XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New to me 2007 XK

Old 09-08-2017, 06:11 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New to me 2007 XK

I just picked up a 2007 XK convertible with only 17k on the clock!! Love the car.
On the way to the DMV to get registered, got a code (gas cap from what the interpretation was: P0442 Evaporative Emission System Leak detected (small leak). which is stopping me from getting the car registered (happened after I filled up with gas and drove for about 150 miles) and autozone didn't have the gas cap (I did open and re-tighten the cap, but the check engine light remains lit). Taking it to my mechanic to be sure.

Also, according to the Jaguar prepurchase inspection, the rubber boots on all control arms and links are torn or busted (was told that something that needs to be replaced sooner than later).

All new tires but the previous owner never had the tire pressure systems setup (getting the annoying error) - I'm guessing the tires need to be removed and new sensors inserted?

Does anyone have any idea at the cost for the work (I know the rubber boots don't just get replaced, its the whole assembly).

I was very happy that my S7 synced up to the car!!

It is such a fun car to drive (needs quite a bit of TLC, but that I can handle on my own)!!
Jon

Old 09-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

Jon,

Congrats on your XK purchase! I bought mine six months ago with 20k miles on it. Mine also needed suspension components. Here's a very helpful thread about the upper control arms. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-arms-187168/

You'll be better off buying the entire upper control arm from Motorcraft (Ford) than trying to replace the bushing. As you'll see in the thread above, the part is made by Jaguar in England but if you buy it as a Motorcraft (Ford) part, you can get the front control arms for around $140 each.

I don't have experience with the other issues you mention, but this forum is enormously helpful and I'm sure the other members will chime in.

Have you posted a picture in the new member area? Let's see a pic here, too! You'll want to add your vehicle specs to your signature as well, to aid other posters in giving you the best help.

Welcome to the club! Enjoy your XK!

Peter

Old 09-08-2017, 08:07 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Welcome aboard! Let's see some pics.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by envincibal
I just picked up a 2007 XK convertible with only 17k on the clock!! Love the car.
On the way to the DMV to get registered, got a code (gas cap from what the interpretation was: P0442 Evaporative Emission System Leak detected (small leak). which is stopping me from getting the car registered (happened after I filled up with gas and drove for about 150 miles) and autozone didn't have the gas cap (I did open and re-tighten the cap, but the check engine light remains lit). Taking it to my mechanic to be sure.

The check engine light should clear after a few "drive cycles" and XXX miles. Or you can clear it manually with an OBD reader. I would recommend that you get a code reader. They are cheap. My recommendation is a dedicated unit with temperature display that you can leave on the dash and monitor the engine temp as these cars don't have that from the factory. I have an Autool X50 Plus. You can find them on ebay for less than $35. You can also get a Bluetooth interface to your phone and an app for the phone to read and clear the codes.

The following users liked this post:
envincibal (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default pics attached

That's my dad trying to get out in the one pic...

Attached Thumbnails New to me 2007 XK-20170905_164331.jpg   New to me 2007 XK-20170905_180841.jpg   New to me 2007 XK-20170905_180903.jpg  
Old 09-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Welcome to the 007 club Jon.

envincibal (09-11-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Looks great, especially with the Senta wheels!
+1 on getting an OBD reader that can reset the codes. Then you'll know if reseating the gas cap solved the problem, and then you can register the car.

Apparently a state-by-state thing, as IL doesn't even look at the car when you register at the DMV (don't even need to bring it), all you need is the title and a big check (purchased out of state, so had to pay IL taxes and fees when registering ).

envincibal (09-11-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Welcome aboard. You are in for a lot of pleasure.

Two suggestions.

First if your new XK is not a daily driver get it a CTek or other brand of battery maintainer and keep it plugged in when the car is not in use. Cteks can be bought on EBay or Amazon along with an extension cord for under $100. Jaguar will sell you a Jaguar branded CTek for more.

Second, Get the remote top control kit from thejaguarwrangler.com. It is perhaps the most usable aftermarket accessory you can have on your 07 vert. If you do decide to get it get the rear window accessory kit with it and then you will be able to raise and lower your rear windows with the top down. The remote controller was invented by and manufactured a forum member whose handle is whitexkr. The total cost is around $300 or you can have it professionally installed. Since you are in Delaware Steve may either help you install it or install it himself. He is an all around good guy.

envincibal (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Welcome aboard! It is great getting fresh members. You will find that most of your questions can be answered with just a little research on this forum.

Be prepaired to get lots of admiring looks and compliments on your ride too. I still find myself visiting the garage from time to time to do a "pinch me", and I'm on my second vert!

envincibal (09-11-2017)