Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   New mystery noise - concern? Neeld Holmes advice. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/new-mystery-noise-concern-neeld-holmes-advice-189011/)

pk4144 09-11-2017 01:18 AM

New mystery noise - concern? Neeld Holmes advice.

So here's the deal:

- this is (i think) a transmission noise.
- I ONLY hear it starting, stopping, parking.
- ALWAYS at speeds below 10 MPH.
- I have a convertible, so when the top's down you hear a lot.

What I hear:
It is ALWAYS a single, clear, metallic hard CLICK.
When the top's down it sounds like it's coming from the center-right of the car.
SOMETIMES it happens simply by shifting into reverse from park when I start up.
More often, I hear it when, for example, I'm backing out, I know I'm clear, and I accelerate a little. CLICK.
Or when I go from reverse to drive - I move forward, and CLICK.
To be clear: it's kind of loud.
But.. it is not something I feel, at all. The car drives fine.
And it's always just one CLICK.

Thing is, I don't think I've heard it before. My questions are two:

- what is it?
and
- given that I can't feel it, and it only happens at garage speeds, do I ignore it?

The only cause fore concern is it seems to be happening more regularly.

Thanks as always...

Mandrake 09-11-2017 01:40 AM

Please do this:

Put it in reverse or drive and with a foot firmly on the brake, give it a little gas as if you were just pulling out of your garage or away from a stop sign. If it clicks, put it in the opposite gear and do it again. If this is repeatable under these situations, it could be anything from a CV joint in an axle to a u-joint in the drive shaft to a loose torque converter bolt, to indeed something in the transmission.

I know that doesn't help, but keep in mind that noises are impossible to diagnose online because without hearing it in person and then putting the car on a lift to poke around and knowing what to look for, the best answer is going to be a guess.

pk4144 09-11-2017 12:31 PM

Thanks, and you're right about noise issues. I'll try what you suggest but I'm pretty sure that will yield no click.

I can tell you that it's not that u-joint noise, which I'd describe as more of a "clunk" than a "click" if that helps.

Queen and Country 09-12-2017 04:03 PM

p.s.
Its likely related to the rearend installation where the driveshaft had to be Jimmied.

myexcursion 09-12-2017 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by pk4144 (Post 1757603)
So here's the deal:

- this is (i think) a transmission noise.
- I ONLY hear it starting, stopping, parking.
- ALWAYS at speeds below 10 MPH.
- I have a convertible, so when the top's down you hear a lot.

What I hear:
It is ALWAYS a single, clear, metallic hard CLICK.
When the top's down it sounds like it's coming from the center-right of the car.
SOMETIMES it happens simply by shifting into reverse from park when I start up.
More often, I hear it when, for example, I'm backing out, I know I'm clear, and I accelerate a little. CLICK.
Or when I go from reverse to drive - I move forward, and CLICK.
To be clear: it's kind of loud.
But.. it is not something I feel, at all. The car drives fine.
And it's always just one CLICK.

Thing is, I don't think I've heard it before. My questions are two:

- what is it?
and
- given that I can't feel it, and it only happens at garage speeds, do I ignore it?

The only cause fore concern is it seems to be happening more regularly.

Thanks as always...

I have the same exact noise , and yes I also have the vert which makes the sound more noticeable. I was cleaning the rims the other day and when polishing the nuts ( no comments please - lol ) it sounded almost exactly like the sound. It's like the click sound the 2 piece pug nut/covers make when you jiggle them. Hopefully someone on here has some other advise ... I tried holding the brake and accelerating , but ended up powerbraking instead :(

amcdonal86 09-12-2017 06:43 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...veshaft-94926/

I have the exact same noise. Check the third page of that thread complete with videos. If anyone could find out the source, I would love to know what it is. As it is, I've just been living with the sound for 4+ years, and I'm sort of getting depressed that the car has so many minor issues that will cost a lot of money to investigate.

Most annoyingly, mine will do it when I downshift aggressively with the paddle shifts and/or suddenly get off the gas when in manual mode, due to the sudden engine braking. Very irritating!

Mine also seems like it's coming from the right side of the car, somewhere in the middle (not necessarily at the rear end).

amcdonal86 09-12-2017 07:32 PM

Is this the noise?

pk4144 09-12-2017 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 1758625)
p.s.
Its likely related to the rearend installation where the driveshaft had to be Jimmied.

Yeah that's my concern, given that that was done in New York and both the car and I are back in LA.

amcdonal86 09-12-2017 07:42 PM

Could it be something like a lower control arm bolt that needs to be retorqued? I have hypothesized this but haven't had a chance to try tightening these bolts myself.

pk4144 09-12-2017 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86 (Post 1758735)

I don't think so-- unless that is happeneing when you shift. Are you shifting (P or Reverse or Drive) when that happens? Today, for example, I heard the click ONCE when starting the car and shifting into R. Other than that, nothing.

Queen and Country 09-13-2017 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by pk4144 (Post 1758740)
Yeah that's my concern, given that that was done in New York and both the car and I are back in LA.

Have a heart to heart with the mechanic at the dealership who worked on the car. You will have to work him, its against human nature to second guess ourselves. They may even pick up the bill from LA jag dealer to inspect your car. Tell him your pedestrian guess is the u joint in the axle (that's cheap repair- expensive if the axle falls) it will make him alert of the liability. Remind him you have full warranty.

Ranchero50 09-13-2017 04:24 PM

I'd suggest turning the HVAC off and seeing if it still does it. Completely oddball chance it's the AC compressor clutch but I doubt it.

amcdonal86 09-18-2017 11:38 AM

Please follow up when you find the solution! Those of us with this noise would love to hear what the cause was!

pk4144 09-19-2017 09:32 PM

I will, for sure.
Funny story: so I'm in for an oil change at the dealer, and I mention this. I'm sitting in the waiting room, and I hear my car start up (it's like how you recognize your own kid)... and then, the CLICK! I run out-- the car's already in the bay.
When I get it back, I ask. The mechanic took it for a spin, and "didn't hear anything."

amcdonal86 10-11-2017 12:16 PM

No update yet? Seems like a lot of people have the issue but nobody is willing to investigate (myself included)!

Swisstone 10-11-2017 01:15 PM

Mmmm interesting one. Good to hear the outcome for everyone else. I was going to ask if rear brake pads have been recently been changed after a recent experience with pads moving up and down in the carrier that makes a metallic type noise but sure it isn't that from the video.

pk4144 10-12-2017 09:06 PM

SEMI-UPDATE: my Jag dealer says to come back when the issue is more constant/noticible. I will bring it in soon, as it's getting worse. What I CAN tell you is that I now also hear it when accelerating at low speeds, and I THINK more when I'm turning but not sure.
It's still a single loud "click" that sounds, when my top is down, to be coming from the underside of the car, on the right-hand side. Which is noteworthy since I'm drivin on the left so I'm guessing that in the passenger seat it's really noticeable. It SOMETIMES occurs shifting into either drive or reverse from park-- and every now and then that shift into drive from park gets a REALLY loud click.
I say "click and not "clunk" because I had a u-joint loosen up on my old SL500 and that was definitely a lower, "clunk" sound. But this sounds mechanical, linkage?

amcdonal86 10-28-2017 07:06 AM

Here is a video I took yesterday. You can hear the loud click as I downshift into first coming to a stop.

amcdonal86 11-14-2017 09:10 PM

Still no diagnosis? Did anyone watch my video out of curiosity?

NBCat 11-14-2017 09:45 PM

Difficult to tell from the video. When time permits, I will drive my X150 and see if the same noise is present, although I don't recall hearing any 'clicking' during downshifting.