XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Lomy chance to show off the XKR Speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Lost my chance to show off the XKR Speed

I was out with the top down on the XKR on Saturday. It was 78 degrees and sunny in Charlotte, NC. I was with Mrs. Kyle191 on a joy ride through the country roads. There is a cool road house/biker bar that I always wanted to stop in and have a drink.....so we did.

We were not the only people out enjoying the beautiful December day. There were at least 150 Harley Davidson motorcycles in the front of this place. Along with 150 Harleys there were at least 100 riders in open air beer garden in front of the saloon. Super cool and fun people.

As the sun started to get a little lower the bikers started leaving. Many with a huge roar and a cloud of dust as they took off out of the parking lot. Everyone would turn their head and "Oooooh and Ahhhh".

Being one of two cars there (the other was a Honda SUV) I felt I had to let the bikers know that they were not the only ones there with a bas a$$ ride.

So I put the top down, slowly backed up and turned into the optimal position for a huge and dramatic take off. I was in dynamic mode with the traction control turned off. I hammered the throttle and the car took off.

Just before it got stupid fast, really loud, and the back end was going to break loose for dramatic effect, the traction control appeared to kick in and turned the Jag into a kitten out of the parking lot.

Any ideas what happened there? I have only had the car for a few months and this was the first time I tried to really romp on it for dramatic effect. I was thinking that with the traction control "Off" I would be able to put down a little rubber if I chose.

Thanks for the help and don't worry....I'll be back at Biker Day with the XKR!!!!!

Last edited by kyle191; 12-28-2015 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo in heading
Old 12-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

You said it was a Harley bar with roughly 150 Harleys outside... my guess was being Harleys they leaked so much oil you simply had low traction until you were far enough away at which point your tires suddenly grabbed

Old 12-28-2015, 04:27 PM

Now that is funny stuff right there Leeper!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2015, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Did you have DSC off, or did you set it to TracDSC by mistake?

Also, I've occasionally had a situation somewhat similar to DSC without DSC actually operating when nailing the throttle at low speeds - i suspect it's the ECM or the TCM intervening for some reason, presumably to protect the engine or transmission. The effect is a sort-of 'kangaroo' on/off/on progression, different to the normal feel of DSC operation.

For full display effect, I find it's better to get the Beast rolling before really opening things up - it makes the most racket at higher RPM anyway.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
You said it was a Harley bar with roughly 150 Harleys outside... my guess was being Harleys they leaked so much oil you simply had low traction until you were far enough away at which point your tires suddenly grabbed
Nice, amazing you made it to your car without slipping. It takes almost ten seconds to turn off my traction control completely. Seems like an eternity when waiting to do some spirited driving.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:08 PM

Ngarara...that is exactly what happened. It kind on "kangarooed" dropping the RPM's down and really "hopping" back and forth between fast and slow. Once I let off the throttle completely and got on it once again, the car seemed to accelerate normally....which is really fast.

By that time tough the biker crowd was too far in the rear view mirror to fully appreciate the launch.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Yeah, I have a suspicion that it's possibly related to knock detection - I never experienced it using 100 RON fuel in Europe, but get it occasionally with 95 RON (standard) fuel. My perception is that DSC is much more of a cutoff; the ECM doesn't let the power back on fully so you don't get the on/off/on effect.

However, I have no actual evidence to back any of this up, other that my own occasional experiences.