Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Need new tires. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/need-new-tires-91013/)

PSK 03-03-2013 09:50 AM

Need new tires.

Blew out winter tire yesterday. Though I have a set of summer tires at dealer, they may need replacement. This is my last winter in WI, so with only a little winter left - I want to move into a tire that can handle Wi weather less the worst part of winter. So maybe temps as low as freezing on occasion. But plan to spend winters (nov-apr) in a warmer climate. I'm concerned about all season tires because of additional road noise. Any suggestions?

chazaroo 03-03-2013 11:31 AM

I just got a set of the Hankook V12 evo. Great tire for both handling and quiet. However, I'm in Florida and this is not a cold weather tire. HAving said that, Hankook also makes a couple ultra high performance all season tires; the Ventus S1 noble2 and the Ventus v4 ES H105. You might want to check them out

CleverName 03-03-2013 12:58 PM

Anything "regularly" done near or below freezing temps is going to exclude summer high performance tires. If your saying your Jag wont see the streets till temps hit 40+, then stay away from All Seasons, and enjoy a good performance set like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, or Bridgestone S-04.
The reviews on the Michelin's actually have me thinking about leaving my favored brand (Bridgestone) to give them a try.

Vince

Vince

mosesbotbol 03-03-2013 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by CleverName (Post 688531)
If your saying your Jag wont see the streets till temps hit 40+, then stay away from All Seasons, and enjoy a good performance set like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, or Bridgestone S-04.
The reviews on the Michelin's actually have me thinking about leaving my favored brand (Bridgestone) to give them a try.

Big fan of Bridgestone S-0* tires. Well priced and amazing wet weather handling, along with a quiet ride and good handling. Not good for cold weather. If I didn't need all season tires, I'd go with Bridgestone.

Bruce H. 03-03-2013 10:06 PM

If you can't drive something else on the worst of the remaining winter days then just replace the blown winter tire. If you won't need them in the future then you can sell the complete set of 4 vs just 3. Not a waste of money at all ...all things considered.

Bruce

PSK 03-04-2013 09:03 AM

Thank for all the posts - winter storm coming in today and I have to drive in it. I'll be able to get around that in future winters as both my husband and I will be retired so I can share his car on those under 40 degree days. Though its not a Jag its a Lincoln SLK so I won't "hate" drive. LOL Think I'll go with 1 winter tire replacement and if my summer tires need replacement I'll stick with the high performance summer tires. As Bruce said, if my plan holds to not be in WI in winter, I can sell them! Thanks again - really helped me get my head on straight.

amcdonal86 03-04-2013 04:41 PM

Does your dealer store your summer tires for you? I don't understand what you meant by "I have a set of summer tires at dealer."

PSK 03-05-2013 06:39 AM

Yes, dealer stores my extra set of tires. It's a really nice service. Had a Lexus SC 400 a couple cars ago and Lexus didn't have storage. What a pain to get tires back and forth for service when car isn't big enough for even 1 extra tire.

amcdonal86 03-05-2013 07:01 AM

Wow, that IS a great service! I wonder if my dealer here has storage.