Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   License plate lights both failed (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/license-plate-lights-both-failed-212097/)

DENNIS LEE 12-25-2018 07:05 PM

License plate lights both failed

Dear friens
i have a 2011 xk and i got pulled over for not having the plates lights working. It came as a surprise to me for i never had any problems with such issues in any of my cars.
I unscrew the two light small panel and found out that the white plastic casing of the modular that the bulbs are inserted in look brown and black around the edges on both of them. Almost look like there was a short or something. I then check the bulbs and they were both fine.
Please advise me what should i do now for obviously the problem are not a simple light bulb change but coming from the lighting modular that the bulbs go into.

Thanks

dennis

Hailers 12-25-2018 10:07 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...er-xkr-193921/

Check for voltage at the light and read the above thread on license plate lights. My license plate light did not work and I read the thread above and worried.........but then went out to the car and turned the lights on and banged near the llicense plate light and it lit up. Lucky me.

Brutal 12-26-2018 01:23 PM

if the bulbs are good and you don't have power to the sockets. disconnect the battery cable and do a hard reset by holding the disconnected cables together. then hook back up, if they now work then you need a software update to address this at the dealer in the central junction box. under certain conditions with auto headlight on the voltage change actually shuts off this circuit. I found this issue years ago and after getting jaguar to recognize the issue they issued and software update to fix it. it will do it again without the update

DENNIS LEE 12-26-2018 06:22 PM

Just an update: I follow the battery reset method and it worked like a charm. They are functioning as normal now.
Thanks

Brutal 12-27-2018 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by dennis lee (Post 2005630)
just an update: I follow the battery reset method and it worked like a charm. They are functioning as normal now.
Thanks

then you verified you need the central junction box module software update unless you want to have to keep doing the battery reset :(

DENNIS LEE 12-31-2018 05:45 AM

I am sorry to seem dumb on this subject but how exactly do you upgrade the junction box software

Thanks again.

jagtoes 12-31-2018 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by DENNIS LEE (Post 2007416)
I am sorry to seem dumb on this subject but how exactly do you upgrade the junction box software

Thanks again.

Unless you have the Jaguar compatible diagnostic tool you would need to take it to a dealer to get it done.

95 Cat 01-10-2019 05:23 PM

On another post I mentioned that I have the same problem. Seeing that my car was recently purchased and under a warranty I let the Porsche dealer try to fix the problem. Obviously they did not want to buy a $1000 part and could not program it to the car if they did.
I have read the posts as how to fix the problem. Picked up the car today and the lights are working BUT they did NOT replace the module. Told me they did what the other post said to do to re flash the computer. I told them it may not last as this has been done by others. So I may find myself at a Jag dealer in the future.

Brutal 01-11-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 95 cat (Post 2011870)
on another post i mentioned that i have the same problem. Seeing that my car was recently purchased and under a warranty i let the porsche dealer try to fix the problem. Obviously they did not want to buy a $1000 part and could not program it to the car if they did.
I have read the posts as how to fix the problem. Picked up the car today and the lights are working but they did not replace the module. Told me they did what the other post said to do to re flash the computer. I told them it may not last as this has been done by others. So i may find myself at a jag dealer in the future.

you dont need to replace the module, but you do need to upload latest software into central junction box with sdd(laptop and diag tool operating program) from jaguar. A porsche dealer wont be able to do this to a jaguar anymore than i could do the same on a porsche. :)