XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Newb 5.0 XKR questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newb 5.0 XKR questions

First post here. I don't have an XKR but I am looking for a sports/GT car and the 5.0 XKR is one of two candidates. The other is a Porsche 911, but lets not go there now... Some XKR questions:

1. I don't see many DIY posts for the 5.0 XKR, presumably because most are still under service warranty. Is the car DIY-suitable for maintenance items (oil, filters, plugs, brake pads)? I think the BMW E90s are easy to work on if that's a suitable benchmark. I buy my parts from Pelican but they don't do Jag. Is there a good North American online retailer or am I stuck with the dealer?

2. Is it possible to fit a single road bike inside an XKR without removing the rear tire? My bikes are 56 cm.

3. Any dog owners here? Is the rear seat sufficient for a 50lb dog for longish rides?

Thanks

Old 04-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Gooday. I cant comment about "1" because I dont work on my cars. For "2" - I'd say no. The hatch compartment is pretty useful, but that is like 3 cases of wine and one of beer with some room left over for snacks.
For "3" I'd say not for a long trip. I've got 2 X 10 kilo mutts and they fit in the back (mostly sit on the front seat). But it is cramped back there and the windows dont open in the coupe, I think you'd need a very patient dog to have it in there for a long ride.

But I would say this - the car is the same in the rear seat and bigger in the boot than the 911 (swap boot for bonnet).

Old 04-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

At least one guy on here took out the rear seats and converted it into a flat space - think that may have been for dog transport purposes.

Basic consumables are as easy to replace as in any modern car - i.e. a pain in the **** compared to simpler models in the good ol' days, but do-able. Brakes need a special tool, I believe, but plenty of Forum members do their own brakes.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

I work on my xkr and havent run into anything that has made me want to jump out a window. But I have been working on cars since I was 13

No disrespect on the Bike question, but you gotta be kiddin!!! I ride a Kestrel 53cm time trial carbon bike. I last rode it in the 1/2 iron man in oceanside. I am 5'10. How tall are you to ride a 56cm bike?

Even if you take off both wheels you still wont be able to fit it in the back of an xkr.

And for the dog, I think he will be uncomfortable in the back

Last edited by SoCal Babe; 04-25-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

The oil+filter change is mostly done by the dealer under warranty. But, it will be easy to change at home, as well. The cartridge type filter is located on top of the engine, you have to pop off the plastic engine cover. The dealer is using suction to pull the oil out but, according to the parts diagram, there is a drain plug on the oil pan. You have to remove the plastic rear skirt to access the oil pan. (4 nuts) I have not done it myself on my '10 XKR, did it plenty on my previous 4.2 XKs.

You can buy your parts online quite reasonably, just google them.

A 50 lbs dog should fit in the back seat as long as you put some padding there to even out the area. Bicycle, I doubt. You will have to get a trunk rack.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I own both a 5.0L XKR and a Porsche 911 (930 type). Back seat space is not materially different. I find I can lug around significantly more stuff in the back of the Jag than in the front of the Porsche, but a road bike in the back of either is unrealistic.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Forget the bike, there is no way it will fit.

Best place for the dog is the trunk. If you want a vehicle to transport animals, buy a truck.

An XKR is a premium automobile and not appropriate for animals.

We have a small dog, (15 lbs), and she is not allowed to even sit on my wife's lap in the XKR.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by richzak
Forget the bike, there is no way it will fit.

Best place for the dog is the trunk. If you want a vehicle to transport animals, buy a truck.

An XKR is a premium automobile and not appropriate for animals.

We have a small dog, (15 lbs), and she is not allowed to even sit on my wife's lap in the XKR.
Amen to everything you said!!!

I m still gagging over putting the bike in the car. WTF

Old 04-26-2014, 05:56 AM
Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Guess it depends on you and your dog, as well as what you consider a long drive.
We have a 60 lb. Boxer, so we got a couple of outdoor seat cushions from WalMart, to even out the seat and driveshaft hump, and a good pet car seat cover. Out dog is very happy in the seat even with the top down. Better than our old 911.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Bike won't fit and rear passenger space is similar as 911. Have a 52.5 cm Pegoretti and even just bare frame would not fit.

As for working on the car, everything is "exposed", so you should be good to go on that one. Oil on 5.0 is removed with a pump.

My 25 lb. Pembroke Welsh Corgi (see avatar) does not like the back seat at all.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the info.

Surprised about the reaction to putting a bike in the car. I'm an avid cyclist and one of my motoring uses for an XKR would be take the bike and me to the start of a cycling route. I'm not to keen about using a roof rack because how it ruins a car's lines. My friends with 911s remove the front and rear wheels and put the bare frame in the rear seats and the wheels in the bonnet. If the XKR rear seat is about the same size as a 911 then that should work.

I've been tinkering with cars for about 25 years but I've never done anything more complex than replacing a radiator and brake rotors. I'm comfortable mechanically but more than happy to let a real mechanic do the complex stuff. I just like doing the simple stuff and prefer if that option is available to me. In my BMW it takes me 2-3 hours to do the oil, change the filters and plugs. I'd be happy if an XKR were like that.

BTW a 56cm bike frame is not that big. I ride traditional geometry frames with the straight top tube, that's about a 53cm sized sloping top tube. I'm 6 feet.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Never tried placing the frame in the back seat. The wheels fit in the trunk (boot) just fine. The rear "seats" are really bucketed, so I wonder if that'll prevent the frame from fitting.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Have a 52.5 cm Pegoretti
That's a nice bike. I've got a Sachs and a Crumpton.

I saw a picture of a guy who fit his bike into a Cayman through the "hatch".

I do need some space for the pet. I don't want to have to choose between the dog and the wife. If a dog lies on the rear, through the front seats, does that screw up the selection knob?

I hope the dog/bike thing works. I don't want to have to buy an M5!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flat Earth
That's a nice bike. I've got a Sachs and a Crumpton.

I saw a picture of a guy who fit his bike into a Cayman through the "hatch".

I do need some space for the pet. I don't want to have to choose between the dog and the wife. If a dog lies on the rear, through the front seats, does that screw up the selection knob?

I hope the dog/bike thing works. I don't want to have to buy an M5!
Both nice bikes too. My Pegoretti has Campy Record 10 with Campy Zonda Two-way fit wheels and tubeless tires. Love the bike. Had a Fondriest Lampre I sold to make way for the Pegoretti. Pegoretti geometry is more suited to me. I like the shorter top tube old style frames that are rarer and rarer today.

How big is your dog? Our last Corgi (Camber) was fine in the back seat, but Lily doesn't like to settle into any car seat.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

With either the bike or the dog...there goes the leather! holes,punctures and scrapes.non repairable but replaceable when you sell.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by beh2010
With either the bike or the dog...there goes the leather! holes,punctures and scrapes.non repairable but replaceable when you sell.
I've never had a scrape on the leather from our dogs in the car or in our living room. I use to keep my Merckx in the back of my Alfa GTV6 and an grease could be wiped off easily should it ever make a mark.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Just have a hitch put below rear bumper and have one of the "plugin" bike racks for days that you want to ride. (My father-in-law manufactures the best one). Then pull it off for everyday.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:22 PM

My dog is a woodle (Poodle Wheaton Terrie mix). She's about 40lbs now. We haven't had any problem with her scratching the leather in either the BMW or Volvo.

For bikes, the Sachs has Campy alloy 10 and the Crumpton has Campy 11. I love both bikes. I've heard of people putting their bikes in a bike bag so that they don;t grease up a car interior.

I'm not too worried about either the dog or the bike hurting the interior. I generally keep cars for 8-10 years and will put at least 150K km on them. By that time, a less than pristine interior is hardly going to affect resale price.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

If you really must travel in a Jag with pets and a bike then see if you can get a Sportbrake imported into the states. Now that would be a rare ride in this country!!

Mike

Old 04-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat Earth
My dog is a woodle

Don't look it up on Urban Dictionary.

Quick Reply: Newb 5.0 XKR questions