XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Overreacting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Overreacting?

I bought a 2007 XKR from a local hi-line shop about a year and a half ago, had 65,000 miles on the clock and it seemed to be in great order. Seemed to have been serviced by a Jag dealer. I've since put 15,000 miles on it (now at 80k) and roughly $3k in miscellaneous repairs. I broke the ridiculous radio antennae off not long after I got it. Then had a tranny pan leak/replacement. Then diff seals. Then a short on the main fuse block causing vert top to fail (simple rerewire). Next trip in was a short at tail light (another simple rewire). All this has added up and hasn't exactly been convenient.

But this trip into my independent dealer dealer has been different. Took it in for pulsing front brakes, and asked them to check steering fluid while they had it because just started to notice a bit of jitter at very slow speeds. Now, along with front brake job, apparently the rack and pinion is bad and front control control arms need to be replaced ($6100 quote).

I absolutely loved this car a year ago. She is one of the most beautiful cars on the road and makes me giggle every time I drop the top and press the right peddle. I really like my Indy shop and feel they've been honest and fair. But almost $10K in repairs on a $30K car in a year in a half just cannot continue for me.

Question: Have I just been unlucky? Am I overreacting, with thoughts of letting my beauty go to be driven by someone else? Or at her age and mileage, is this just the expected cost of enjoyment? I'm "heartbroken" and can't for the life of me think of what I will replace her with. Looking for some rational thought from others. 😥

Old 08-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

One can be trustworthy and still be incompetent.

Its a $1500 repair. Whats clear reading between the lines is that several of these guys are taking advantage of your malfunctioning trust filter

Old 08-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Was told rack and pinion was $3100 USD for parts after multiple sourcing attempts. $1500 for the job (parts and labor) including R&P and control arms? I guess I should get a dealer quote and another shop for reference but $1500 seems unrealistic to me. I mean, I was shocked at $6100, but $1500?

The other point is that if I can expect a visit to a shop every other month, that isn't going to work for me either.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

It all comes back to how trusting you were...

The XKR is rock solid well into 200,000 miles. And one of the lowest cost to own. In that there isnt much that needs maintenance and the parts are not expensive. The control arms as example are $150 for the parts.

But all that is predicated on how well it was maintained during its early years.
I am rightfully dubious of the slick used car salesman who sold you a car with 65k miles, for $30k no less. Was it a one owner car? Did you see if there was a Jaguar service history (while not necessary it will help answer the question as to what type of a person owned it and what you should expect going forward)

The following users liked this post:
guy (09-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

The transmission pan repair is $250 for the parts and $100 for the labor. You will see some other members here confirm that. And thats with full fluid change.

The rotors cost $100 each. I think a honest mech would charge $150-200 on the labor

Old 08-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I would get a 2nd opinion. I think I got hosed at a independent for some work. After making a few calls after I got it fixed 2 other shops came up with a estimate that was 1/2 what I paid.

Ben Sawyer (09-05-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The transmission pan repair is $250 for the parts and $100 for the labor. You will see some other members here confirm that. And thats with full fluid change.

The rotors cost $100 each. I think a honest mech would charge $150-200 on the labor
I have done that transmission service on two Jags and it cost me just under $500 all in. It's more than an hour's labor. Can't the bushing be replaced in the control arm instead?

Can someone recommend a good indy repair shop near Ben Sawyer's locale?

Ben Sawyer (09-05-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

First I have to ask why they think the steering rack is bad? I have had six eight cylinder Jags and never had to replace a rack. (I had three XJSs that ALL needed new racks, but that is an expected problem with those cars.) Reading through the forums I can't remember seeing anyone else needing a new rack.

Assuming it really needs a new rack you can find rebuilt ones for $200. Jaguar XK, XJ Complete Power Steering Rack and Pinion Assembly | eBay

If you insist on a new Jaguar part, $3100 does not surprise me. Remember that "new" part is really NOS (New, Old Stock) made ten years ago. The rubber seals have been drying out for the last ten years in a warehouse somewhere.

I have never changed one on an XK, but can't believe it is any worse than an XJS, which I have done myself. Six hours, including beer and bathroom breaks. I am a retired engineer, not a mechanic.

Bottom line, a ten year old car with 80,000 miles will need some maintenance. IMHO in order to economically own these cars you need to be able to at least diagnose the problems and source parts yourself so that you can intelligently discus them with a mechanic. If you don't want to do that then they can become prohibitively expensive to drive. If you like doing that they are a bargain! I don't think you can get a base Honda Accord for what you paid for your car.

The following 2 users liked this post by davchr:
Ben Sawyer (09-05-2017), winstonsalemncxk (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

Ben,

Hi from Winston-Salem! I can't speak for the rest of your repairs but when dealing with the suspension components, you can find quality parts by ordering the parts from Motorcraft/Ford. As another forum member pointed out, the upper control arms are manufactured in England and stamped "Jaguar" but available for $130-150 apiece rather than the $450-600+. Here's a link to that forum thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-arms-187168/
I just ordered my upper control arms at the much lower price, sold as Motorcraft/Ford but marked/stamped Jaguar. The OP of that thread has confirmed the parts are identical. Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by winstonsalemncxk:
Ben Sawyer (09-05-2017), robtroxel (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Ben, I think you're way to trusting of your mechanic. A slight judder at slow speeds could be as simple as a belt. It doesn't translate to a defective steering rack. That's a huge leap.

What's wrong with the control arms? Are the bushings the problem or the ball joint?
Bushings can be replaced? How did they demonstrate these things to be defective?

Consider a second and third opinion.

Ben Sawyer (09-05-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

Other users have found it more economical to replace the entire front upper arms with the part #'s MCS0E38 and MCS0E39 rather than having a shop repair the joints/bushings. The parts can be found online for around $130-150 each.
Ben, if you are searching for a second opinion, I can highly recommend HBI Auto in Mocksville, NC. They've been wonderful for servicing my XK. Very detailed and honest people, and real car enthusiasts. I second David's comments that researching/sourcing parts can end up saving quite a bit of cash.

Ben Sawyer (09-05-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Davchr hit it on the head.

To which I would only add that when you drive any $100k luxury car, you are seen as a godsend cashcow. You have to be extra savvy or a cashcow.
That is the admission price of that privilege.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
davchr (08-11-2017), winstonsalemncxk (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

XK's are somewhat notorious for steering wheel shudder at very low speeds and RPM thanks to the tires big contact patch and low performance from the pump at idle. Smeel and look at the PS fluid. If it's burnt smelling or brown / metallic in color you have problems. If not at worst I'd change the fluid a couple times to get as much old out as possible.

Per the arms, make them show you what's wrong. I'm amazed at how many folks go into repair shops and blindly follow their advice. Ask them what the tolerance is and make them show you in the Alldata program or service manual. A lot of stuff is subjective and it sounds like they have a solution that's looking for a problem.

Brakes are pretty simple as well. I pulled mine apart yesterday for paint and they're really easy to work on. Plus realize that the XK shares the same suspension as the S type, XJ, Lincoln LS and Ford T bird.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
Ben Sawyer (09-05-2017), davchr (08-11-2017), robtroxel (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

The shuddering is a well reported issue and doesn't cause any real problem. I have had it on my 2010 since I got it. Originally changed power steering fluid and flushed and it did help. It is now happening again after about 70,000 miles since the first change, and next week will flush again. Unless you see fluid gushing out or can't turn the steering wheel, don't get sucked into a $3000 steering rack change.

Ben Sawyer (09-05-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

The shuddering is normal in warmer weather. My XJ8 also did the same thing, perhaps even worse.

Ben Sawyer (09-05-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Sawyer
Question: Have I just been unlucky? Am I overreacting, with thoughts of letting my beauty go to be driven by someone else? Or at her age and mileage, is this just the expected cost of enjoyment? I'm "heartbroken" and can't for the life of me think of what I will replace her with. Looking for some rational thought from others. 😥
The car is 10 years old with 80,000 miles. Going to need TLC occasionally. You must find a new mechanic. Go out and look at it in your driveway. It's a beauty... fix it! Keep it!

Old 08-12-2017, 07:31 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

In addition to the great advice above, consider replacing the front rotors and pads, (Rears if they need it too) then see what the car does.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Hello Ben:

There are several good posts here for the acquisition of parts for your car at greatly reduced costs. Take advantage of the information and suggestions.

Since you're in the Mid-Atlantic states and a large city like WS-NC, do some research to see if you have any British Car clubs in your immediate area. In most of these clubs, the clubs use a master mechanic that could be a referral to you. In most cases these British Car mechanic's work for lower wages in the $35 to $40 per hour range.

In our Brit Car club, we have a top notch member (Master Mechanic) who works exclusively on Brit Cars. I had our master mechanic complete a full brake fluid change for $40.00 plus the Pentosin Dot 4 Brake Fluid which I supplied via Amazon.

As stated, if you can source your own parts that is a huge monetary advantage. Then again, if you are not mechanically inclined and have to depend on advice from a repair shop, expect to get a few other opinions and most likely expect to get taken on the price. Once you pull into any shop with a Jaguar, these guys think you're a rich cat and have money to spend.

I would research the idea of British Car clubs for a referral to an independent mechanic that is well known to the Brit Car owners. They are out there to be found.

The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
Ben Sawyer (09-05-2017), winstonsalemncxk (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Please post detailed estimate, the way you describe it, it is about 3x as high. However, the devil is in details.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Davchr hit it on the head.

To which I would only add that when you drive any $100k luxury car, you are seen as a godsend cashcow. You have to be extra savvy or a cashcow.
That is the admission price of that privilege.
This. I have multiple cars in my stable, oldest one is 40 years old. They all are in 100K+ range when they were new. You have to be on top of it, or you will get overcharged. Being on top involves knowing how much parts cost, knowing approximately how much repairs should take, and knowing when mechanic is BSing you.

TL;DR To drive old top-shelf cars you need to have deep pockets or deep knowledge.