XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Popping noise under driver seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Popping noise in frame

Sometimes when I turn right into a parking lot and go up the ramp that is at a right angle to the street to get to curb level I hear a popping noise underneath the center of the car. Kind of like the frame is contorting or something like that. The pophappens when I am in the middle of the turn (e.g., front wheels on the ramp and back wheels on street). It doesn't happen all the time. Might depend on how cold it is outside...not sure.

Any thoughts? Is this normal and is there anything down there that should be lubed to reduce/eliminate the problem?

Thx!

Last edited by jimatvs; 02-16-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: changed title
Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow, I get the same sound when I pull into the parking lot at work and start backing the XK into my parking spot. For me, it is almost a "thunk" sound. Doesn't happen evey time, but happens often enough. I was fearing maybe a lose motor or transmision mount, but I just don't think so...

A unsettling mystery to be sure, but i am now somewhat reassured that my XK is not the only one...

Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
Wow, I get the same sound when I pull into the parking lot at work and start backing the XK into my parking spot. For me, it is almost a "thunk" sound. Doesn't happen evey time, but happens often enough. I was fearing maybe a lose motor or transmision mount, but I just don't think so...

A unsettling mystery to be sure, but i am now somewhat reassured that my XK is not the only one...
Crazy. I have that exact same thing happen to my '07 XK Coupe. Almost every time I pull up and then back into my garage I hear that pop when I touch my brakes going in reverse. I think it may be something binding in the caliper or a bad pad. Sometimes it sounds like it is right under me, but it only happens when I touch the brakes.

Should this be a concern? It is the only thing about the car that doesn't make sense to me.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I had this happen to me when I had my 02 XKR. The pop happened when i would turn to the right, go over a bump, and sometimes when I would change direction.

I finally got tired of it and took my car to the guy I trust to work on my Jags - he has a lot of experience with these cars.

He went straight to the nuts on the struts. (sounds a little weird but true ) under the hood. I told him I checked those and they were tight. Well, turns out they have to be tighter (specific torque) or they will "move" which will cause the popping sound. And the sound also "sounded like" it was under my car when happened too.

He tightened the bolts first on the driver side and the popping stopped. The passenger side nuts were torqued properly...

The following 2 users liked this post by rscultho:
ironfreak7 (02-17-2012), plums (02-24-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
I had this happen to me when I had my 02 XKR. The pop happened when i would turn to the right, go over a bump, and sometimes when I would change direction.

I finally got tired of it and took my car to the guy I trust to work on my Jags - he has a lot of experience with these cars.

He went straight to the nuts on the struts. (sounds a little weird but true ) under the hood. I told him I checked those and they were tight. Well, turns out they have to be tighter (specific torque) or they will "move" which will cause the popping sound. And the sound also "sounded like" it was under my car when happened too.

He tightened the bolts first on the driver side and the popping stopped. The passenger side nuts were torqued properly...
That sounds like a closer fit to the problem on my XK. Sometimes when I go over speed humps (and I go over them very slowly to avoid that noise, now that I think about it) I hear a popping noise, as well. This would make sense that the bolts may be allowing the top of the strut to shift in the mounting holes. I will check that out.

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2012, 03:53 PM

thx for the tip! I'm taking my car in tomorrow for something else, so I'll mention it to them. I'll post how it turns out.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jimatvs
thx for the tip! I'm taking my car in tomorrow for something else, so I'll mention it to them. I'll post how it turns out.
I have been wondering if anyone on this thread ever brought their XK down to the dealer for this issue and if the dealer indeed confirmed the problem was based on loose struts..

Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
I have been wondering if anyone on this thread ever brought their XK down to the dealer for this issue and if the dealer indeed confirmed the problem was based on loose struts..
The problem that was described sounded very familiar to my problem at the time, but the problem they're experiencing may be something else.

The only time I go to the dealer for anything is if that is the only place I can get the "anything" done. I'll add that in my experience my guy in Tucker, GA, has fixed things the dealer had no clue about.

For anyone that lives on the east side of Atlanta, Jaguar-Cadillac of Northlake is an outstanding place to take your Jag. They are extremely knowledgeable about Jags (and other expensive cars).

Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

So, the pop from turning right going over a bump was related to the left shock top mounting?

Thanks, because it happens *every* time on my XJR turning hard right into a specific parking lot entrance just as the right wheel passes over the curb and onto the driveway slope.

I'll need to check the previous service record to see which side the ball joint was replaced on ... twice.

BTW, going over speed bumps where both wheels hit at the same time is no problem, cheating on speed bumps with the right wheel almost skimming the curb to stay on the flat is also not a problem.

Last edited by plums; 02-24-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Torque

Does anyone know wht the specific torgue is for the strut nuts on the 2007+ XK/XKR?

TIA

Old 02-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
[bold]So, the pop from turning right going over a bump was related to the left shock top mounting?[/bold]

Thanks, because it happens *every* time on my XJR turning hard right into a specific parking lot entrance just as the right wheel passes over the curb and onto the driveway slope.

I'll need to check the previous service record to see which side the ball joint was replaced on ... twice.

BTW, going over speed bumps where both wheels hit at the same time is no problem, cheating on speed bumps with the right wheel almost skimming the curb to stay on the flat is also not a problem.
That was the problem I had on that car. Maybe it was the torsional stress put on the body when turning to the right? A slight twist? Don't know...but tightening those nuts fixed that particular problem.

The following users liked this post:
plums (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

That was the problem I had on that car. Maybe it was the torsional stress put on the body when turning to the right? A slight twist? Don't know...but tightening those nuts fixed that particular problem.
Well, after looking at JTIS, the shock is mounted slightly differently on a X308 than a XK.

But, 9/10 of the shock mount plate bolts and 3/4 of the mount plate bolts below them were only "firm" last night. Not falling off, and more than "snug", but definitely not as "tight" as you would expect a suspension bolt to be.

After tightening them, driving the car seems quieter today. The acid test of course is to go back to that one specific parking lot entrance and give it a go without creeping over the curb.

Then it would be time to get the wrenches out and go over every single fastener in the suspension.

Sometimes being rust free is not as good as having some rust to hold everything tight

Old 02-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member

Post as soon after the test as you possibly can!!!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
Does anyone know wht the specific torgue is for the strut nuts on the 2007+ XK/XKR?

TIA
20 ft/lbs

Vince

The following users liked this post:
Mike V (02-29-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Post as soon after the test as you possibly can!!!!!
After two tightenings, and two trips to the particular parking lot, it *seems* that the crunching is greatly reduced. But, each time there was a car in front, so the speed was kept down.

The chief passenger noted on the first tightening and before hitting the parking lot, that to her, the car seemed much quieter.

The remaining crunch/bang seems to sound exactly like other loose swaybars, so that will be checked next.

Looking at the system, the top bolts would only affect the shock mounting. But, the bottom bolts are part of the cross beam retention. This is notable because the steering *seems* a bit tighter.

There are no specs for those top bolts. But, standard industrial fastener torque charts for 8mm 8.8 rated metric fasteners call for 220 inch pounds. The fasteners for the cross beam on a X308 call for 20NM. The crossbeam on a X308 is not the same as it is stamped steel.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 AM

Sorry I've been offline for a while....got the car back from the dealer and they said they couldn't reproduce the problem in the shop. Before I dropped the dealer off for some other work, I drove in and out of every parking lot near the dealer and couldn't reproduce it myself...so I didn't expect much. They said they checked the "nuts on the struts" (as another poster called them) and they were fine.

If I can find a lot by the dealer that does it, I'll take it back in.