XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A Metaphorical Question: Are Jag Owners Shallow People?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts
Default A Little Self-Examination: Are We Jag Owners Shallow People?

In the year or so I've owned my Jag, I've come to realize my ownership experience with it has been a bit different from what I've had with other cars. I got my other car, a 2015 Panamera, within a month of getting the XK, but I hardly ever think about it and almost never go on the Porsche forum which I joined about the same time as this one. Both cars had about 10k on the clock when I got them, and I've put roughly the same amount (~11k) on both. In that time, I have to admit I've had three warranty claims (water pump, evaporator pump, TPMS module) for the Jag compared to zero for the Porsche. The Jag is also the only car I've had to buy a CTEK-type device for. Yet the XK is the car I keep meticulously clean and look forward to seeing and driving everyday. Also, in stark contrast with the Panamera forum (which seems to have few regulars but a whole lot of one-and-done posters), I keep up with this forum almost daily (whether or not I'm having any issues), and I get the sense most others on here do the same.

All of which begs the question: why am I (and most of you) so obsessed with the Jag? It's not the handling (both Porsches I've had definitely handle better and have much better steering feel). It's not even the power or exhaust note (could probably get the same from a Mustang). So it's gotta just come down to looks, right?

Is the XK the automotive equivalent of the hot but high-maintenance girlfriend/wife? [I know there are a handful of female members on here, but I trust they can flip the metaphor as necessary] Is the XK the sometimes batshit crazy (think low battery) girl whose quirks and shortcomings we downplay and defend just because she's so good-looking? If so, doesn't that make us all kind of shallow?

Last edited by Simon Tan; 03-21-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:58 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Heading in and out of this thread like ...

The following users liked this post:
110reef (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts
Default I'm with you LoudHogRider

Not touching this question

110reef (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Why did I buy my Jag?

1. I wanted a convertible.
2. I wanted rear seats.
3. After 1 and 2 above, I did not want a Camaro, Mustang or Charger/Challenger, which are a dime a dozen.
4. I am tired of the maintenance and expense I have had with my German cars, ruling out BMW's or Mercedes. And Audis, though I have never owned one.
5. So, after eliminating the above, it doesn't leave many cars in my price range. I stumbled upon older XK's on the internet and fell in love. I had never seen nor heard of one before. In fact, I had never seen one in person until the day I bought mine. (On the other hand I have seen plenty of Panameras and Porsches of all types) Got one in immaculate shape with low miles, and I couldn't be happier.

Not sure that makes me shallow. Maybe I just know what I want. I know buying this car for $25K is better than spending $60K on a pickup truck like the vast majority of people here (in Louisiana) do.

So I am gonna go with smart. Not shallow.

Last edited by 110reef; 03-21-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Simon Tan (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,155 Likes on 3,088 Posts

+1 on smart.
Many years ago I wanted another convertible to go with the 95 Mustang GT I already had. I didn't even THINK of "Jaguar". I searched autotrader dot com for ONLY convertibles. Well, the dealer right down the road from me (where I drove past ALL THE TIME) had an absolutely GORGEOUS silver XK8 for sale (in the winter... SCORE on price!) Well, I figured 'what the heck' and went and to look at the thing. At first sight, "Holy Crap that is NICE!".
I took it for a spin....... the tires were an old set that had been thrown on, cracked and WAY out of round. The poor car shook the whole ride. REGARDLESS, that thing made me smile the entire 30 minute test drive.
I got back to the dealer and made a cash, winter-convertible low-ball offer, and WHAM, I owned an XK8. It just happened that my buddy owns an indie shop just down the road also, and HE'S the one that did the Safety and Emissions test on it for the sale.
I drove away from that dealer with the stupidest grin imaginable, went straight down to Jim's shop and pulled in. "Holy *****" was his reaction, "I just did that inspection, and it's near PERFECT!"
I was totally hooked. It didn't matter that I was a bit too tall and had to look out the top of the windshield to drive it. It made me happy. I got Steve's remote top and was even happier. When I parked it in lots I'd hear people say stuff like "Man, I wish I could afford a nice car like that" and a bunch of other comments. They had NO idea that the Toyota they climbed into cost fairly close to what I had just paid.
More smiles.
ANYWAY, the only thing wrong with that car is it was slllooowwww........
After a couple years, I figured 'what the heck' and looked for a new(er) one. By chance I saw the Unaired-in-the-US Top Gear where Jeremy compared the XKR to a Vantage. MUCH WANT!
Caveat, it was now 2013 and FIVE LITER!
Yeah, much MORE want.
I searched around and found an off-lease CPO 2010 in Texas, right next to where my brother lives. I did notice that the car had been for sale for many, many months, so again with an 'almost winter-convertible low-ball offer', I was the owner of an XKR.
My brother drove it from Texas for me. He was SO happy!
ANYWAY and to FINALLY get to the point................
My XK8 and then the XKR did what other cars never did.... make me Grin like an Idiot.
Now, I have a Pro Street Mustang with almost 900 HP and set up to launch HARD, and THAT thing can make me nervous. My XKR has never scared me, but it's still fast enough for the road. It gets my adrenaline going, but not SCARY adrenaline like that Mustang causes.
I drove a new Mustang GT last year, and bleah, just a car.
I drove a new Corvette Sting Ray last week, and bleah, disappointing.
I hopped back into my own XKR, and GRIN-CITY.
Am I shallow? Naw, I don't think so. I just like to feel GOOD about what I drive.

Dang, I certainly didn't think I'd write a book. Sorry I got carried away.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
kj07xk (03-21-2018), Simon Tan (03-21-2018), Stuart S (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:54 PM

Seems to me were still talking subjective intangibles, so "smart" isn't exactly the right word. To me, "smart" is analogous to "practical" or "rational", so smart is something like a Camry or perhaps even a 911, which comes in a convertible, has rear seats, holds its value better, and is probably objectively superior in almost every quantifiable, car magazine comparison kind of way. Yet pretty much all of us deliberately dismissed those options in favor of the XK, and I submit it all irrationally comes down to looks and perhaps exclusivity. So maybe we can add "vain" on top of shallow

Old 03-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

How a car looks is number 1 or close to for me...

The following 2 users liked this post by mosesbotbol:
BruceTheQuail (03-21-2018), Simon Tan (03-21-2018)

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2018, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Maybe I do not understand "shallow".

I have always thought a shallow person is one that goes along with things for as long as they run to their own advantage, but the moment there is an issue they will bail on you; you can't rely on them at all.

So if someone has a Jaguar and they stick with it despite problems, then I would say that person is thick, not shallow.

Simon Tan (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
For the XK, my love is the caramel and wood interior. When I walk up to the car to drive it I am looking through the window at the interior within.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tervuren:
Simon Tan (03-21-2018), winstonsalemncxk (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tervuren
Maybe I do not understand "shallow".

I have always thought a shallow person is one that goes along with things for as long as they run to their own advantage, but the moment there is an issue they will bail on you; you can't rely on them at all.

So if someone has a Jaguar and they stick with it despite problems, then I would say that person is thick, not shallow.
I meant shallow more in terms of "superficial" and putting looks above all else, as Moses has admitted to

But on a related note to your comment about sticking with a Jag despite its quirks, is that part of the appeal? Is there an emotional bond that comes from being aware of various quirks and things to be on top of? If the XK didn't have any issues leading to threads like "If the XK were being redesigned today...", would we obsess over it as much, or would it just be another car?

Old 03-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
+1, absolutely!

My #1 car choice would be a 1970 Plymouth Superbird. That car is nothing but looks.
Its old, probably uncomfortable, probably unreliable, probably drives like crap, and way out of my price range for anything in good shape.
Call me shallow, call me vain, I don't care, I'd love to have one sitting in my driveway (probably too long to fit in my garage!).

I've had a soft spot for Jags since I was a kid and saw an XKE. My X150 is probably the closest I'll get to owning one. I was sold on looks alone.

Last edited by kj07xk; 03-21-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

For me, in the UK, my attachment to Jags in the late 80s started as a value-for-money judgement. I wanted a luxury performance coupe, and could get more Jag for my money than I could with a BMW or Merc (Audi wasn't in that market at the time). So I ended up with an XJ-S V12.

Each time I came to replace my car, the same equation applied. Most recently, it was XKR vs. Nissan GT-R vs. Aston DB9. The XKR was more usable for 'normal' driving than the GT-R and newer & cheaper to maintain than an equivalent-cost Aston.

So, while it's obviously not only about practicality and cost, those are important distinguishing elements between cars that I'd put on a wish list. There are a lot of fast, sporting, good-looking cars out there at the price point that I can afford, but if they're uncomfortable, noisy, unreliable or expensive to maintain, they're not what I want.

The cost issue is likely to be different in other places, but here, an XKR is good value for a 500+ HP car that is comfortable and looks great.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
RobB (03-23-2018), Simon Tan (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
Seems to me were still talking subjective intangibles, so "smart" isn't exactly the right word. To me, "smart" is analogous to "practical" or "rational", so smart is something like a Camry or perhaps even a 911, which comes in a convertible, has rear seats, holds its value better, and is probably objectively superior in almost every quantifiable, car magazine comparison kind of way. Yet pretty much all of us deliberately dismissed those options in favor of the XK, and I submit it all irrationally comes down to looks and perhaps exclusivity. So maybe we can add "vain" on top of shallow
I don't think I mentioned looks.

I got it because it was a convertible in my price range with back seats, and you didn't see one everywhere (or anywhere). So exclusivity was something I liked, but it is a two edged sword in that it is more difficult to get parts and fix.

Smart is buying a high performing, beautiful, comfortable luxury car that originally cost $87,000, in like-new condition for less than a Camry or an Accord or a pickup truck. It out-performs any car I have ever owned previously. Maybe it can be out performed by other cars in a car magazine kinda way, but who really cares? How much is enough performance? The XKR will out perform my XK. The 5.0 liter will out perform the 4.2. A formula 1 racer will outperform them all. The XK is plenty enough for me.

I could not have gotten a Porsche in similar condition and mileage for that price either.

Call me vain, shallow or whatever you want, but to me I discovered a car with tremendous value for the cost, and looks good to boot. Plus I have had no mechanical issues with the car except the occasional screen staying in the jag logo mode. I think I made a great buy on all fronts.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

+1 on looks and performance, and of course this as well,

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
envincibal (03-22-2018), Simon Tan (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:39 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking

My '09 XK Coupe is about as practical, as a goat in the house, or a sailboat without an engine. If you want a nice reliable grocery getter, get a Nissan or a Ford 4 door suv, or a sedan. When I first saw my Jag, it was love at first sight. I've owned it since November '17, put 1,500. miles on it, and it's a blast. It's a head turner, and a chick magnet, even at my age. At a price of just under $22,000. it's well worth it. OK so the navigation system is out of date, the AM radio don't work, and I have no interest in satellite radio. Who needs an audio system, when the engine growl is all the music I need. It's been around a bit, and is not really a show & shine car, but I don't care. I've worked as an auto mechanic and know how to tear down an engine if needs be. The thing I don't like is the less than 4 inches of ground clearance, bottoming out when I've hit a pot hole, or leaving a driveway when there is a dip in the road, can be a bit scary. It also will not fit in an automatic car wash, so it will be a bit unwashed, until the NY weather warms up a bit and I can hand wash it.
Nothing more to add.... I'M IN LOVE AGAIN!!!

Old 03-21-2018, 02:42 PM

Mine fits in a car wash

Old 03-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
I meant shallow more in terms of "superficial" and putting looks above all else, as Moses has admitted to

But on a related note to your comment about sticking with a Jag despite its quirks, is that part of the appeal? Is there an emotional bond that comes from being aware of various quirks and things to be on top of? If the XK didn't have any issues leading to threads like "If the XK were being redesigned today...", would we obsess over it as much, or would it just be another car?
I did find when I was thinking of buying a sports car from Chevrolet last year that it would be my first "common" car. I would not have formerly recognized/admitted it but faced with decision making I did find a car being a special brand did matter to me.

But the chevvy was such a fun car I bought it anyway.

When I went to see the XK I bought, I did not find from pictures it to be an attractive car, I was pleasantly surprised. The front and front quarter view still has something awkward about the design that keeps me looking at the car trying to figure out what I need to change. The tail view is great.

My priority when buying the XK was to lower stress, I wanted a car that didn't need to be worked on. Just filters, a tail light, tires, and fluids is all I've ever had to do.

The seats fit me far better than my 944, much better fitting interior. I'd been in my back pain for years without knowing the reason that my car seats didn't fit me. Driving a new Porsche 911 was a revelation that sent me shopping for a GT instead of a small sportscar.

Mission accomplished.

But I do find other people find my car more visually appealing than I do myself.

Last edited by Tervuren; 03-21-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:44 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

There is definitely an emotional attachment to the car, brought about by an X-Factor that I cannot quantify. What I do know is that I get a warm feeling of utter contentment when I climb into the XKR, drop the top, and just listen to that engine run. Does it draw the attention of passers-by? Yes, but that does not motivate me to drive about. Is it an exclusive car? Again, yes, but that was never the motivator to buy it. Does it just make me happy to look at this rolling work of art and know that it is my name on the title? Oh, yes.

. . . I had the same feeling when I bought my XJL, as well. Can't explain it, but I certainly enjoy it.

Simon Tan (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

I think superficial might have been a better word choice than shallow. Although similar in meaning, they are not always going to equate.

A superficial person is going to look at the appearance of the car and judge it that way, a shallow person will judge it by the first thing they feel wrongs them.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
+1 on looks and performance, and of course this as well,

Somehow I don’t think that add would get past the PC brigade today, sadly.

Quick Reply: A Metaphorical Question: Are Jag Owners Shallow People?