Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Paint chips around doors - 2007 XK (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/paint-chips-around-doors-2007-xk-50560/)

WldCat 02-27-2011 11:17 AM

Paint chips around doors - 2007 XK

I'm bringing this over from the detailing/car care discussion board because I'd like to find out how many of you with 2007+ XK/XKR's might have this same condition.

Recently I noticed that there are tiny paint chips around both doors. Photos of the chipping can be found here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...43&postcount=9

I saw the same chips around a gold 2007 XK convertible that was for sale at my local dealership recently.

My service representative told me she has seen the same chipping around other newer XK's.

When you have a moment, would you please let me know if your car has a similar condition, and the model year and your general location? (midwest, east coast, etc.) If it turns out that this is a common problem, I would like to try to persuade Jaguar to offer a free repaint to those of us with affected vehicles.

Thanks for your input!

Stillwaters 02-28-2011 08:06 AM

2008 XK Convertible

I have had a few issues with my 2008 XK, but so far, no chipping around the doors, sorry..:icon_no:

Nevette 02-28-2011 11:35 AM

Diane,
I just checked my 07 XKR and did not find any chips around the doors or rocker panel. I have found that the paint on the Jaguar to be high quality compared to the my C-5 Vette. Maybe it has to due with the light color? Sorry :icon_no:.

Best of luck to you.

GhostriderXKR08 02-28-2011 11:58 AM

I don't think I have it either as I would have noticed it......as I usually wash my car once a week over the summer.......but will check when I get the car back from the shop.

davies 03-02-2011 03:09 PM

I have had my January '07 since new. I have done 80,000+ klms no chips. While it is hard to see in the photos I would suggest you ask about having the doors realigned. It seems to me that the door and the edge that is being chipped is not flush and this is why it is chipping.

ddsski 03-09-2011 02:14 PM

Looks to me like something happening upon entry or egress. Say buttons or snaps hitting this edge routinely. Watch your movements as you enter or exit. How about a hand with rings holding the spot when exiting? Something like that. Doesn't appear to be road rash! as that pattern would be more consistent. Purse, briefcase buckle etc???

AirCav 03-09-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by WldCat (Post 312255)
I'm bringing this over from the detailing/car care discussion board because I'd like to find out how many of you with 2007+ XK/XKR's might have this same condition.

Recently I noticed that there are tiny paint chips around both doors. Photos of the chipping can be found here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...43&postcount=9

I saw the same chips around a gold 2007 XK convertible that was for sale at my local dealership recently.

My service representative told me she has seen the same chipping around other newer XK's.

When you have a moment, would you please let me know if your car has a similar condition, and the model year and your general location? (midwest, east coast, etc.) If it turns out that this is a common problem, I would like to try to persuade Jaguar to offer a free repaint to those of us with affected vehicles.

Thanks for your input!

Fortunately for me, my '08 has not experienced that paint issue. (yet)

It has spent most of its life in Houston and has only been in Tennessee a few months.

davies 03-10-2011 02:17 AM

Paint Chips

I think you will be hard pressed to get Jaguar to look at a paint repair on the basis that the paint is chipping. Jaguars paint quality is great. There needs to be a reason the paint is chipping. Have a Body repair guy look at the alignment of the panels and the alignment of the door in relation to the panel. If there is a problem with this alignment then my pick is that you will have a better chance at getting Jag to pick up the re-paint tab if the car has been assembled incorrectly.

Stillwaters 03-11-2011 05:51 AM

Egress

I agree you probably have a ingress/egress problem. When I bought my 2008 XK a couple of months ago, the weather stripping around the drivers door had large junks broken off. I finally figured out that the previous owner must have been stepping on it as he got in and out of the car. I showed the problem to the Jaguar Service Manager and he replaced the weather stripping free under the warranty. (Pleasant surprise):icon_playing:

WldCat 03-11-2011 07:47 AM

Not an issue with getting in/out. That might make some sense if the chipping was primarily on the driver's side, but clearly this problem is on BOTH sides. Plus, I saw a second 2007 XK convertible with the same condition in the showroom at my dealership. Jaguar corporate contacted my dealership and I'm bring the car in later this morning for the service manager to inspect. If it is determined that the doors are out of alignment and the chipping is a direct result, I guarantee that I will press Jaguar to repaint those body panels at no charge. All I can do is try!

WldCat 03-11-2011 02:03 PM

UPDATE:

I took the car to the dealership as requested. The service manager calmly and quietly inspected the paint chips around both doors. He said if he did some research about when/where my car had been built/painted, he believed that he would find out that there were similar cars with the same condition. He asked to keep the car for a few days so their body shop can inspect and possibly realign both doors, and repaint the panels. The paint is covered under warranty.

That's what I get for asking!

AirCav 03-11-2011 06:12 PM

Excellent!

That's the "Jaguar Experience" we're all hoping for!

(Well, unless we could have it not chip in the first place :icon_wink:)

davies 03-13-2011 03:27 PM

I am glad I convinced you to ask about the door alignment. Glad it worked out for you and you got your paint back to pristine! Kev...