Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Major coolant leak! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/major-coolant-leak-155672/)

amcdonal86 01-05-2016 04:28 PM

Major coolant leak!

Well it looks like the big one has finally happened!! It was fairly cold this morning (~15ºF) and now I have a major coolant leak that has resulted in an empty coolant reservoir. There are specs of coolant all over the top and rear of the engine.

I am pretty pissed about this, because there was no warning light on the dash in the entire 30 minute drive! Who would design a car without a temp gauge that also has no warning about low coolant!

flyc2c 01-05-2016 04:38 PM

Damn. This is why I added the CAMP2. I hated not having a coolant temp gauge. Got any pics? Sounds like it could be a heater hose.

amcdonal86 01-05-2016 04:42 PM

I will try to get a pic, but I am about to have the car towed.

TFlan 01-05-2016 04:56 PM

Had the same issue a while ago. Lower nipple on the plastic coolant reservoir tank was cracked. Replacement tank, new fluid and pressure check cost around $225. at the indie that I use.

Good luck.

Best,

amcdonal86 01-05-2016 05:08 PM

I, too, am taking it to an indie shop. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the coolant reservoir being cracked, seems like a common thing on these cars.

amcdonal86 01-05-2016 05:11 PM

I wonder if you guys can see these photos, but here goes:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-O.../upload_-1.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...fd50c13578.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...1fd0f854e1.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...0e4899f5b9.jpg

amcdonal86 01-06-2016 08:42 AM

The shop says the leak is coming out from underneath the supercharger, so they will need to remove it. Based on their experience with other JLR engines, there is some sort of hose assembly that can develop a pinhole leak and would need to be replaced. Total bill will be north of $1500!!!

Ngarara 01-06-2016 04:16 PM

Damn - sorry to hear it. Keep us posted.

amcdonal86 01-06-2016 05:40 PM

Good news! The total, I'm told is closer to $1100. Should be done by the weekend--parts will take a while to get. He says there's two hoses accessible under there that would be a good idea to replace now (well, one is busted!).

Tervuren 01-06-2016 05:53 PM

There should be a check in the coolant tank that puts on an amber warning light if the coolant drops below it.

WhiteXKR 01-06-2016 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tervuren (Post 1377029)
There should be a check in the coolant tank that puts on an amber warning light if the coolant drops below it.

Agreed, they should find out why you did not get a low coolant warning and change the sensor and/or tank if necessary to rectify the problem.

ralphwg 01-06-2016 06:48 PM

+1

amcdonal86 01-06-2016 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tervuren (Post 1377029)

Do you have a part number for the sensor? I suppose it's possible that the coolant all leaked out when I shut off the engine (I noticed quite a bit of coolant on the driveway this morning where the car last was before it got towed).

amcdonal86 01-06-2016 09:50 PM

Is there even a coolant level sensor?

COOLING SYSTEM for 2007 Jaguar XKR

I don't see anything that looks like a sensor in this parts list!

WhiteXKR 01-06-2016 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86 (Post 1377166)
Is there even a coolant level sensor?

COOLING SYSTEM for 2007 Jaguar XKR

I don't see anything that looks like a sensor in this parts list!

OMG...I think you are right. I see no reference in the owners manual to a fault message and no sensor in the electrical diagrams. That is really unbelievable. Other Jags from this time period had one.

Tervuren 01-06-2016 11:09 PM

My 2009 kicked a light on when the coolant tank was low.

Ngarara 01-07-2016 06:06 AM

I can't see one either - I think the only coolant sensor is for temperature. Presumably low coolant results in a change to that sensor's readings.

amcdonal86 01-07-2016 07:51 AM

Interestingly, the '09 model parts list looks the same. So maybe it's measuring coolant somewhere other than on the coolant reservoir tank??

COOLING SYSTEM for 2009 Jaguar XKR

jagtoes 01-07-2016 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 1377194)
OMG...I think you are right. I see no reference in the owners manual to a fault message and no sensor in the electrical diagrams. That is really unbelievable. Other Jags from this time period had one.

If you look at the water outlet fig 9 isn't there a sensor in there. Would this be the temp sender for the ECU which could also act as overtemp. warning. Where does the OBDII get it's water temp from.

amcdonal86 01-07-2016 09:41 AM

jagtoes, looks like you could be right, but it also sounds like the system just infers that the system is low on coolant if it gets abnormal readings from that water temp sensor. So perhaps by the time you get a "low coolant" warning, you're already overheating?

WhiteXKR 01-07-2016 02:16 PM

I have done some further investigation.

It appears on my 2007 XK that there is a hole at the bottom of the tank for a sensor...but no sensor is installed.

Searching through the electrical diagrams, it appears they phased the coolant level sensor in starting in 2009 model year. The sensor drives an input into the instrument cluster, which is non-existent on 2006-2008 models.

My guess is that it was either a bad early decision that was reversed, or a rush to market with an known design mistake or parts shortage in order to hit the market window.

It appears the tank is the same throughout the model years. It might not be too difficult to retrofit since the sensor probably already fits the tank. It is definitely something worth looking into.

Ngarara 01-07-2016 03:49 PM

Hmmm - I can't see any coolant level sensors in the electrical diagrams for the 4.2 cars right up to B32752, just a temperature sensor. Maybe you have better diagrams than I do.

The instrument cluster module for the 5.0 has an input called "COOLANT_LEVEL_SW" - but it's been re-purposed for the brake-fluid level sensor.

WhiteXKR 01-07-2016 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara (Post 1377607)
Hmmm - I can't see any coolant level sensors in the electrical diagrams for the 4.2 cars right up to B32752, just a temperature sensor. Maybe you have better diagrams than I do.

The instrument cluster module for the 5.0 has an input called "COOLANT_LEVEL_SW" - but it's been re-purposed for the brake-fluid level sensor.

I think the 5.0 electrical diagram has a typo. There is already a brake fluid sensor on the left side of the instrument cluster page. I think the "COOLANT_LEVEL_SW" is really connected to the coolant level sensor.

Also, the 5.0 service manual has a picture of the coolant tank with the sensor and a description of it.

I would have thought it was a 5.0 phase in, except for member Tervuren saying he had a light on his 2009, which in the US would be a 4.2. Perhaps they started phasing it in just before the 5.0 release.

Ngarara 01-07-2016 04:11 PM

Well caught! - yep, looks like a typo.

amcdonal86 01-07-2016 04:18 PM

Do you think retrofitting a sensor would really be that simple?? Plug and play? Or would I need to somehow unlock the programming.

Ngarara 01-07-2016 04:36 PM

I can't see where you'd plug in the sensor on a 4.2 - there isn't an input for it on any of the electrical diagrams. The instrument cluster connector pin IP032/14 that is used on the 5.0 cars appears to be unused on the 4.2, but even if you were to get the signal to that pin, there's probably no circuitry inside that connects to it.

WhiteXKR 01-07-2016 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86 (Post 1377631)
Do you think retrofitting a sensor would really be that simple?? Plug and play? Or would I need to somehow unlock the programming.

Plug and play on the tank side...maybe. If the tank does not have a magnetic float, it would need to be upgraded. On the instrument cluster side further investigation is also needed. Just thoughts at the moment....but that is how every upgrade starts.

amcdonal86 01-08-2016 02:20 PM

OK, I think I am going to get my car back tomorrow morning. Total for the repair was $1067. Compared to what some others were paying in some other threads I found on the S-Type forum (4.2 SC), I got off pretty easy! My mechanic rocks!!

kj07xk 01-08-2016 05:03 PM

It's interesting that the service manual (VIN B00379 to B32752 for the 4.2L cars) in the Specifications section, for the Expansion tank it says 'Remote - fitted with a bleed screw and a low coolant level sensor'. But says nothing about the sensor in the remove/install section.
Wonder if a 'washer fluid level switch' would fit in there, and then move the electrical connector from the washer reservoir to the coolant expansion tank?
Or maybe it could be monitored separately with an input into the optional I/F unit for the HKS Camp2?

amcdonal86 02-20-2016 03:34 PM

After about a month and a half and perhaps 1000 miles of driving, I am smelling coolant from under the hood (it was much stronger after I got the coolant hoses changed, but has gotten less and less over time). Is this cause for concern? I did top off the coolant a couple times (maybe with a few ounces of distilled water) but I'm not sure if this is due to a coolant loss or maybe it just wasn't bled properly? Or maybe wasn't topped off to begin with?

I am going to keep an eye on it for the next several weeks. I used my OBD II bluetooth scanner and after a long drive, the coolant was hovering right at around 91-93ºC. What do you guys think? Normal?

mhminnich 02-20-2016 04:24 PM

[QUOTE=amcdonal86;1406970]After about a month and a half and perhaps 1000 miles of driving, I am smelling coolant from under the hood (it was much stronger after I got the coolant hoses changed, but has gotten less and less over time). Is this cause for concern? [\quote]

Yes! You shouldn't still be smelling any residual spillage this far out.

Small leaks are a pita to uncover, but you'll want too have that looked at.

amcdonal86 02-20-2016 05:03 PM

Would the shop be able to do a pressure test to verify no coolant leaks?

It seems like our weather has been cool (engine bay may not warm up) and most of my driving is fairly short in duration (under 20 minutes), so I wonder if this could extend the amount of time it takes for the coolant smell to go away.

Stuart S 02-20-2016 09:44 PM

Maybe You'll Get Lucky!

When you topped off the coolant, if it was inadvertently overfilled, you may be smelling excess coolant that was expelled from the overflow tank after your car got up to operating temperature and that coolant expanded. I'd drive the car for several days and keep an eye on the temperature - I use an ELM327/Torque app/Bluetooth to Android phone. If you don't smell coolant after 2-3days and your car doesn't overheat, I suspect it was overfilled.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

amcdonal86 02-20-2016 10:34 PM

Maybe I am overfilling it. Today I topped it off to in between the lower and upper plastic bits inside the coolant reservoir when the engine was cool.

jagtoes 02-21-2016 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by amcdonal86 (Post 1407232)
Maybe I am overfilling it. Today I topped it off to in between the lower and upper plastic bits inside the coolant reservoir when the engine was cool.

Go to an auto parts store and see if you can use or rent a cooling pressure test kit. It is simple to do and will either give you piece of mind or what to do next. I borrowed a friend of mine's kit .

WhiteXKR 09-09-2016 07:08 PM

Changed my coolant tank today. Replacement tank has a sensor, but the XK has no harness to plug it into!

amcdonal86 09-13-2016 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 1407380)
Go to an auto parts store and see if you can use or rent a cooling pressure test kit. It is simple to do and will either give you piece of mind or what to do next. I borrowed a friend of mine's kit .

Just to follow up here, it turns out the previous shop had crossthreaded the drain plug. It started leaking more substantially (I noticed small puddles under the driver's side).

A new (better) shop has threaded a new plug on there and now it's good to go!