Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nav CD drive in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Nav CD drive in trunk

Dear all,

I almost never use the built-in nav system in my 2011 XK. I find it much more convenient to use google maps on my smartphone for this purpose.

Would you advise to remove the nav cd from the cd drive in the trunk for my scenario? This to limit wear on the cd drive and maybe other systems in its vicinity.

Br,
ter

Old 04-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

This reminds me of my Mother-in-Law who complains nearly daily that she has to clear out her Call Log on her phone "because there are duplicates of numbers in there". Her daughter and I both tell her "Don't look at it!" but she still does look and still does complain. And still does spend needless time deleting her Call Log.
It ALSO reminds me of my Father-in-Law..... who for decades REFUSED to buy any car (used car, he never bought anything new in his life) that had Air Conditioning in it, as "If it broke I wouldn't fix it so why have it?"

The following users liked this post:
sparky fuze (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
This reminds me of my Mother-in-Law who complains nearly daily that she has to clear out her Call Log on her phone "because there are duplicates of numbers in there". Her daughter and I both tell her "Don't look at it!" but she still does look and still does complain. And still does spend needless time deleting her Call Log.
It ALSO reminds me of my Father-in-Law..... who for decades REFUSED to buy any car (used car, he never bought anything new in his life) that had Air Conditioning in it, as "If it broke I wouldn't fix it so why have it?"
seems like a reasonable approach that your father-in-law suggests! ;-)

edit: my grand ma had a similar approach to mobile phones. Turned it off when not making a call. But grand ma, if you turn it off, nobody can call ya! ...But then the waste of electricity, if the mobile is left on uselessly!!! ;-)

...I am almost there with my initial post!

Last edited by Ter11; 04-01-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Cee Jay (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Funny this came up as both Google and the car sent me the wrong way yesterday while heading out to pick up a new to me bass amp. Nothing pisses me off more than running late because the car starts heading me down a main road away from the target once I miss a turn and once Google is running it turns me the wrong way at the last turn and I watch the mail box numbers decreasing versus increasing.

Plugged in return to home and it didn't start navigating until I got to the main roads. All old construction so who knows...

Old 04-01-2019, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

I leave mine in. I never use it for navigation (too slow, takes too log to set up, maps too old, etc. compared to phone) but I will throw the "live map" up on the screen once in a while when I'm in unfamiliar territory to help navigate upcoming turns and such as the screen is bigger and easier to see than the phone.

pwpacp (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by shemp
I leave mine in. I never use it for navigation (too slow, takes too log to set up, maps too old, etc. compared to phone) but I will throw the "live map" up on the screen once in a while when I'm in unfamiliar territory to help navigate upcoming turns and such as the screen is bigger and easier to see than the phone.
+1

Old 04-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm with Shemp. Mine's in but I don't use it except for situational awareness in unfamiliar areas. If I'm headed into parts unknown, I familiarize myself with the intended route from Google Maps on my laptop (larger screen) at home, prior to engine start. 30 years as a Navigator compels me to know where I'm going, how to get there and back unaided and to usually keep at least one alternate route in my hip pocket. More importantly, having a plan BEFORE heading out into the wild, allows me to scan for and avoid meeting the many lost souls staring into their cell phones for guidance.

The following 2 users liked this post by Old Radar:
Cee Jay (04-01-2019), Ranchero50 (04-01-2019)