Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Mirrors won't fold in when locking car? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/mirrors-wont-fold-when-locking-car-104819/)

Tahoe Dave 10-19-2013 04:30 PM

Mirrors won't fold in when locking car?

I had my 2008 XK detailed and now, when I lock the car the mirrors won't fold in. I went into the vehicle settings and the folding mirror feature is ON. The mirrors will not respond with either the key fob or the locking mechanism on the handles.

It could be a coincidence that this happened after the detail, however, I cant help but wonder if "they" inadvertently did something?

Any suggestions?

Quebecjag 10-19-2013 04:38 PM

Hi Tahoe Dave,

Is you miror adjustment from the inside work?

I'm sure there is a techy who know all the wiring of the jags. Maybe the motor is on the same wiring as the miror adjustment? Any thought somebody?
Guy

amcdonal86 10-19-2013 04:42 PM

Hmm... I suspect the battery. The XK is extremely sensitive to low voltage on the battery. If you had the car detailed, I suspect the doors were kept open for long periods of time and may have drained the battery sufficiently to cause weird electrical gremlins. (The power mirrors and windows are known to have issues when low battery voltage occurs.)

If this is indeed the cause, I wouldn't blame the detailer--Jaguars seem to be special in this regard and I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone working on your car to know this!

Tahoe Dave 10-19-2013 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Quebecjag (Post 836771)
Hi Tahoe Dave,

Is you miror adjustment from the inside work?

I'm sure there is a techy who know all the wiring of the jags. Maybe the motor is on the same wiring as the miror adjustment? Any thought somebody?
Guy

I just tried the mirrors (at your suggestion) and they work just fine. I went back into the vehicle settings to be sure that the folding feature is indeed selected.

Looking for more suggestions!

Tahoe Dave 10-19-2013 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86 (Post 836774)
Hmm... I suspect the battery. The XK is extremely sensitive to low voltage on the battery. If you had the car detailed, I suspect the doors were kept open for long periods of time and may have drained the battery sufficiently to cause weird electrical gremlins. (The power mirrors and windows are known to have issues when low battery voltage occurs.)

If this is indeed the cause, I wouldn't blame the detailer--Jaguars seem to be special in this regard and I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone working on your car to know this!

Good point on the battery. However, I had the car detailed at our kids house which is 100 miles from our home. The car spent the night (out of town) and started up just fine. I subsequently drove the 100 miles to our house and the problem remains?

I'm not anxious to blame the detailer, as a practical matter, he's too far away to fuss at.

CleverName 10-20-2013 01:00 AM

I didnt know the US got folding mirrors on the '07-'09 series...

Tahoe Dave 10-20-2013 09:35 AM

Fixed! If this happens to you, press and hold the two buttons on the mirror control and they will fold in. Then, press and hold the same two buttons and they fold out. This process resets the mirrors, after which, all is good.

JeremyB 10-20-2013 09:58 AM

Aah - I was just typing that as a reply......
Yes, manually folding/unfolding the mirrors over-rides the 'fold on lock' feature, until you complete the cycle.
Nicely designed too: I have a narrow garage, so manually fold mine before entering. They stay that way when I back-out too.

And, for 'Clevername': Power-fold mirrors were part of the 'Luxury Package' in 2007/08. Along with Carelia wheels, heated steering wheel., more adjustable seats with softer perforated leather seats, and leather on the dash and doors.
(That last one is a mixed blessing, because it's known to dry-out/ stretch).

Jeremy

CleverName 10-20-2013 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyB (Post 837065)
And, for 'Clevername': Power-fold mirrors were part of the 'Luxury Package' in 2007/08. Along with Carelia wheels, heated steering wheel., more adjustable seats with softer perforated leather seats, and leather on the dash and doors.
(That last one is a mixed blessing, because it's known to dry-out/ stretch).

Jeremy

I have the Luxury and Technology packs but my mirrors don't fold...so that's not it for us 07 owners...:icon_shrug:

JeremyB 10-20-2013 07:54 PM

>> so that's not it for us 07 owners...

Aack, sorry - I mis-spoke.
I have a 2008 US-market XK brochure that I used for reference...

Must have been a change for '08 (the only other one I know is the antenna in the rear spoiler).

plums 10-20-2013 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave (Post 837052)
Fixed! If this happens to you, press and hold the two buttons on the mirror control and they will fold in. Then, press and hold the same two buttons and they fold out. This process resets the mirrors, after which, all is good.

This is what happens if the mirrors are folded manually. They lose sync and have to be resynced. A sure sign of it is that the mirrors vibrate at speed.

amcdonal86 10-21-2013 03:58 PM

Dang it, I was hoping my battery theory was going to hold up. :D Glad you figured it out!

Tahoe Dave 10-22-2013 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86 (Post 838009)
Dang it, I was hoping my battery theory was going to hold up. :D Glad you figured it out!

Just know that until I cracked open the owners manual, you were clearly the front runner!