XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Mina RS Rear Wing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

OK, so I got my spoiler today! Chris was apologetic and made right what he could. If I hadn't asked for the Paint, I'd have had it over a month ago. Oh well.
Anyway, it has a good shape to it, but since it's not painted, it's the raw deal out of the form with a bit of cleanup done and a light coat of primer. It will need a couple hours of bodywork to make it worthy.
I've already started the process; took off most of the original primer although it looks OK, then laid on a couple medium coats of a good high-build which I will sand 95% of it off. Then a coat (or four) of paint. Of course I cannot speak to fitment because No Paint yet.
At least I have it now!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
jahummer (04-17-2018), TexasTraveler (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Great, I'm glad it finally showed up for you!

I'm still waiting for their tracking number confirmation. I would expect the same level of prep as you so my work will be cut out for me when it does finally shows up. Lots of questions on installation yet though, and won't be able to detail any until it shows up to work with.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Cee Jay,
I'm so glad you finally got it. Pictures when it's done, I'm thinking about doing it as well. Let us know about the fitment.
Ted

Cee Jay (04-16-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Though I've not recieved the Wing yet I'm some what concerned about how it will fit on the boot lid in relation to the shark fin antenna that it would be close to. I've been Googling photos of XK-RS's boots but there are few and none, so far, show enough detail to settle the question for me.

Worst case I may have to modify the wing a little or replace the boot lid to make a clean install.

Last edited by pwpacp; 04-17-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by pwpacp
Though I've not recieved the Wing yet I'm some what concerned about how it will fit on the boot lid in relation to the shark fin antenna that it would be close to. I've been Googling photos of XK-RS's boots but there are few and none, so far, show enough detail to settle the question for me.

Worst case I may have to modify the wing a little or replace the boot lid to make a clean install.
It is very close but it clears... Here are the only pics I have but could take some others when I get home later if needed...

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
dcmackintosh (04-17-2018), pwpacp (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:32 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

For some reason my brain was thinking you were talking about the Speed Pack spoiler, not the RS Wing. I think the pics above temporarily confused me. I think I am now back up to speed.

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by 10XKR; 04-17-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks TexasTraveler, I'm hoping the clearance is similar with the Mina two piece aero wing I've ordered.

TexasTraveler (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Halfway through the bodywork, and this thing has quite a few pinholes on the edges. It'll take a bit to make it to the end and ready for paint. I'm on primer coat four now, and most (nearly all) of it has been sanded off. There are a few areas that need a billionth-of-an-inch of build yet, but overall it isn't horrible at all.
I DID notice that there are no mounting holes anywhere, but there are provisions FOR them. I'll know more on this once I get the old one off.
Of course, I COULD bring the thing to a shop and pay the $150 or so, but what's the fun in that? Besides, I'm sort of **** about some things, and if there was a tiny tick or extra wave somewhere when done, I'd be pissed at myself cuz I didn't do it myself.
Well, back to my (ugh) favorite pastime... Wet Sanding!!!

Old 04-17-2018, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Halfway through the bodywork, and this thing has quite a few pinholes on the edges. It'll take a bit to make it to the end and ready for paint. I'm on primer coat four now, and most (nearly all) of it has been sanded off. There are a few areas that need a billionth-of-an-inch of build yet, but overall it isn't horrible at all.
I DID notice that there are no mounting holes anywhere, but there are provisions FOR them. I'll know more on this once I get the old one off.
Of course, I COULD bring the thing to a shop and pay the $150 or so, but what's the fun in that? Besides, I'm sort of **** about some things, and if there was a tiny tick or extra wave somewhere when done, I'd be pissed at myself cuz I didn't do it myself.
It is starting to sound like there is a significant amount of finish work needed to get this in acceptable condition. I would have assumed that this would have been done by the supplier (Mina) prior to shipping. Apparently you have the skill and capability to do this but for others who have ordered the same product and who don't have the ability it's going to be an additional cost. Based on the adds it makes the buyer feel that this is a finished product and is a simple DIY installation. For those it's getting to be more like taking it to a body shop to install. It kind of makes me wonder if it is less costly to buy a used OEM.

Cee Jay (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It is starting to sound like there is a significant amount of finish work needed to get this in acceptable condition. I would have assumed that this would have been done by the supplier (Mina) prior to shipping. Apparently you have the skill and capability to do this but for others who have ordered the same product and who don't have the ability it's going to be an additional cost. Based on the adds it makes the buyer feel that this is a finished product and is a simple DIY installation. For those it's getting to be more like taking it to a body shop to install. It kind of makes me wonder if it is less costly to buy a used OEM.
In the midst of my labors I started thinking that exact same thing.

Since Mina can't deliver a prepped-and-painted part due to subcontractors, then this probably isn't the part for everyone.
Then you have the OTHER side...... if one were to buy a Factory Original used -S spoiler, then what will you actually receive? It may be pristine and in the exact color... it may be flaky, chipped, gooey and whatever else. BUT either way, it would be a plug-and-play part.

Then the THIRD side.... after these few hours of work and then $100 or so for a seal/color/clear from a shop, I'll have a very near perfect piece, just no exact mounting. Hmmmm..... yeah, I think I'll do a test fit and get everything ready to mount BEFORE I get it painted.

I checked into getting a new OEM through Jaguar, but since I didn't have a VIN to an R-S they wouldn't sell me a part for one.

I never checked eBay either, as some stuff I've bought wasn't the Most Perfect Ever.

Once I get the preliminary fill-n-sanding done, I'll take a few pictures and post them here. The less than perfect spots are quite noticeable with grey primer and the white gel part. Still and all, it's not that bad and probably would only need one light prime and a blocking to make it presentable.

Final Thought;
IF this fits well and is easy enough to install, the low cost will make it a viable purchase for those who like the style (once I compared this to the stock one, and now the tiny stocker looks ridiculous). If a purchaser has a trustworthy paint shop who is capable of doing basic paint prep and paint for a decent price, it'll be worth it.

If it DOESN'T fit well or is a royal pain to install..... well......
"Anybody wanna buy a Mina R-S spoiler?"

more to follow

Last edited by Cee Jay; 04-17-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Added paragraphs to make it more readable
Old 04-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

I checked into getting a new OEM through Jaguar, but since I didn't have a VIN to an R-S they wouldn't sell me a part for one.
If you decide you want to buy an OEM version I can direct you to a dealer who will get it for you, and so far they are also the lowest price I can find anywhere.

Cheers,

Dave

Cee Jay (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

keep wet sanding that thing! I’m glad you got it in one piece.

On a side note.. wasn’t there a dyno day in your future? Stock vs tune and pulleys?

Joe

Old 04-17-2018, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

OK, this is it after two full coats of primer and a 98% sand, then two spot primer coats and another sand. THEN, a red guide coat and the final sand. No red left.

The larger grey areas are very thin, probably single-digit microns.
The smaller, darker grey are a bit thicker, maybe over 20 microns. A couple deep pinholes on the edges may be up to...... 50 microns? Total guess.

The blackish-dark amber got down to the gel coat, only on the edges which did need a bit of help.
The white is the top of the gel, I don't know exactly what it is. It is pretty hard, maybe a color gel?
The corner areas needed a bit more help than the flatter areas, but again it wasn't "horrible" by any means.
ANYWAY, it is now very very smooth and 'flat'. Total actual Work time is about 90 minutes, but I sometimes overdo it.
It needs a good sealer then primer/paint/clear. That shouldn't take long or be much $$ since I did the hard part.
As you can see, there are spots to mount the CHMSL but no holes. The under side is the same, tab-like spots but no holes, you can see them through the CHMSL cutout.

jahummer (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by S-Typer
On a side note.. wasn’t there a dyno day in your future? Stock vs tune and pulleys?
Joe
Mandrake and I have a tentative time on this Friday, but he's trying to get someone to record some video. Man, if he DID get 120+ and a very notable power increase, I'll jump right on that. I think the cost was $3500 or around there somewhere, plus the work.

ALSO, at that time I will have him help me Prove that my ACC will stop my car, tho merely for a second.

u102768 (04-18-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 PM

Mandrake and I have a tentative time on this Friday, but he's trying to get someone to record some video. Man, if he DID get 120+ and a very notable power increase, I'll jump right on that. I think the cost was $3500 or around there somewhere, plus the work.

ALSO, at that time I will have him help me Prove that my ACC will stop my car, tho merely for a second.
The body work looks great. It’s more than I thought it would be needed.. but it’s gonna look great. I’m ready to jump on VAP tune, pulley and cats...wasn’t sure if I I should go next step. I’ve been waiting for that Mandrake beast to run. Best money we can spend for that type of power. Keep us posted!

Old 04-17-2018, 09:04 PM

Btw.. my previous XK (07) with most options. It had ACC and adaptive lighting (except leather dash and super adjustable seats). I remember it saying something about it stopping on it’s own. Or a button that said auto stop or something. I tried it at 10 mph and.. it wasn’t gonna stop. Was that feature advertised as stopping on its own?

Last edited by S-Typer; 04-17-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I had to use a Dremel to cut bolt holes and spots for the clips to snap in place, as well as add 3M molding tape and foam weather striping...it definitely was not plug and play.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by S-Typer
Btw.. my previous XK (07) with most options. It had ACC and adaptive lighting (except leather dash and super adjustable seats). I remember it saying something about it stopping on it’s own. Or a button that said auto stop or something. I tried it at 10 mph and.. it wasn’t gonna stop. Was that feature advertised as stopping on its own?
This is what the owners manual says and it matches both my old '07 XKR and my current '10 XKR but Cee Jay is adamant that the ACC on his '10 XKR will bring the car to a halt. I hope he is right because I would prefer it if my car did that too.

"ACC operates between approximately 34 km/h and 180 km/h (21 mph and 112 mph) dependent on the country
specification. Set speeds outside this range will not be captured.

When in follow mode the vehicle will not decelerate automatically to a stop, nor will the vehicle always decelerate quickly enough to avoid a collision without driver intervention.

If the speed of the vehicle decreases below 30 km/h (18 mph), the ACC system will be automatically switched OFF and the instrument warning light will go out.

If the brakes were being applied by the ACC system, they will be slowly released.

This will be accompanied by an audible warning, and DRIVER INTERVENE will be displayed on the message centre. The driver must take control."

Old 04-18-2018, 07:16 AM

Some great info in this thread. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2018, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
This is what the owners manual says and it matches both my old '07 XKR and my current '10 XKR but Cee Jay is adamant that the ACC on his '10 XKR will bring the car to a halt. I hope he is right because I would prefer it if my car did that too........
Yep, absolutely adamant, because it does. Heck, I may try to video it myself today, but waiting for a suitable situation sometimes is difficult. Gotta find a traffic stop point with a vehicle in front of me that will actually STOP and not blow through.
I even make it a point to show any passengers the feature when the situation arises.
Maybe I got a weird one.

Quick Reply: Mina RS Rear Wing