Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Looks great, but Dead (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/looks-great-but-dead-211272/)

BlkC4t_XK14 12-01-2018 04:51 PM

Looks great, but Dead

Nice sunny day, took the my14xk out for a drive, headed to the JDCLI Holiday Party in Northport, NY. Gassed up, washed, ready, set, GO! 1 hour drive and almost there after leaving NYC. Headed North on Sunken Meadow Pkwy............Holy Bat s*&% Batman, the entire display is showing defaults, error codes, battery warning, low, not charging; everything was lighted and blinking. I pull into the parking lot, turned it off after waiting couple of minutes, would not restart. I had Sheba on a CTEK charger during the 2 1/2 weeks not driving, what happened. Flat bed tow to the dealer, we will find out on Monday.

Ranchero50 12-01-2018 04:59 PM

Sounds like alternator or some flavor of link fuse if I had to guess.

MarkyUK 12-01-2018 05:01 PM

Hopefully nothing more serious than a snapped alternator belt with no damage.

Do you have a warranty?

keep us posted and digits crossed

BlkC4t_XK14 12-01-2018 05:54 PM

yes, CPO, they are taking care of me, but still very disappointed. I have an Infinity M with 200k on the clock and no problems even close to this big in 13 years. Just not use to poor quality builds. Thought Jag had upped their game.

Brewtech 12-01-2018 05:56 PM

Alternator. Also, the engine uses a serpentine so if your belt goes, so does ur cooling. Doubt its the belt

BlkC4t_XK14 12-01-2018 06:04 PM

Yeah did not think it was a belt. Kept hearing a click with ignition button pressed. thinking solenoid on starter or alternator.

sov211 12-01-2018 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by BlkC4t_XK14 (Post 1995887)
yes, CPO, they are taking care of me, but still very disappointed. I have an Infinity M with 200k on the clock and no problems even close to this big in 13 years. Just not use to poor quality builds. Thought Jag had upped their game.

Do you know yet what the problem cause was? Your comment about "poor quality builds" is, I think, premature; it is not supported by the experience of other XK owners (including myself - my 2007 XK had zero problems -and is still in the family in daily use, still with no issues). Jaguar build quality has been very good -excellent, in fact, for the last 20 years or more (and here I speak from experience - I will spare you any details about the 15 year, daily use, never garaged X-Type driven by my wife with a sum total of 3 minor repairs in these 15 years: 02 sensor, water pump and nylon gear on one of the seat motors).
The symptoms mentioned in your case suggest a loss of voltage...loose battery clamp? Or a failure in one central module? Whatever they found or find, we need to know because this is very unusual (and I agree, very upsetting).
ok, I have just read about the clicking from the starter -that immediately suggests insufficient battery power -how old is the battery? (keeping a failing battery on the CTEK unit will not cure the failing battery but it may mask its symptoms for a while)...the other excellent possibility is an age-old one: poor connections at the battery clamps, which can give exactly these symptoms. Please let us know.

bocatrip 12-01-2018 06:22 PM

Just a thought.........might still be a defective battery even with the CTEK in use. I had my Jaguar attached to a CTEK with a 2 month old battery that ended up being dead one morning. Stone dead. I got the battery exchanged (no cost at Walmart) and started using a battery backup for the CTEK in case there were any outages. No problems since then. Good luck and let us know how you make out....PS...Have you always used the CTEK since your ownership or only the last few weeks?

BlkC4t_XK14 12-01-2018 06:32 PM

No offense on the poor build quality, just frustrated. But Jags had a terrible rep for electrical problems in the past. Still did not deter me from buying. I will keep you posted on what they find. Not certain how old the battery is I purchased used, so we will see. Will post and let everyone know what they find.

Zahmed1094 12-01-2018 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by BlkC4t_XK14 (Post 1995902)
No offense on the poor build quality, just frustrated. But Jags had a terrible rep for electrical problems in the past. Still did not deter me from buying. I will keep you posted on what they find. Not certain how old the battery is I purchased used, so we will see. Will post and let everyone know what they find.

I am concerned about the build quality, I am 70, have had lots of cars and all of them never had any issues till well after 50k miles. Now, I am in the market for a Jaguar, find one but the car fax (below) shows all sorts of electrical problems and 3 battery issues before the car has hit 40k miles. Dont know if I should buy it. Desperately trying to decide between the 2012 (with car fax below) and a 2007 XK with only 28k miles. I do want to get a Jaguar but if it means getting stranded and lots of reliability issues then..

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=CDM_U

Brewtech 12-01-2018 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zahmed1094 (Post 1995931)
I am concerned about the build quality, I am 70, have had lots of cars and all of them never had any issues till well after 50k miles. Now, I am in the market for a Jaguar, find one but the car fax (below) shows all sorts of electrical problems and 3 battery issues before the car has hit 40k miles. Dont know if I should buy it. Desperately trying to decide between the 2012 (with car fax below) and a 2007 XK with only 28k miles. I do want to get a Jaguar but if it means getting stranded and lots of reliability issues then..

stop worrying. Hang out in any forum and you will hear about a problem from one of the guys. Thats why they joined a forum. Youre doing the right thing, but a dead alternator or battery, is not build quality issue. 🙄
you either go for the hot chick or you dont.

jagtoes 12-01-2018 09:16 PM

What isn't stated in the carfax was whether there was any electrical system problems. Only that the electrical system was checked. Usually if a battery goes dead or if the battery is changed there is an electrical system CHECK. You should be concerned if the statement was electrical system checked and repaired and the reason for the repair. Also something to consider that usually the 1st of a MY car the more likely of new issues. So the 2009 XK series is better then the 2007 as the 2015 is better then the 2010. There are also several different issues that cause battery replacement on a premature basis. You don't know how this car was driven and how the battery was taken care of. It could have been an electrical issue or a self induced failure by the owner. Now it's a used car so it is what it is. My kids got an Audi A4 so I'm also on a few Audi sites. You should hear them discuss the oil consumption problem and especially those who just bought a used one and after a week or two find out they are burning a quart every 600-800 miles. My net to you is if you are hesitant in wanting to by an XK series because you think there are a lot of problems then reconsider you brand. Good luck in your decision.

Stuart S 12-01-2018 09:37 PM

Zahmed,

I've read all of your other worrisome posts. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...007-xk-211195/ You should stop worrying so much about Jaguar reliability. Enjoy the rest of your life and buy a new Prius with a warranty. It's cheaper than a psychiatrist.

Stuart

Ranchero50 12-02-2018 07:04 AM

That car sat after the corporate lease was up and these cars need to be driven or the batteries will die a quick death without a maintainer keeping them alive. Nothing to see there, buy it and drive it like you're a teenager again.

Patrick Wong 12-02-2018 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Brewtech (Post 1995936)
you either go for the hot chick or you dont.

He wants a hot chick who has a trust fund and cheerfully will cook meals in the kitchen and raise the kids, without voicing complaints or getting sick.

Brewtech 12-02-2018 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Wong (Post 1996040)
He wants a hot chick who has a trust fund and cheerfully will cook meals in the kitchen and raise the kids, without voicing complaints or getting sick.

LoL

MarkyUK 12-02-2018 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Wong (Post 1996040)

Brew, did you not read that OP is 70?

Whilst biologically possible, highly unlikely...get yourself back to the gym my friend and exercise those powers of observation! :D

Brewtech 12-02-2018 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK (Post 1996144)
Brew, did you not read that OP is 70?

Whilst biologically possible, highly unlikely...get yourself back to the gym my friend and exercise those powers of observation! :D

the hot chick is the car. Duh! Now apoligize to the 70yr old stud for assuming hes incapable of desire. And you thought you were being funny

Brewtech 12-02-2018 03:27 PM

I will responsibly steer this thread back to where it belongs. Alternator or battery issues?

NBCat 12-02-2018 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by BlkC4t_XK14 (Post 1995902)
...But Jags had a terrible rep for electrical problems in the past...

I have personally owned over twenty Jaguars starting with a 1963 Mk2, a Series 1 E-Type, several XJ6s, S-Types (X200s) and the X150. None had electrical issues other than a weak battery that needed to be replaced.

As I said in another thread, when I hear someone saying Jaguars are unreliable, I always enquire as to the year and model they owned. It's odd that the people making these statements have never owned a Jaguar, but they heard a story from a friend of a friend's cousin's sister. Ancient perceptions are difficult to lay to rest, even when no longer relevant, but are continuously fed by misinformation, or 'ham-fisted' mechanics that don't have a clue.