Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   LED turn signal conversion help.... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/led-turn-signal-conversion-help-217704/)

badicedog 05-13-2019 04:53 AM

LED turn signal conversion help....

Morning guys, I replaced all my headlight bulbs to LED (except headlights of course). I am loving the increased light output/visibility however, I am getting an error "lamp failure" msg on my display. I've tried 2 sets of LED bulbs of the "error free" variety without success. They don't hyperblink at all, seems they work as they should but I do get the error msg. Anyone have any success with this? What type of bulb did you use? Thanks

badicedog 05-15-2019 06:09 PM

Anybody changed out their turn signal bulb to LED? which brand did you use and did you get a lamp failure warning?

Cee Jay 05-15-2019 06:12 PM

Not me, man, but sucks nobody replies.
Maybe you're the first in here to do this?

badicedog 05-15-2019 06:25 PM

They blink correctly, no hyperblink but I get a bulb failure warning on my instrument cluster. More of a nuisance than anything else.

kj07xk 05-15-2019 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by badicedog (Post 2069789)
Morning guys, I replaced all my headlight bulbs to LED (except headlights of course). I am loving the increased light output/visibility however, I am getting an error "lamp failure" msg on my display. I've tried 2 sets of LED bulbs of the "error free" variety without success. They don't hyperblink at all, seems they work as they should but I do get the error msg. Anyone have any success with this? What type of bulb did you use? Thanks

My guess is you're either not getting enough current draw, or too much, so the system thinks there's an open or short circuit. The resistor value used in that 'error free' lamp is not right for our cars. Does the manufacturer provide any details on the resistance value? If so, maybe shop for a lamp that provides a higher or lower value (depending on construction of the unit, maybe it can be disassembled to change resistors?).

Cambo 05-15-2019 06:43 PM

The bulb monitoring system is extremely sensitive to the resistances of the circuits, to the point where the resistances used on one car would bring faults on another.

You will probably have to add a ballast resistor to each circuit, I had a heap of trouble finding an acceptable resistance when I did the LED rear light conversion on my car, in the end I had different resistances on the indicator circuits left and right.

Cee Jay 05-15-2019 06:46 PM

I'm sure it's got to do with amperage and such. Maybe you'll need to get some inline resistors made specifically to avoid your condition. Evidently the "Error Free" bulbs you have.... aren't.
You didn't perchance get them from Amazon? They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Course, third attempt may be just as miserable as the first two.

LED inline resistors @ Amazon

Stupid that you'd need them since you got the right lamps to avoid it.

TexasTraveler 05-16-2019 09:08 AM

I would recommend these blinker bulbs... No errors and still looks modern inside the headlight housing...

Cee Jay 05-16-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler (Post 2071491)
I would recommend these blinker bulbs... No errors and still looks modern inside the headlight housing...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought either these or something similar for the front amber bulb inside the headlight housing to get rid of the Egg Yolk look. They do improve the look and are nice and bright, but they are not LED.

kj07xk 05-16-2019 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2071206)
I'm sure it's got to do with amperage and such. Maybe you'll need to get some inline resistors made specifically to avoid your condition. Evidently the "Error Free" bulbs you have.... aren't.
You didn't perchance get them from Amazon? They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Course, third attempt may be just as miserable as the first two.

LED inline resistors @ Amazon

Stupid that you'd need them since you got the right lamps to avoid it.

Yup. Similar (although I don't recall the resistance value) to what I used for the rear LED flashers and backup lights in the 'George Kale' installation method.
Use them in parallel with the LED bulb (somewhere in the circuit, doesn't need to be right at the lamp location, just hot lead to ground).

Beau M 06-18-2019 10:02 PM

When I first ran my error codes with SDD it told me I had a front marker and both license plate light out. Sure enough, they were. BUT, I never had any other warnings on the dash or elsewhere.

I'm replacing one of my HID bulbs soon and wanted to convert to all LED while I'm in there. Maybe I can get lucky and not have the errors on the dash, I couldn't care less what the ECU thinks.