XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

New to me 2008 XKR - have a few questinons

Old 08-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New to me 2008 XKR - have a few questinons

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2008 XKR with 29500 miles. It's of course out of the factory warranty. I'm really on the fence about an extended service contract. I've priced it at Carchex / Assurant Solutions and they want $4,082 for a 3 year / 30,000 mile Titanium warranty with the high tech and key guard packages added on. I'm going to get a few more quotes, but does that seem about right? Does anyone have any personal experience with Assurant Solutions?

I noticed on my car that my drivers side window doesn't roll down quite as far as my passenger side. I can still see a good bit of the middle of the window when it's fully rolled down. I'm assuming this is not typical - is there an adjustment process or something else likely going on?

Are there any known problem areas with these cars which I should go take a look at? I do have the dash pulling problem in one spot to the right of the instrument panel. It's not too bad but mildly annoying.

I also need to touch up the paint in a few places. I have the Dr. Colorchip crap but I couldn't get it to work very well. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. I need to find the right color touch up paint for the car before giving it a go on this car.

Ryan

Old 08-05-2014, 06:29 PM

Is there not a way to correct a spelling mistake in the subject line of my post? I don't see an edit button anywhere.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

You can buy the factory touch up paint at a Jaguar dealer.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

You can try resetting the power windows - just press and hold the button until the window goes all the way down and you hear a "click", the press and hold the button until the window goes all the way up until hear the "click" again. You have to do that after disconnecting the battery too - otherwise the "auto-up and auto-down" won't work.

Not sure if it'll fix your problem but, it's a good place to start.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by whostorm05
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2008 XKR with 29500 miles. It's of course out of the factory warranty. I'm really on the fence about an extended service contract. I've priced it at Carchex / Assurant Solutions and they want $4,082 for a 3 year / 30,000 mile Titanium warranty with the high tech and key guard packages added on. I'm going to get a few more quotes, but does that seem about right? Does anyone have any personal experience with Assurant Solutions?

I noticed on my car that my drivers side window doesn't roll down quite as far as my passenger side. I can still see a good bit of the middle of the window when it's fully rolled down. I'm assuming this is not typical - is there an adjustment process or something else likely going on?

Are there any known problem areas with these cars which I should go take a look at? I do have the dash pulling problem in one spot to the right of the instrument panel. It's not too bad but mildly annoying.

I also need to touch up the paint in a few places. I have the Dr. Colorchip crap but I couldn't get it to work very well. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. I need to find the right color touch up paint for the car before giving it a go on this car.

Ryan
I've used the DrColorchip a number of times of times and it works fine. Perhaps it's how you are applying it and your expectations. Will it correct the chips/nicks to factory perfect? Nope.

Your major issue is the dash pulling. See the numerous very recent posts about this problem.

DrColorchip won't even warrant being a pimple on your butt after reading about that.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I just came off my 3 year extended.... Didn't come closer to recouping my outlay of cash. The first generation XK (07-09) is a pretty darn reliable platform overall. I think I saw about 2 grand of service in my 3 years.

Just food for thought.
BOL
Vince

Old 08-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Your A/C drainage issue can be something you might want to put some money away for if you don't get an extended warranty. Have you tried Easy Care?

Old 08-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Your A/C drainage issue can be something you might want to put some money away for if you don't get an extended warranty. Have you tried Easy Care?

Nope, I have not tried Easy Care yet. I'll get a quote from them as well.

Ryan

Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by TFlan
I've used the DrColorchip a number of times of times and it works fine. Perhaps it's how you are applying it and your expectations. Will it correct the chips/nicks to factory perfect? Nope.

Your major issue is the dash pulling. See the numerous very recent posts about this problem.

DrColorchip won't even warrant being a pimple on your butt after reading about that.
Is the general assumption that once it starts to pull it will spread throughout the dash? It's a very small spot right now.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,005 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
I just came off my 3 year extended.... Didn't come closer to recouping my outlay of cash. The first generation XK (07-09) is a pretty darn reliable platform overall. I think I saw about 2 grand of service in my 3 years.

Just food for thought.
BOL
Vince
I concur.
G.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName

Just food for thought.
BOL
Vince
I own a 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition. I considered the after market 3rd party warranty for 3 years and estimated cost of $3000. So far after 1 year of ownership, I have spent a total of $130.00, and that was for an oil & filter change and total XKR inspection by the service department at the Jaguar dealership.

I am not sure what the next 2 years will bring. So far I am ahead of the game of extended 3rd Party warranties. My XKR has 16,000 miles.

There are many opinions about 3rd party warranties that the dealers sell. Some good, some bad. Do your research.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I own a 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition. I considered the after market 3rd party warranty for 3 years and estimated cost of $3000. So far after 1 year of ownership, I have spent a total of $130.00, and that was for an oil & filter change and total XKR inspection by the service department at the Jaguar dealership.

I am not sure what the next 2 years will bring. So far I am ahead of the game of extended 3rd Party warranties. My XKR has 16,000 miles.

There are many opinions about 3rd party warranties that the dealers sell. Some good, some bad. Do your research.

Richzak. The edge you and I have with regards to repairs is low mileage. Grant it, things can go wrong with even a low mileage car, but it is less likely, especially if driven sparingly. I think after 8 months of ownership and 2200 miles driven, I'm starting to feel foolish after laying out a sizeable amount of money for my 6 year warranty and having nothing to repair.(That is to say, I still don't want to have any mechanical failure) Of course, the water pump is not an "if" but a "when" so I should see something for that. I've thought about cancelling my warranty, but that would mean "something extremely expensive could fail" and I would be banging my head against the wall. My local dealership has replaced five 5.0 engines.....that's scary enough for me to keep my warranty.

Last edited by bocatrip; 08-07-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Richzak. The edge you and I have with regards to repairs is low mileage. Grant it, things can go wrong with even a low mileage car, but it is less likely, especially if driven sparingly. I think after 8 months of ownership and 2200 miles driven, I'm starting to feel foolish after laying out a sizeable amount of money for my 6 year warranty and having nothing to repair. Of course, the water pump is not an "if" but a "when" so I should see something for that. I've thought about cancelling my warranty, but that would mean "something extremely expensive will fail" and I would be banging my head against the wall. My local dealership has replaced five 5.0 engines.....that's scary enough for me to keep my warranty.
Boca:

I totally understand. Hopefully you won't suffer a water pump problem.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I bought a warranty for my VDP and did not break even on repairs and was impressed with general reliability of the car so when I bought the XK, I did not bother with the warranty. So far, the warranty would've been a waste of money.

I darn near guarantee to you if you put 4K on a pre-paid Amex for break-fix repairs only, you'll have plenty of money left over at the end of 4 years.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:19 PM

Thanks everyone. I've decided to go sans contract.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I bought a warranty for my VDP and did not break even on repairs and was impressed with general reliability of the car so when I bought the XK, I did not bother with the warranty. So far, the warranty would've been a waste of money.

I darn near guarantee to you if you put 4K on a pre-paid Amex for break-fix repairs only, you'll have plenty of money left over at the end of 4 years.
Totally agree with Moses. Very reliable cars. Put the money into your savings account and you'll be golden.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaii
Totally agree with Moses. Very reliable cars. Put the money into your savings account and you'll be golden.
^^^^^This.

Although if you do go for the extended warranty, get one that covers the SC if your gonna roll out the dough. Mine does and I took it only because they allowed me to roll it into the financing so a few extra bucks and I have at least piece of mind for major repairs.