XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 03:26 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Once again CeeJay your anecdotal experience is trumped by the VAST majority of excellent reviews from such sites as Tire Rack, FerrariChat, BMW sites, Porsche sites, Corvette forums as well as many here who have had outstanding praise for Michelin's including the MPSS (including myself). I had them on my Porsche a few years ago. We get it, you may have had a bad experience but constantly tying to interject your single experience onto every mention of those tires falls more than flat (pun somewhat intended). You do realize that Ferrari has them as their OEM tires as does a number of other sportscars mfg's right? It's the clear tire choice of Corvette's, Porsche's here in the states, most every Ferrari, clearly you have some sort of superior knowledge you could share with all of them to change their obviously defective thinking

Here - http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458...est-tires.html

You made a bold claim above here about their testing being bogus even providing examples of how they are supposedly getting away with deceit, certainly you have some sort of proof of your claim? Would you please provide that for us?

Again for the record I do not and have not had MPSS's on my Jag as my Dunlop's have been very impressive but if I were to change them I think it would come down to price between the Dunlop's (20" SportMaxx) or the new MPSS's. I've driven my tires through a terrible snow storm where trucks were sliding off the road and drive it here in S. cal with temps over 100 degrees so not exactly "controlled" conditions

Last edited by Leeper; 04-11-2017 at 03:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jahummer (04-13-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
Once again CeeJay your anecdotal experience is trumped by the VAST majority of excellent reviews from such sites as Tire Rack, FerrariChat, BMW sites, Porsche sites, Corvette forums as well as many here who have had outstanding praise for Michelin's including the MPSS (including myself)..................................
Yes, because many negative reviews are REMOVED. I posted (TRIED to post) honest reviews of my personal experiences with their tires on several sites, including some you mentioned. EVERY ONE of them was denied as "Not meeting our needs at this time".
Can anyone say "FRAUD"??? I KNOW someone gets paid from SOMEONE to do this. There is no other reason to remove honest reviews. Junk tires, Junk company. You CAN'T convince me otherwise as I had them.
Methinks many pander to the marketing of inferior products.
Go ask Queen and Country (is he still around?). He berated me as an imbecile for weeks until he Apologized when HIS MPSShits started throwing off chunks.
Leeper, I have all due respect for you, but do NOT speak to me about tires that you admit you do not/have not had. Buy some, drive them for a few thousand miles (I sincerely hope they will not kill you) and then tell me all about them.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 04-11-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by ArnoldKay
No disrespect to anyone, but the facts simply show that no tire beat the Super Sport in grip and performance under controlled testing. I understand we all have opinions, but this is one of those instances where it's possible to have the wrong one. They have been benchmarked in dozens and dozens of tests and have won all of them. We aren't talking automotive preference here. It's effectively scientific proof.
No disrespect taken Arnold. As I wrote on my first post, there are as many opinions as there are tires to driver combinations. Cee Jay clearly had very bad experience with his Pilots, while others swear by them.

Someone noted they didn't care for Bridgestone Poles, which I have and love. Even professionals disagree on this matter. Take it all with a grain of salt and consider the road surface material as well. What is quiet and grips well here where I live, may suck down in Florida or Ireland. Then there's the driver. How does the driver behave on the road, handling curves.

What vehicles are the tires tested on? How do those rides compare to our XK's? What was the test track like? Was type of asphalt was on the track? What was the temperature, relative humidity?

Unless I read in Road and Track that they tested Pilots (or any tire) on an 07 XK on I35W and drove exactly like Sean W does, their opinion doesn't mean much.

Too many variables.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Cee Jay (04-11-2017), pk4144 (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Banned

Once again CeeJay simply responding with more "enthusiasm" doesn't make your case any more valid. If, as you state, those tires as a whole, are claim the to be, and there is such a wide-spread conspiracy, why are they the choice of the forementioned forums who clearly prefer them? Again please provide any sort of proof to your grandiose claims to back what you state? I acknowledge that you may well have had a bad experience, and I also believe that Q&C may have had as well but that does not trump the many others here who have had a very difference experience including myself.. .again it was not on my Jag but other car.

Whether you have respect for me or not that has little to nothing to do with the fact that you always jump in when tires and mentioned making bold claims that simply do not mirror those of Vette, Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, Nissan Z, virtually every performance car forum out there who match the reviews on Tire Rack and car and Driver that state MPSS are the highest rated performance tire... and please don't try to state that those forums are also shills who are paid off.

Again for your info - I did drive them for many more than a thousand miles and stand here to attest to their outstanding wear, traction, overall satisfaction as MANY here in this forum have also stated.

So please, once again, provide that proof versus responding in all caps or other venue delivering more emotion absent of facts other than your one isolated incident or Q&C's bad experience.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,156 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Prove they ARE good, without referencing someone Else's claim. You can't.
I know what I know, and it is accurate.
We can be done with this now.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

I have bought more than 10 sets of Michelin tires ranging from All Season to max performance summer tires and travelled more than 250,000 miles on them. Never had any issues, not even a puncture. So have hundreds of millions of other people. If they all blew up, fell apart or what ever, they would have been out of business decades ago.
There really is little point in constantly grinding this axe. Take any problem up with Michelin Corporate. They can fix the problem. I doubt anyone on the forum can do anything for you.

Sean W (04-13-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Banned

CeeJay let's not be childish here by running away trying avoid having to actually give any sort of credence to your claim. You made the claim no one else did so clearly you have some inside knowledge you'd like to share to give that some credence??? Nice try but that trick didn't work on me in elementary school nor does it now. You have made bold claims that the reviews on most every site, for which I have provided names and even web addresses and you only got more emotional in your retort failing in any way whatsoever to provide ANY backing. again I'll simply ask you to provide ANYTHING that lends anyone to believe your claims that the reviews on Tirerack, Covette forums, Porsche forums, Ferrari forums, Audi forums are in fact bogus as you have repeatedly said. Those claims are from you please show us where the negative claims on those sites have either been planted or where they have removed them? That comes from you and now you run and hide when questioned.

For others who actually look for actual users reviews versus a one-off emotional retort here you go:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-sports.html

Already provided the Ferrari chat link previously

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...tires-2868024/

Seems like your issue was clearly blown WAY out of proportion as the great percentage of users have had great results and would gladly purchase them again. The last time you and I went around on this you claimed I was somehow affiliated with Michelin, which was nothing but a silly emotional response baseless of course as I have said I have and love my Dunlop's. So please - if you make heavily charged posts be able to back them at least a little. Did Michelin blow it more than once, highly likely, but that doesn't factor in the various user sites like I've proven which praise them well over the other options and cost of those are FAR higher performance and FAR more expensive cars that we have here.

Also, clearly your reading comprehension needs some help as I have repeatedly also stated that I have had nothing but positive results on Michelin Pilot super sport tires but ti seems in your tantrum and rush to be heard once again you've opted to not acknowledge that though I've repeated it several times in this and previous threads. I'd gladly be the first to buy them for my Jag or any future car as would that great majority of users as seen here on this forum, TireRack purchasers, the forums which I provided. Personally I LOVE differing views as there's more to learn from them but I ALWAYS look for them based in fact, your claims are based in anecdotal instance compounded by extreme emotion then perpetually broadcast then when simply asked to back it you try to run and hide?!?!?!

So, I've provided many sites and happy to give actual threads if you wish, from those who praise the tires yet you have but yourself and Q&C to state that you've had issues but you'd definitely not want that as it flies in the face of your story... we get it you don't like them but please if you're going to \ make preposterous claims as you've done here EVERY single time a tire has been mentioned have the ***** to back what you say and not run/hide when asked to simply provide us with some backing. I don't think anyone here doesn't believe you had issues, or that Q&C did also, but you're taking it WAY too far in ringing the bell constantly with crap like "They'll kill you" (your exact words), myself and others that have used the tires you speak of have very differing stories. There's a reason the sites I speak highly of them and we are to assume it's simply because they, and I, are all wrong and you have it all right huh? We'll just prove what you say, that the reviews are all bogus, I didn't state that you did, just show us

Last edited by Leeper; 04-11-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I did a fair amount of researching before buying my MPSS's and apart from your ranting couldn't find anyone who had a bad word to say about them so decided to discount your opinion.

I am glad I did because I have had them on my XKR for three years now and am very happy with them. They are much quieter than the Dunlop Sport Maxx's that were on the car and have worn very well with no sign of chunks coming off.

If my opinion and experience with a product differed so obviously from 95% of the rest of the population I would keep quiet not shout from the roof tops otherwise I would risk looking stupid.

Last edited by u102768; 04-11-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a nearly worn out set of Falkens on my XKR at the moment... likely the second set of tires the car has ever seen, given there's less than 30K on the odometer.

Having had a myriad of tire brands on my 30+ vehicles over the years, I've had my share of Michelins. I'm pretty confident, despite the few negative opinions one may encounter along the way, I will buy a new set of Michelins in the next couple of months.

With the introduction of their latest addition to the choices list, I guess I'll be doing some research before contacting Tire Rack.

Sean W (04-13-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Not going to get into this in a big way beyond saying I'm one of the many who love the Continentals (Extreme Pro Contact). I find them to be night-and-day better than the OEM Dunlops. But that's just my vote.

Sean W (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

CeeJay is literally saying professional reviews are wrong and that his opinion is a fact! Wtf. LOL! Lala land? Controlled environments are hardly lala land. It simply means all tires are being tested on the same track, same day, same conditions, same car. That's exactly how you want things tested. Anything else is scientifically null and void.

The hypocrisy is amazing. What makes my opinion of Super Sports any less? I had them on a 400HP 370Z and they felt like glue in dry and wet. They were unshakeable in wet conditions, in fact.

But I'm paid by Michelin to say that, apparently.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Can we call a truce here please? I don't need the stress of watching fellow members rip on each other.

I come to the forum to offer help and get help on my Jaguar.

It's safe to assume given the car we drive, we're a bunch of alpha males. And alpha males can be jerks. So be it.

Raging against the machine gets us nowhere.
Mocking people who are angry gets us nothing.
Proof is not required.
Personal attacks are beyond ridiculous.

I value input here, even what I might consider over the top. Just move on and leave it alone please.

The OP asked if anyone has tried the Michelin Pilot 4S. I may have missed it but from what I can see, no one has as of yet. Can we leave it at that?

The following 4 users liked this post by Sean W:
Cee Jay (04-12-2017), Ozmag (04-12-2017), ralphwg (04-12-2017), White Bear (05-11-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

+1 on that Sean - Well said!!

Old 04-13-2017, 01:56 AM
Banned

yes and no

Part 1 - to directly answer the OP - The 4S has been out a short time in Europe and possibly on the shelf here now. Most all the major sportscar forums are anxiously awaiting them for replacements. You could call TireRack to see if they have them in your size but it is HIGHLY doubtful anyone here has them yet on a Jag. If you have doubts about the tire performacne for your car you could possibly try Costco as they have a pretty generous return policy if I remember correctly call them to make sure. Everything I've read thus far has been extremely positive

Part 2 - Posts #6 and 8 by CeeJay have followed a LONG history of jumping on every mention, and I mean EVERY mention of tires with such warnings as "they'll kill you" and other over-the-top emotionally charged opinions. Post #20 is where he went WAY off the rails and ranted about conspiracy making bold claims which I asked for him to back, when faced with actually having to prove his bold claim he just got louder and more emotional feebly trying to deny/deflect/counter accuse. I feel don't compelled to back away from people because they get louder and more emotional. I'll continue to do so until the Admins ban me. I get it he doesn't like Michelin and likely did have a terrible experience but he doesn't have the right to post ridiculous statements as he did in post #20 and expect me to bite my tongue. If this gets me banned so be it, if it's not directly against the policy then expect me again to jump upon anyone making such a bold claim and not get challenged, and if that poster goes postal I still won't cower

Old 04-13-2017, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I can only speak from experience.

I've been running Michelins in various iterations for a few decades and they have been consistently the quietest, longest lasting and best performing tire on various road conditions and weather across the country. I have also had most of the major brands of tires and few can compare but my second favorites, while not as good, are Continental and Pirelli. In fact I have those both of those brands as well currently on 2 of my other vehicles.

The MPSS have been on the XKR for about 3 years and transformed the car, but I needed more traction and ordered the Cup 2s.

I live in a market where super cars and high performance cars are common place (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, Corvettes and friends and acquaintances alike all swear by MPSS and Cup 2 tires, no bad experiences here.

Last edited by jahummer; 04-13-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Sean W (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
I come to the forum to offer help and get help on my Jaguar.
So do I but I am with Leeper on this one. I have been on this forum for over 7 years and in that time have only ever added two people to my ignore list and one of those was Cee Jay.

I did eventually take him off because he generally posts useful stuff but I find his reaction when people mention Michelin's or iPhone's rude, childish and totally over the top and have no place on this forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
ralphwg (04-13-2017), Sean W (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Leeper, Cee Jay.
You are both right!
Leeper you may not recall I made the same exact case as you did. Only to discover Cee Jay was right. All of a sudden one week after I got through bragging on how good they were- BOTH front tires started disintegrating like they had advanced leprosy....

If you recall, I was also singing the praises of Costco- they could not figure out what to do and were very confused. Heck with them, went to a place I had never been to before- Discount Tire.

They knew exactly what to do- they call this number and put me on the phone with Michellin tech- they get lots of data from us in terms of measurements and whatnot. They gave me 50%. I went back with them because indeed they are excellent. And frankly with this level of service, half the price of even the cheapest tires.

Having ridiculed Cee Jay previously, I was determined to find out why my tires did that, and why just the fronts. Horror of horrors, when they (costco) had sold me the set, they were old stock- and the fronts were 2 years older than the rears. Moreover, around that time was when Michellin and others were perfecting the use of Biodegradable oils such as sunflower. Giving tires a shelf-life regardless of miles driven. In other words the thing that makes them stick is the thing that makes them rot.

Incidentally, Discount Tire was the best place I have ever bought tires. The competence alone was worth it. Gave them all my cars and they even modded one of them with tires fat enough to rub fenders on big bumps. Meaning they were willing to experiment. Good luck trying to get Costco to put on anything other than factory specs.

Rear tires- see no crazy cornering or even much wear

Now for the front tires- remember this happened in the course of one week. Or however long it was since I last looked. Note how little wear there is in the middle, and how the wear is occurring on the edges- in chunks.

yes that thread splitting- why would I drive my beloved baby that doesnt so much as have a scratch on it- with tires splitting- the answer is it happens before you know it!!

The following 3 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Cee Jay (04-13-2017), Michael Spinelli (04-14-2018), Sean W (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Q&C - Your pictures didn't make it into the post, try again.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Apologies. Here are the pics
Rear tires- see no crazy cornering or even much wear

Now for the front tires- remember this happened in the course of one week. Or however long it was since I last looked. Note how little wear there is in the middle, and how the wear is occurring on the edges- in chunks.

yes that's thread splitting- why would I drive my beloved baby that doesnt so much as have a scratch on it- with tires splitting- the answer is it happens before you know it!!

BOTTOMLINE: I can see how a fella would get emotionally scared if this happened to him. I can also see why people still like Michelins- I do too. I can see how we have a tendency to doubt the other person- until it happens to us. I will confess, the world was a much better place when I thought Cee Jay was a nut job.

The following 6 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Cee Jay (04-13-2017), Firecat17 (04-13-2017), jahummer (04-13-2017), Michael Spinelli (04-14-2018), Panthro (04-16-2017), Sean W (04-13-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I put a new set of Michelins on my Porsche 924 and they started to form deep cracks between the treads on all four tires. My mechanic was really surprised to see that happen on a set of expensive new tires and that I should buy a new set of tires. These are new!!! I only put around 500 miles on them when this started happening. I called Michelin and they said they don't cover cracks between treads. I was happy with how they felt on the road but the cracks were getting deeper and deeper. I will not buy Michelins again because of how they treated me as a customer and would not stand behind their product. Then again, I have yet to hear of any tire manufacturer standing behind their product....lol.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 04-13-2017 at 12:32 PM.