Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Pantry remodel = Key Question (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/pantry-remodel-%3D-key-question-147968/)

Ceckman 08-12-2015 09:54 AM

Pantry remodel = Key Question

How does a pantry remodel in our kitchen translate to a Jaguar forum question? First off - who knew that one could spend thousands (and I mean that seriously) on creating a magazine worthy pantry - but take it from me - it can be done. As we approach completion, the "keeper of the pantry" has announced that car key fobs are no longer a part of the the design ethos. I have been given a couple options - which locate the key fobs (Jaguar being one) very close to the garage. The adjacent laundry room actually. Does anyone know if this proximity (approximately 12 feet from the vehicle) creates yet another drain on the battery / systems that should be avoided? What is the best distance to store a key fob to avoid an issue?

Cee Jay 08-12-2015 11:56 AM

"Remove dress, install pants". Or, use that cheap lead/babbitt tape and line whatever cabinet you choose. Me, I'd go for the PANTS option.

Ceckman 08-12-2015 12:48 PM

Message delivered!

But "she's worth it".

Stuart S 08-12-2015 02:59 PM

I keep my XKR keys in my laundry room, which is off my breakfast room and is around 12 feet from where my car is parked in the garage. I've never had any problems, but I always keep the XKR locked and on a battery maintainer; that may be why there haven't been any problems.

If you have any doubts, store your keys in a small steel box to block the transmitter.

jimbov8 08-12-2015 03:12 PM

Put your fob in your pocket, lock the car, stand 6 feet away and get someone to try and open it. If it stays locked then you are ok, there will be no drain on the battery.

Or failing that, grow a pair and tell her the keys are staying put.:icon_wink:

1 of 19 08-12-2015 04:27 PM

ok guys... Ceckman is asking a legitimate question and just needs an answer. As Stuart S. indicated I also do the same. Always locked, always plugged in, never an issue... ever. And as jimbov 8 indicates stand 6 feet away and see if it unlocks. I know what you mean when you find one that's worth it... going on 34 years now 39 overall. I smile when your told to grow a set but I have to wonder if those giving that advice are still married, still on marriage number 1, or ever married. Ok not trying to start anything off the original topic. I'm just sittin here in the pickers reading the post and smiling from ear to ear.

ralphwg 08-12-2015 05:38 PM

I keep my key fob on top of the microwave in the kitchen about 9-10 feet from the car with a fire door in between with no issues. The car is hooked up to a C-tek every night.

u102768 08-12-2015 07:26 PM

Start the car and then give someone the key to go and put it in the laundry. If you get a message on the dashboard that the key is not present, the car can no longer see it.

Once the car has been switched off I don't think it will try and find the key again anyway unless someone tries to lock, unlock or start the car.

RedRider48 08-12-2015 09:13 PM

I keep all of my keys, in a metal key storage box, that is a car space away from Miss Kitty. So far, no problems with battery drain, if the key fob can be a drain. But, I do keep her tethered to a Ctek when napping.

BruceTheQuail 08-12-2015 10:36 PM

Actually wanting to have a sex life, I don't order my wife around and when she has a request I tend to follow it. Minor inconveniences have to be weighed against the prospect of an extended dry run, and I've yet to see anything which has tipped the scales in favour of the latter.

Luckily the key question hasn't come up, but my keys are kept within about 15 foot of the car, I never have it connected to a charger or a maintainer, and I've never had a problem.

And that has been the case with 3 Jags since 2008.

RedRider48 08-13-2015 07:57 AM

Well, this begs a repeat of "Happy Wife, Happy Life"!

ndy.boyd 08-13-2015 10:39 AM

I sleep with my keys and keep my wife in the laundry room.

RedRider48 08-13-2015 10:43 AM

Youse guys are just giddy now. Go take a ride in your kitty.....

bigdhenderson 08-13-2015 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 1285592)
I keep my XKR keys in my laundry room, which is off my breakfast room and is around 12 feet from where my car is parked in the garage.

You have a separate room just for breakfast?

Stuart S 08-14-2015 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson (Post 1286232)

Yes, but we also use it for afternoon tea and crumpets.:icon_naughty:

Cee Jay 08-14-2015 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson (Post 1286232)

???? Doesn't everyone???

Stuart S 08-14-2015 06:19 PM

Did You Get It?

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 1286542)
Yes, but we also use it for afternoon tea and crumpets.:icon_naughty:

It looks like my attempt at slightly off kilter "dry British" humor involving tea and crumpets went over everyone's head. Since no one got the joke, ...

Urban Dictionary: Tea and Crumpets

WARNING: Don't open the above link if you are easily offended by certain "adult" words and descriptions in the Urban Dictionary.

If you thought this was funny, please press https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...ost_thanks.gif at the bottom right.

Stuart