XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Mina RS Rear Wing

Old 04-06-2018, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts
Default Mina RS Rear Wing

So my Mina Galleries RS rear wing is due to arrive early next week. Are there installation tips or suggestions that anyone can share with me?

It will be replacing the standard model spoiler and was told that it shouldn't require redrilling the mounting holes. I'm mostly concerned with the high mount brake light wiring and weather sealing to the boot lid but would welcome any input to help make installation as flawless as possible.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

How long ago did you order your wing from Mina?

Old 04-06-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

I ordered it a couple days ago. Chris indicated couldn't provide it painted (seems they are having trouble with their paint service provider) so I agreed to do the finishing on my end. Hopefully, that allows it to ship out quicker and gives me control of color match.

Though I don't have a shipping confirmation yet, my CC was charged and in the past that is when they shipped.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Cee Jay

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

Mina sounds like about the most unreliable company ever!

How do they even stay in business?

Or, maybe they aren't in business any longer and no one shut down the order taking app.

Cee Jay (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It seems all on this form who have ordered from Mina have had a bad experience. I ordered the rear wind breaker but did it through ebay. Some 6 weeks later I didn't get anything so I sent a note through the ebay process telling him that I paid and did not receive the order. Also if I didn't receive the order in a week I would give him a negative rating and cancel my payment. He called me in 24 hrs and apologized and gave me a discount and shipped the item the next day. He added a licence plate frame and key chain to pacify me. I'm now reluctant to order anything from him. Whoever lives near his business should tell him about his bad customer service.

Cee Jay (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Received 270 Likes on 93 Posts

Two things

I had a hell of a time taking my rear wing off, Im sure I did everything wrong but it was not an easy process. Once it was off I seen how bad my GPS antenna thats inside it was rusted and damaged, which confirmed why my GPS never worked. But at least it was easy to put back on. lol

And isnt this Mina guy on this forum? You would think that after all the stuff he does for the Jaguar he would be part of this forum.

pwpacp (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by pwpacp
So my Mina Galleries RS rear wing is due to arrive early next week. Are there installation tips or suggestions that anyone can share with me?

It will be replacing the standard model spoiler and was told that it shouldn't require redrilling the mounting holes. I'm mostly concerned with the high mount brake light wiring and weather sealing to the boot lid but would welcome any input to help make installation as flawless as possible.
My only suggestion is like any other plastic work, make sure everything is warm before attempting it. Cold plastic makes for a brittle experience. I'd also look at the new part for an idea where the mounts are. Tape the surrounding area and be gently strong.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pwpacp
..................Though I don't have a shipping confirmation yet, my CC was charged and in the past that is when they shipped.
Yeah, MY CC was charged over five weeks ago, the day after I made the order. Two days after that, I got an email "Awaiting Shipping".

Old 04-06-2018, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Cee Jay,
I wanted to get by there today to check on your order but ran out of time. I will stop on Monday and I will drive by tomorrow as he might have his shop open then. I will let you know.

Cee Jay (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

@Ridicrick & Ranchero. Thanks for the advise, I figured I'd tape the area up before removing the current spoiler then retape when fitting the new wing.

I had removed the spoiler on my previous XK and was not impressed with how Jag sealed the stock spoiler....seemed to allow a lot of water and dirt under it. Is there a suggested method to seal the mating parts?

Old 04-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Some people have said silicone sealant, but I'd think it'd be a nightmare to remove if ever necessary. I will use that butyl cord weatherstripping, it comes in about 1/4" diameter and I've used it a LOT of different places. Seals like a bandit and still comes apart well and is cleanable with little effort.

10XKR (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

@Cee Jay Thanks, I never thought of that! Looks like I'll be stopping by HD again.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It seems all on this form who have ordered from Mina have had a bad experience. ...
My experience with Chris at Mina was very good. I ordered the rear spoiler for my XJ from him, custom painted Polaris White. The fit and color match was perfect, and the DIY installation was easy.

See my Post #48 in this 2015 thread for details and photos of how I installed that rear spoiler with 3M double-sided automotive tape. It was easy and still looks the same as when I installed it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-109490/page3/

pwpacp (04-06-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 02:07 PM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I've literally just removed my standard spoiler yesterday and fitted the bigger RS one. The worst thing was the round clip near the end at each side. You can just about reach the back of it from inside the boot but no help really as they are a push cone wedge type fit.

You remove all the other bolts first, I.e. the 2 nuts removed from inside, the 2 torx security bolts holding the stop lamp and 3 further standard torx bolts under. I pushed the centre up a bit first then at each fastener, use the heel of your hand and brute force at the side of the clip! They shouldn't break and can be reused.

The GPS antenna is under there and the antenna is stuck in the spoiler! I thought the antenna would be just a wire but it's a plastic film with a metal track in it. You need to be very careful removing it as will need to glue it back in the new spoiler! I used a hairdryer to loosen the glue and thin scraper. The new spoiler fitted very well but I know what the others comments mean about water sealing. The stock foam type strip has joins in it at the corners so I wonder how it stops the water getting through and into the boot? I've tightened it as much as I could expecting it to compress but it doesn't much! There are rubber bungs where the wires go through so might be good enough? The stop light also has no rubber gasket so wonder how that also stops water getting through??

This is the finished article once I've had it painted amongst other items to be shown when totally finished! I can't say how good the Mina one will be but a used genuine spoiler was only a few hundred more and both needed painting anyway! Good luck but let me know if need any more help!

The following 2 users liked this post by Swisstone:
Cee Jay (04-08-2018), u102768 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swisstone
I've literally just removed my standard spoiler yesterday and fitted the bigger RS one. The worst thing was the round clip near the end at each side. You can just about reach the back of it from inside the boot but no help really as they are a push cone wedge type fit.

You remove all the other bolts first, I.e. the 2 nuts removed from inside, the 2 torx security bolts holding the stop lamp and 3 further standard torx bolts under. I pushed the centre up a bit first then at each fastener, use the heel of your hand and brute force at the side of the clip! They shouldn't break and can be reused.

The GPS antenna is under there and the antenna is stuck in the spoiler! I thought the antenna would be just a wire but it's a plastic film with a metal track in it. You need to be very careful removing it as will need to glue it back in the new spoiler! I used a hairdryer to loosen the glue and thin scraper. The new spoiler fitted very well but I know what the others comments mean about water sealing. The stock foam type strip has joins in it at the corners so I wonder how it stops the water getting through and into the boot? I've tightened it as much as I could expecting it to compress but it doesn't much! There are rubber bungs where the wires go through so might be good enough? The stop light also has no rubber gasket so wonder how that also stops water getting through??

This is the finished article once I've had it painted amongst other items to be shown when totally finished! I can't say how good the Mina one will be but a used genuine spoiler was only a few hundred more and both needed painting anyway! Good luck but let me know if need any more help!

Thanks, I am really concerned about trying to keep water out and am concerned about how it is sealed to begin with. I've not had any leak issues but am surely don't want to create one with by changing to a wing. I like like Cee Jay's suggestion to use butyl rubber cord for sealing and think it may be my best bet.

Did you find that the GPS antenna was very delicate to remove of did the heat make it release easily enough?

Old 04-09-2018, 01:36 AM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi,
i think the butyl idea is good. Mine is a second car and I try not to take it out in the rain so I'm going to leave it with the stock foam type seal. The GPS antenna is fixed to the car boot and not the spoiler so you don't have to remove that. You could bond it on with flexible PU adhesive that they use for windscreen bonding similar to silicone but if your GPS box breaks you might have trouble!
It's just the radio antenna that you have to be careful with and use new glue to re attach as it curls up a bit with being a plastic film but it doesn't have to be that neat. If you do break it, I guess a new one won't be expensive? Use a hairdryer at one corner and just slowly pull up and scape underneath. It wasn't to bad.
i think your main problem will be how good a fit the copy spoiler will be and only people with experience of that can advise. Good luck!

pwpacp (04-09-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I really want to order the Mina RS wing too, but as so many people have said how badly it fits, I'm really reluctant.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by multistrada74
I really want to order the Mina RS wing too, but as so many people have said how badly it fits, I'm really reluctant.
Yeah, and you MAY get it shipped before you sell the car, but probably not. You'll have a XKR-S spoiler and nothing to put it on. Course, you'll probably be too old to drive by then also.
Over five weeks since "Ready to Ship"; not even a damned email.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Yeah, and you MAY get it shipped before you sell the car, but probably not. You'll have a XKR-S spoiler and nothing to put it on. Course, you'll probably be too old to drive by then also.
Over five weeks since "Ready to Ship"; not even a damned email.
wow, that sucks. bummer to hear, as i'd be all over it if it wasn't the case for so many.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mina RS Rear Wing