Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Low Fuel warning with full tank (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/low-fuel-warning-full-tank-217051/)

8bit 04-29-2019 09:20 AM

Low Fuel warning with full tank

Filled the car up yesterday morning and set off to a XK club breakfast meet yesterday morning. I'd done about 45 miles cruising the motorway at 70 and saw "LOW FUEL" warning on the dash, and the bar gauge showed totally empty. I pulled over and checked under the car and in the engine bay, no sign or smell of leaking fuel and the engine was still running fine. Switched off for a few moments and back on again and the gauge was back to normal and showing plausible values whenever I looked at it, given the miles I'd done.

I haven't checked for codes with SDD yet but just wondered if anyone else had had seen this and done any reading on this?

Cee Jay 04-29-2019 01:50 PM

Low battery gremlin?

110reef 04-29-2019 03:01 PM

That'd be my guess

8bit 04-29-2019 04:11 PM

Did cross my mind too but the car was attached to the C-Tek all night right up to setting off. Battery condition is good, as far as I'm aware.

Sean W 04-29-2019 04:31 PM

From the manualFuel Level Display

The fuel level display is a linear LCD display to show the usable fuel tank contents. The level display is active at all times when the ignition is on. Low fuel level is displayed as a LOW FUEL LEVEL message and an amber warning triangle in the message center.

The fuel level is obtained by fuel level sensors in the fuel tank. These are monitored by the auxiliary junction box software and their output resistance values, corresponding fuel quantity, are transmitted to the instrument cluster on the medium speed CAN bus. The instrument cluster uses the two level sensor signals to calculate the fuel tank contents. This calculation takes into account fuel movement in the tank to display a steady fuel quantity in the LCD.

The fuel level information is transmitted on the medium speed and high speed CAN bus for use by other vehicle system modules.

Not much to add. Failing sensor possibly but likely an anomaly. Kind of guessing without a code.

8bit 04-29-2019 04:34 PM

I did a basic scan with Torque Pro, nothing showing there. I'll get SDD out tomorrow but not expecting to find anything - I'd have thought any fuel related codes would be P codes (powertrain) and I'm pretty sure Torque Pro covers all of those.

8bit 08-06-2019 07:10 AM

So this happened again yesterday, funnily enough I was actually looking at the display when it changed from showing 160 miles remaining range and about 2/3 of a tank to zero remaining fuel and the LOW FUEL warning. I checked the car for codes using SDD last night and found two (although the mileage shown when they appeared was probably the mileage done when they came up first time a few months ago), they are as follows:

B1A75-1C - Fuel Sender 1 Circuit
B1A76-1C - Fuel Sender 2 Circuit

A bit of google searching reveals there is a Land Rover TSB which apparently applies to the 2014 Range Rover Supercharged (I guess this will be the 5.0 V8 S/C also) which describes this exact issue; sudden and incorrect warning of zero fuel.

Does anyone have access to any sort of repository of these TSBs and able to share the details/contents/suggestion as to possible fix? I'm hoping it's not "replace the senders" as they're in the tank, which means exhaust off, driveshaft off, subframe off etc...

WVChris 08-08-2019 08:04 AM

Nothing to add to the thread except a comment that the pics of your car are fantastic.

CC

neilr 08-08-2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by 8bit (Post 2109098)
A bit of google searching reveals there is a Land Rover TSB which apparently applies to the 2014 Range Rover Supercharged (I guess this will be the 5.0 V8 S/C also) which describes this exact issue; sudden and incorrect warning of zero fuel.

Is this the one?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...gyn_yPCKuzxaDk

8bit 08-08-2019 05:14 PM

Hmm not quite although that may be an earlier revision of the same issue. The one I found when searching for my codes was number SSM73143, although the codes listed there end in -11 and not -1C like mine do.

u102768 08-09-2019 05:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope this isn't your problem.

8bit 08-09-2019 06:55 AM

Thanks for that. Looks like the same repair procedure as in the Land Rover bulletin. When you say "hope this isn't your problem", is it just because of the time and effort to resolve it or some other reason, e.g. is it likely to get worse or cause other issues?

u102768 08-09-2019 04:07 PM

Just because of the amount of effort involved.

sov211 08-09-2019 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 8bit (Post 2062392)
Filled the car up yesterday morning and set off to a XK club breakfast meet yesterday morning. I'd done about 45 miles cruising the motorway at 70 and saw "LOW FUEL" warning on the dash, and the bar gauge showed totally empty. I pulled over and checked under the car and in the engine bay, no sign or smell of leaking fuel and the engine was still running fine. Switched off for a few moments and back on again and the gauge was back to normal and showing plausible values whenever I looked at it, given the miles I'd done.

I haven't checked for codes with SDD yet but just wondered if anyone else had had seen this and done any reading on this?

It is likely nothing of consequence. Say this because exactly the same thing happened to me in my X-Type about 12 years ago (!) after filling the tank. I got in the car, started the engine and looked at the gauge:it read empty, light on. Since I had just bought the car, this was a shock....I shut the engine off, restarted, tank reading full. This has never happened since, and the same car is in daily use (and is a delight - manual shift; the X-Type is the most unfairly maligned, most underrated car ever.).

8bit 08-14-2019 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by u102768 (Post 2110888)
Just because of the amount of effort involved.

So if it just means that every once in a while the fuel gauge will stop working until the car is switched off and on again then it's not worth the time and effort required to fix it. Saying that, given that the shutdown/startup restores it I'm slightly leaning towards some sort of software issue rather than an actual, physical fault.