Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Laptop / code checking prior to purchase. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/laptop-code-checking-prior-purchase-194971/)

‘Oleguy 01-09-2018 08:03 AM

Laptop / code checking prior to purchase.

Hello,
I have been reading here on the forum and I see there is talk of using a laptop to check for codes. I am going to pick up my ‘08 XKR this weekend so I’d like to know what this subject and actions are needed to check this out on the car. I’d appreciate any info on this process. I’m not real savvy with in depth electronics but I do have basics down...I think.
I do have laptops but what do I need to connect up.

Current owner is 2nd , car has 70k wasn’t real knowledgeable when I asked in-depth maintenance records. Said he just took it regularly in for service and to dealer when the local shop was beyound capabilities.

Thanks!

LoudHogRider 01-09-2018 09:36 AM

Code readers are relatively inexpensive and alongside a good CTEK battery maintainer, almost must haves for Jaguar ownership.

I've purchased two Jaguars remotely, and there are pre-sale services that will go do an inspection for you for a fee, which typically includes code readership. It sounds like you might be past that point, but if not, I'd strongly encourage you to look into one prior to the weekend and see what they can verify for you. It might help ease your mind about the new ride.

If you don't want to pursue the inspection service and lack the capabilities to have the codes read, suggest to your seller that you'd like to take the vehicle to a place that can read them for you prior to purchase. In addition to knowing what codes are shown, you should be able to determine when they were last cleared (an important piece of data if the seller is trying to mask a recurring issue).

Good luck on the purchase and remember to post pics!

jagtoes 01-09-2018 09:56 AM

There are various options here that you could pursue but since it is tuesday and you are picking up the car over the weekend you have a limited approach. 1st the PC is out due to the need to order various items. I would suggest you go to someplace like Autozone or Sears or NAPA or even Harbor Freight and pick up a inexpensive code reader. Anything from $50-$100 will do the trick. This will give you the ability to see if there are any remaining codes in the car. I would also ask the guy for the records of all of the services both dealer and independent that were done. Also find out where he had the services done and give them a call. For the dealer get the Vin number so they can check it out. Also it is important to see what the age of the battery is and when/if it was replaced. You can look at and get in discussions about smart battery chargers after you get the car home. Just focus on history and look for wear areas on/in the car. Good luck.

Ranchero50 01-09-2018 11:27 AM

I took a laptop and ELM 327 when I went for mine. Showed a bunch of codes which backed up the owners 'honesty' and what I noticed was wrong with it. I'm still waiting on my i930 LR2 scanner to show up. The ELM was pretty basic and not specific to the make / model like the LR2 is. It only talked to the engine ECU, not to any of the body components. The scanner won't tell you much more than a good visual inspection will. My advise is to function check everything you can.

Where's your vert at?

Sean W 01-09-2018 04:14 PM

I don't think you have time, as Jagtoes points out, but you should schedule and inspection at the Jag dealer he used. They should have the records of their work anyway. Also, get the service records from his indy mechanic. If the seller's with you, they should have all of it for you.

At a minimum, the Jag dealer can read all of the codes active and stored in history on the vehicle. They would charge you an hour labor I suspect. You want to do this at the dealership as any auto parts store will read the engine codes for you but you need Jag specific equipment to read the body, chassis codes etc. They are Jag specific as you know.

I think the other question you might want to put before yourself is what you would do with the information? I hope you've read enough on this forum to know the weak spots and their effects on pricing.

Ultimately, once you get your Jag, there a cheaper options than laptop based readers. As long as you aren't looking to program something you can order hand held Jag specific code readers.

Best of luck. I hope the sale goes well. Pictures please or it never happened.

‘Oleguy 01-09-2018 06:28 PM

I just found out that the basic readers are not a high cost at all. As a matter of fact I found out my son has one. It is basic but usable.

‘Oleguy 01-09-2018 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W (Post 1822432)
I don't think you have time, as Jagtoes points out, but you should schedule and inspection at the Jag dealer he used. They should have the records of their work anyway. Also, get the service records from his indy mechanic. If the seller's with you, they should have all of it for you.

At a minimum, the Jag dealer can read all of the codes active and stored in history on the vehicle. They would charge you an hour labor I suspect. You want to do this at the dealership as any auto parts store will read the engine codes for you but you need Jag specific equipment to read the body, chassis codes etc. They are Jag specific as you know.

I think the other question you might want to put before yourself is what you would do with the information? I hope you've read enough on this forum to know the weak spots and their effects on pricing.

Ultimately, once you get your Jag, there a cheaper options than laptop based readers. As long as you aren't looking to program something you can order hand held Jag specific code readers.

Best of luck. I hope the sale goes well. Pictures please or it never happened.

Sean,
The car is in southern MD. I think I’m going to try and line up his shop to put on lift as I really want to see underside. MD uses a lot of salt. Not that I think it spent a lot of time driving in foul weather but still want to inspect all running gear / chassis.

ralphwg 01-09-2018 07:51 PM

Good idea to check out the underside. While it is up on a lift also look for signs of any body work that might have been done on the vehicle. If you have the chance you might want to take the vert to a Jaguar approved body shop for an inspection they will be able to tell you what if anything has been done to the vert. Cost $250-$350 and well worth it. As a matter of fact it might be worth it if you have the chance to have a Jaguar dealer perform a per-certification inspection for another $250-$350. that will let you know what if anything needs to be done and what it would cost at a dealership. Good luck and don't forget - post pictures and welcome aboard.

Sean W 01-10-2018 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ‘Oleguy (Post 1822502)
Sean,
The car is in southern MD. I think I’m going to try and line up his shop to put on lift as I really want to see underside. MD uses a lot of salt. Not that I think it spent a lot of time driving in foul weather but still want to inspect all running gear / chassis.

Agreed. The car being it's age, I would look for cooling system flushes in the records (at least one).

Have them remove the engine bay under scuttle and look for leaks, both oil and coolant. Coolant running (dried or wet) along the Trans tunnel is a sign that the hose under the Super Charger. Check for the smell of coolant. It is distinct. I think these issues are all low probability given the mileage.

Car should have had the brake fluid flushed every two years. This should be in the records.

The A/C drain has a duck bill that gets clogged. Look for signs of water on the passenger floor.

The Dash Leather can pull away from the vents. The vents are very fragile. You will see air pockets on the dash as it starts to lift away. Same with the interior door cards.

The Vert guys can chime in on what to look for regarding the rag top.

The engine and transmission are well designed and well built.

Last are the suspension bits. Have them check the ball joints, tie rods, shocks, stabilizer bar, control arm bushes etc. Many of these bear the weight of the car so time has as much an effect on them as driving.

‘Oleguy 01-11-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ralphwg (Post 1822541)
Good idea to check out the underside. While it is up on a lift also look for signs of any body work that might have been done on the vehicle. If you have the chance you might want to take the vert to a Jaguar approved body shop for an inspection they will be able to tell you what if anything has been done to the vert. Cost $250-$350 and well worth it. As a matter of fact it might be worth it if you have the chance to have a Jaguar dealer perform a per-certification inspection for another $250-$350. that will let you know what if anything needs to be done and what it would cost at a dealership. Good luck and don't forget - post pictures and welcome aboard.

The problem is the car is 3+ hrs from my home. The Jag dealership is an hour and half from the sellers house and not towards my home. I am really hoping to get this on a lift to verify the unseen items are funtional and within wear tolerances for mileage/age. After reading through the forum here I have gotten a great deal of info of just what to check and look for on these vehicles.

Ranchero50 01-11-2018 09:05 AM

Just check where it's been parked. Google / Bing map search the address to if it stayed outside. Mine had so I knew where to look for drips. No drips, no leaks.

These cars are just like so many others. Drive it, feel / listen for oddball stuff. Romp on it at least once. Feel the tires for uneven wear. Look down the body sides etc. Smell for coolant leaks in the engine bay once it's warmed up.

Baltimore has a dealer. Never been there.

Is there a for sale link for the car? Might be something we notice that you haven't.

jagtoes 01-11-2018 09:07 AM

FYI here is the CPO checklist. Just gives you a idea on what they look for. Good luck
Certified Pre-Owned Jaguar 150-Point Check List | Pre-Owned Jaguar Near Boca Raton at Jaguar Palm Beach

‘Oleguy 01-11-2018 09:08 AM

I have vin number and I remember seeing someone was able to ‘run’ the number thru the Jag system for specific details on the car. Can someone really do this? It would answer a lot of my questions as the owner is or more or less a gas and go guy after speaking a bit in-depth for maint records. He said whatever it needed he did BUT he/you should know what is required to be done. As I stated he used the dealer for dealer items ie exhaust factory ‘cutout’ valve replacement. BTW I contacted dealer close to me for trans oil change...380 labor and close to 500 parts / oil ...yikes. AUTOZONE has pan filter for 70 bucks!

davchr 01-11-2018 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by ‘Oleguy (Post 1823343)
BTW I contacted dealer close to me for trans oil change...380 labor and close to 500 parts / oil ...yikes. AUTOZONE has pan filter for 70 bucks!

The ZF transmission fluid is expensive. Look on ebay and you can buy the correct ZF filter/pan + the fluid in a kit from several sellers. The independent shops will change it for ~$100 labor. There are quite a few cars that use that transmission so most larger shops should know what they are doing with it. No need to go to dealer for this.

Sean W 01-11-2018 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by davchr (Post 1823350)
The ZF transmission fluid is expensive. Look on ebay and you can buy the correct ZF filter/pan + the fluid in a kit from several sellers. The independent shops will change it for ~$100 labor. There are quite a few cars that use that transmission so most larger shops should know what they are doing with it. No need to go to dealer for this.

+1^^^^^ on Dave's comments.

Your owners manual will say the Transmission is "sealed for life" but ZF has since changed it's stance and recommends a change every 8 years or 80k miles depending on driving habits.
You can also buy your own parts on eBay. Pan/ filter, and the mechatronic sleeve which should be changed as well. The seal is one of the weak spots for oil leaks.

You can opt for a full flush and replace of fluid. Others on this forum have documented that Mercon SP meets the Jaguar standard of ZF fluid. That will be a significant savings. But only use if you do a full flush. Don't mix fluids.

‘Oleguy 01-11-2018 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W (Post 1823386)
+1^^^^^ on Dave's comments.

Your owners manual will say the Transmission is "sealed for life" but ZF has since changed it's stance and recommends a change every 8 years or 80k miles depending on driving habits.
You can also buy your own parts on eBay. Pan/ filter, and the mechatronic sleeve which should be changed as well. The seal is one of the weak spots for oil leaks.

You can opt for a full flush and replace of fluid. Others on this forum have documented that Mercon SP meets the Jaguar standard of ZF fluid. That will be a significant savings. But only use if you do a full flush. Don't mix fluids.

What is the mechotronic sleeve / seal ?

Sean W 01-11-2018 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ‘Oleguy (Post 1823439)
What is the mechotronic sleeve / seal ?

The sleeve encloses the mechanism that links the transmission to the TCM, controlling the valve body. The connector is on the side of the transmission and the sleeve, turns out but has a toking tab that can only be accessed with the pan off. They cost $20 so it pays to have them replaced while you have the pan off.

Ranchero50 01-11-2018 03:35 PM

This one?

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...422981671.html

Sean W 01-11-2018 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50 (Post 1823568)

If it is, something seems off. $19500 for an 08 Portfolio with a clean title? Appears to be a bit underpriced.

‘Oleguy 01-11-2018 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W (Post 1823656)
If it is, something seems off. $19500 for an 08 Portfolio with a clean title? Appears to be a bit underpriced.

Is it? If no fluid changes other than oil, needs tires, leaking shocks, Trans oil need changed , brake fluid, serpentine belt, brake pad rotors need work, will it pass Pa state inspection..not without work. 3k of maint lagging....if the MD salt or salt ocean air hasn’t started undercarriage or elsewhere corrosion either. So the car needs to be evaluated and a thorough inspection prior to any cash outlay for sure. So the price may or maynot be out of line either way pending. I’ll find out Sunday. They had gotten 18”+ of snow there with 3’+ drifts. Kids just went to school there today, since Christmas. Car needs dug out.