 XF) absolutely must be "unprogrammed" from their donor car if they are going to be useful.

007XKR (07-29-2020)
Old 10-25-2016, 05:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Cambo...."So yes, any 2nd hand key fobs for the X150 XK (and the X250 XF) absolutely must be "unprogrammed" from their donor car if they are going to be useful."

I do know for sure that there was no other car besides my own there while my fleabay fob was being programmed so I kind of doubt that the exact unprogramming procedure you speak of was done by the seller. I cannot guarantee it but I highly doubt it. As I mentioned, I have sold two other used fobs off a 2012 XF salvage and they were both successfully reprogrammed without me ever having unprogrammed either of them.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
For the X150 XK there are two types of keyfob, they changed by model year.

Single-channel from 2006MY to 2008.5MY
Multi-channel from 2009MY onward
Slight correction - according to the parts system the change point was VIN B12815 which is part way through the 2007 MY.

007XKR (07-29-2020)
Old 10-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Thanks for the corrections.

Regarding the "still programmed" used fobs working, yes they can work, however you might find some problems if you put the fob into the slot of the center console in the XK.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems to be a lot of confusion on this subject. Why is it some can reuse the keys without "deprogramming" and other not?

Quick Reply: Key Fob question….