Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   New air intake system for XKR coming soon from Mina (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/new-air-intake-system-xkr-coming-soon-mina-206678/)

tberg 08-15-2018 08:32 PM

New air intake system for XKR coming soon from Mina

I stopped by Mina Galleries today to pick up a pair of hood vents for my 2010 XKR (as one of mine flew off on the freeway, yesterday). Chris told me he is developing a new more efficient air intake system for our cars and asked me if he could fit the system to my car as a prototype. He expects increased performance and better sound from these new intakes. I told him I would bring my car in the week after next and that I'd be happy to be the guinea pig. I asked him if he really thought there was a sufficient market for the item, and he said he's had a lot of requests across the Jaguar lineup for such a system. I have no idea what it will cost or how involved installation is but I'll let you know once it's done. Nice to see a vendor striving to bring new and improved products for our cars to market.

CleverName 08-15-2018 10:19 PM

As long as they have before and after dyno figure to back any claims, this sounds interesting.

tberg 08-15-2018 10:30 PM

I'll suggest that to Chris and see what he says.

Ranchero50 08-16-2018 08:25 AM

Without being willing to dyno the results I would be very leery of any intake parts.

Rey 08-16-2018 10:40 AM

I bought an original Mina intake years ago for my '07 XK. At that time Mina only made an XKR system. The 4.2 XKs have a larger diameter MAF tube than the 4.2 XKRs, relying on a single intake tract as opposed to the dual on the XKR. So, in the end I was not able to use the MIna. Whatever, I was not dazzled by the Mina intake components. Mina used a metal MAF tube to replace the oem. The downstream seal on the Mina tube was primitive, and not nearly as effective as oem. The air filters offered by Mina were cheap cone no-name filters. My recall is I paid about $200+ for the Mina. I think one could cobb up a cheaper and better system for about $100+.

jahummer 08-16-2018 09:02 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-works-200931/

I built my own, with the right design and more volume of air flowing an improvement should be seen. I'll be very curious to see what Chris comes up with this time. The MAF tube is probably the critical part of the puzzle, flow and sensor positioning are very important so I chose to integrate the OEM ones and had no issues whatsover.

racerxf12004 08-17-2018 07:44 AM

Guys, don't waste your time and money on any of these cold air intake systems. Its all a myth. Go into YouTube and type a search CAI myth. There are dozens of dyno videos debunking this trendy mod. Some of these people routed the intake directly outside in front of the radiator and got little or no HP gains.

CleverName 08-17-2018 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by racerxf12004 (Post 1948067)
Guys, don't waste your time and money on any of these cold air intake systems. Its all a myth.

I'll have to disagree.
Your comment is very generic, and does not take into consideration all intake systems in use. Intake and exhaust is one of the first areas any turbo owner addresses to improve airflow.

However, I will provide a caveat, that I have also seen many aftermarket intakes and exhaust systems that were sold on the bling and placebo effect, only to finally get challenged by someone in the race industry willing to dyno the changes... With that, it was both funny and sad, to watch 'angry' owners claiming the suddenly produced 'facts' are a lie! (the facts were not a lie, but they were embarrassed to admit they purchased and were bragging up a product that turned out to be detrimental to performance.)

As I participated and or followed mostly SCCA, IRDC and ICSCC (basically grassroots motorsports) racing teams, cold air induction systems are in fact beneficial when done correctly. You don't get a 2.0l 4-banger up into the high 500hp range without a quality cold air induction system.

So.... Cold air induction is not a myth. Just misunderstood and abused by companies wanting to make a fast buck on the bling effect without any true engineering. If anyone makes or releases a CAI, and fails to back performance gains with facts, I'd never buy it.

:icon_twocents:
Vince

bigdhenderson 08-17-2018 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by racerxf12004 (Post 1948067)
Guys, don't waste your time and money on any of these cold air intake systems. Its all a myth. Go into YouTube and type a search CAI myth. There are dozens of dyno videos debunking this trendy mod. Some of these people routed the intake directly outside in front of the radiator and got little or no HP gains.

Our cars already have the intake routed in front of the radiator from the factory.

Interested to see what mina comes up with, but based on past experience I'd never buy from them again. I was hoping Derek Fricke would have had something made by now.

jagtoes 08-17-2018 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson (Post 1948300)
Our cars already have the intake routed in front of the radiator from the factory.

Interested to see what mina comes up with, but based on past experience I'd never buy from them again. I was hoping Derek Fricke would have had something made by now.

Look at it this way. There will most likely be no data to support it's improvement. If you order it you will never get it. If it does arrive it won't fit and if it does fit it will trigger a whole bunch of codes. So are there any other customer issues that were not identified. Hopefully someone can ask Mina to join the form and clear up some of this past history.

Mufc 08-17-2018 09:04 PM

And we wonder why there is no aftermarket support for our cars. Really.

Tatty 08-18-2018 07:31 AM

I read somewhere that Jaguar done a really good job of the intake system on the XK’s so if it did make an improvement I can’t see it being noticeable or worth the money!

MarkyUK 08-18-2018 09:00 AM

Am about to purchase a 5.0 2013 Artisan and was wondering about was wondering about modified air intakes, I've only seen K&N drop in filters which I'd not touch.

Having been the previous owner of an X100 I modified that with BMC carbon dynamics intake, custom made manifold/header and straight through balanced exhaust with no silencers and catalytic convertor bypass pipes. At the time I had it dyno'd at the Noble HQ in Leics back in 2010 it was producing 28rw bhp than an unmodified car (there were 10 cars in total present)

But when you consider the prices I paid of:

Carbon dynamic intake = £400
Custom headers = £700
by-pass pipes £500
full SS exhaust = £500

Total = £2100 (at that time $3300) that equates to less than 1 x bhp per $100, so don't think it's practical on an N/A engine, supercharged or turbo'd then possibly more-so. Will try and dig out the email with the dyno results and post them up

Oh, can anyone clarify if the exhaust on the 150 still wrap around the rear axles like it does on the 100?

Ranchero50 08-18-2018 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by MarkyUK (Post 1948542)
Oh, can anyone clarify if the exhaust on the 150 still wrap around the rear axles like it does on the 100?

No, straight shot under / around the differential so it's very easy to swap components.

I agree that the ROI on performance upgrades is pretty low on the newer stuff. Back in the day on the early 5.0 Mustangs, $10/hp was pretty good, 20hp for a catback, similar for roller rockers and similar for a throttle body upgrade. Big HP for a head swap and exhaust. Current stuff you start out so high on the available performance that it's painfully expensive to upgrade. Add in the 'premium' for it being a Jaguar and there's very little incentive for the average owner to outlay the cash for minimal increase. Most aftermarket parts do not have dyno sheets because honestly they do not increase performance so much as emotionally make you feel better about your car. Hard to gauge that 'value'.

vacolorito 08-19-2018 10:02 AM

What's your opinion of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss?

u102768 08-19-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by vacolorito (Post 1948972)
What's your opinion of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss?

I switched from part worn Dunlop Sport Maxx's to 4S's and my 10 XKR (with XKR-S tune) went from a wheel spinning mess to a grip and go road warrior. I hardly ever see the traction control light now.

Cee Jay 08-19-2018 02:32 PM

Okay, "SOMEONE" is running around deleting a bunch of my posts, and I certainly HOPE that it is not a targeted action against me alone.... but it appears that it MAY be such a case. Targeted censorship action taken unilaterally and solely by the discretion of a single individual without any ACTUAL and VALID reasoning would be very...... objectionable.
Anyway, I'm not a fan of ANY Michelin tires because of a horribly bad experience I once had with them, but on the OTHER hand, I have not had any experience WITH Michelin tires since then.... and I have heard that they VASTLY improved the quality since my debacle . . . . but I'd still be leery of trying them myself.

Of course, THIS post also may be deleted by person or persons unknown.

kj07xk 08-19-2018 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 1949068)
Okay, "SOMEONE" is running around deleting a bunch of my posts, and I certainly HOPE that it is not a targeted action against me alone.... but it appears that it MAY be such a case. Targeted censorship action taken unilaterally and solely by the discretion of a single individual without any ACTUAL and VALID reasoning would be very...... objectionable.
Anyway, I'm not a fan of ANY Michelin tires because of a horribly bad experience I once had with them, but on the OTHER hand, I have not had any experience WITH Michelin tires since then.... and I have heard that they VASTLY improved the quality since my debacle . . . . but I'd still be leery of trying them myself.

Of course, THIS post also may be deleted by person or persons unknown.

Somebody holding stock in Michelin??? :icon_denk:

Cee Jay 08-19-2018 02:56 PM

Regardless, sorry to have deviated from the MINA Intake thread

Ranchero50 08-19-2018 03:05 PM

Well, I saw the tire question and knew this thread was over. PSA time, "Use the search function dingleberry's".