Sponsored by: DashLynx

A question of taste – rim colors on silver cat

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default A question of taste – rim colors on silver cat

So I am seeking advice on rim colors…
Long story short, I have two rims going in for repair…. Thinking I might change it up a bit by changing colors. (Cost of new rims is not in my budget)
I would appreciate feed back and comments.

My OEM Jag

Fellow member Rahtok led me to look at dark bronze, which I had not though of…yet really like now that I see them.

I had thought of going with something called “Shadow Chrome” which is a rim painted black then the face painted in silver for a depth effect. (the Carelia's have very little depth in OEM paint) - See BMW rims below

Also gunmetal (very much like Shadow chrome, but constant color throughout).

Finally, I was wondering about a base gunmetal and have the face cut back to aluminum and then clear-coated.

So of the 4 which do you think works and which would you hate to see?
Do you have other ideas?

My eye for color coordination is well below the sub-standard mark and I would prefer a little input before making my choice...

Thanks gang!

Attached Thumbnails -9235675750_625fae5f17.jpg   -bronze_rim.jpg   -shadow_chrome.jpg   -silver_gunmetal_01.jpg   -bronze.jpg  

-gunmetal.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I will suggest the following for a new set, custom milled to exact specs for your Jaguar.

If using 19" wheels cost would be about $1200 for a complete set. 20" would cost about $1400 for a complete set.

I have the Hypersilver w/ Machined Accent on my 2009 Jaguar XKR 20" wheels.

These are also available in Gunmetal finish.

Braelin BR02 Gunmetal finish....

I have a personal contact with 1010tires if you have an interest that will provide superior service to you.

I get so many positive comments on these wheels. They are aluminum monoblock wheels that are custom milled to your specs.

Here's my story on these wheels:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...-brand-112076/

I am available to answer any questions.

Attached Thumbnails -braelin-br02-matte-gunmetal.jpg   -braelin-br02-gunmetal-lambo-gallardo.jpg   -braelin-br02-gunmetal-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
CleverName (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
I will suggest the following for a new set, custom milled to exact specs for your Jaguar.
Interesting... I do like, and worthy of considering. (too bad they dont show weight, nor do I see staggered sizing) Also $400+ out of my budget which isn't too bad.

Gunmetal or Hyper Silver on a silver car?

Old 05-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Interesting... I do like, and worthy of considering. (too bad they dont show weight, nor do I see staggered sizing) Also $400+ out of my budget which isn't too bad.

Gunmetal or Hyper Silver on a silver car?
Does that include your mounting and balancing costs? That is a pretty sharp wheel design; easier to clean. Will Jaguar center caps fit?

How about a two tone design on your current wheels?

The standard color wheel looks pretty good. Unless you went with polished and clear-coated; I don't see one color or another as advantage. Silver looks more organic to that car.

CleverName (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Does that include your mounting and balancing costs? ... Will Jaguar center caps fit?....
No to both.
Mount and balance are additional.
OEM Jaguar center caps don't fit; that's why I decided to not buy them even though I like the design and the price was right.

CleverName (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

CleverName,
I vote for the shadow chrome on the BMW wheels. There is a richness and depth of color that the flat gunmetal and the others don't have. Having just picked up a silver coupe myself and needing to refinish the 20" Kalimnos that are on the car, I am toying with repainting in the hyper silver with the back rim of the wheel painted red, so you just get a hint of the color poking through. I may try one with red plastidip just to see if I like it. If not, I'll peel it off.

Last edited by tberg; 05-27-2014 at 05:50 PM.
CleverName (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. Good feedback so far.
I am leaning to the shadow chrome effect, but the carelia's have so much "spoke face" that depth would be hard to achieve with the smaller gaps.... I just worry that it would not be as nice as I have seen on more open spoke wheels...

The Braelin rims interest me... but no staggered would be uncool.... Would also prefer Jag center caps, but the repair and painting of my rims will total $800. $1200 does not seem that difficult a leap, and it sounds like I can request the center bore and cap opening to fit our logo? I bet when all is said and done I'm still over $1500 before mounting. Might talk to 1010 just to get a better idea...

I'd like to hear more from folks.... lean on way or another will just help me feel I'm looking in the right direction.

peace!
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 05-27-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

Clevername:

Reference the Braelin wheels.....I was the one who originally spoke and got Fastco.ca to make the wheels for me, so I know the most about these wheels, and the vendor. A few other Jaguar owners have ordered these wheels and love the end result of the wheel and the service they have received. I fully endorse Fastco.ca for the excellent work and service that they have provided me personally.

Yes, you can get a staggered fit. Mine are 20" x 8.5" and 20" x 10" rear.

They are available in 2 finishes....Hypersilver w/ Machined Accent and Gunmetal....you can see what the Hypersilver looks like on a Shadow Gray colored Jaguar XKR in my signature below. The photos have the Braelin BR02 wheels mounted on them.

When I ordered my wheels I did not request that the outside centerbore be drilled to the 58MM/2.25" to accept the OEM Jaguar center cap. I am sure that you can speak directly with Fastco.ca and Ian Pavelko who is the Director of Product Development to get information on the center cap.

Also, Ian can provide the exact weight of each sized wheel. These wheels are NOT heavy.

As for the mounting, no set of new wheels will include mounting and balancing when bought from a distributor like 1010, unless the vendor does mounting and balancing. I paid $64.00 to have my entire set of the 4 wheels mounted and balanced at a national tire chain called Discount Tire. They are located across the country. This price included taking off the old wheels and tires and mounting my tires that had about 400 miles on them on the new Braelin rims. I also choose to buy my own new TPMS and mounted them myself before taking the wheels for mounting to Discoumt Tire. Cost of the set of 4 TPMS was $184.00 from vendor OE Wheels.

The wheels are milled in Canada and then shipped to 1010tire and sent from 1010 via UPS to the USA. I have a personal contact with 1010 located in Toronto, Canada thus by passing Vancouver Canada operations. Factco.ca does not sell wheels direct to the end consumer, they use 1010 as one of their largest distributors of their products.

Cost for the 19" is lower than the 20" wheel. Also there is an advantage to buying in Canada as the USA dollar is stronger than the Canadian Dollar. As of tonight there is 9% savings from the USA to Canada. $1.00 USD = $1.09 Canadian Dollar. The US dollar has buying power in Canada.

As for another poster here, he did not buy the wheels because he told me flat out they did not "pop" on the car, and he did not like the finish. He is the only person that told me he did not like the wheels. He stated he would stay with his Selena wheels on his 2009 Jaguar XKR PE. Not because of no staggered set, finish, or centercap fitment, as implied.

If you have an interest in the Braelins don't waste your time speaking to anyone else other than the company that will mill the wheels for you using their Mazak Milling machine and that is Ian Pavelko at Fastco.ca located in Montreal, Canada. Once again Ian is the Director of Product Development at Fastco.ca. Fastco.ca is the largest manufacturer of wheels in Canada and are top notch. It is very rare that you will be able to work with such a large company and get personal service that Fastco.ca has provided myself and 2 other Jaguar owners of this forum.

I am making this post somewhat detailed as I want to make sure that you have the FACTS straight involving these wheels. My dialogue with Fastco was quite lengthy over several months working on a solution to supply me with wheels that would provide an exact fitment to my car.

I don't work for Fastco.ca, I have no direct affiliation with Fastco.ca nor 1010/tire, but am an end consumer that was so impressed by the Fastco.ca team all the way from the President Glenn Chaplin who I first contacted all the way down to the technicians that milled my wheels.

I hope this helps whether you buy the Braelin wheels or not and that this post provides the correct facts about the Braelin brand wheels.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Personal preference - I don't like coloured rims on a silver car. Any black/grey/silver combo would be better than bronze. Bronze might be interesting on a red or dark green car, though.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ngarara:
CleverName (05-29-2014), Lothar52 (06-08-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Default Center Caps for wheels

I have done some research over the last few days, and spoke with several aftermarket vendors reference center caps on aftermarket wheels.

The bulk of aftermarket wheels are produced in the Asian markets which includes, Japan, Taiwan and China. These wheel producers control the
"moulds" that create the wheels. Most are all aluminum wheels and are made for various vendors/sellers around the world and in the USA.

These aftermarket wheels are made to standards that control the wheel manufacturers. These manufacturers produce the wheels, import them into the USA and then are sold to the end user. Many of the sellers/brand names who have their branding....have wheel center caps that distinguish their own brands.

Lexani, Ace, Braelin, TSW, Konig, HRE, Foose, Beyren, Axis, Tenzo R etc., (the list is very long) have their own center caps that are supplied with the wheels. Very few aftermarket wheels will accept the Jaguar center cap size which is 58mm or 2.25" in diameter, but each name brand auto company has their own sizes of center caps.

BMW 68mm
Jaguar 58mm
Maserati 46.5mm & 55mm
Ferrari 55mm
Porsche 76mm

So, if your looking for an aftermarket wheel for a Jaguar XK/XKR there is a very strong likelihood that Jaguar OEM 58MM Center Caps will not work.

It was recommended to find an aftermarket seller of wheel center caps that can provide a center cap with the Jaguar logo/branding in order to fit the aftermarket wheel and replace the brandname cap that came with the wheel. This would be suggested if you want the Jaguar branding on your aftermarket wheels.

I also noticed in a recent ad for the sale of Jaguar OEM branded wheels they are made in Taiwan, which surprised me.

Also don't be surprised that you might find the same design of a wheel under different brand names. I have seen this many times.

Hope this little bit of info helps. Having a wheel center cap other than the OEM Jaguar size should not deter your decision from buying an aftermarket wheel. There are plenty of beautiful wheels that will fit our XK/XKR/XKR-S cars at good price points.

Last edited by richzak; 05-29-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

May I suggest a cheaper way to experiment with the rim color. Buy a few rattle cans of Eastwoods Elastiwrap. Its a rubber based spray on product that you peel off with no permanent effects. I did this on my Vette to decide on color and I had a chance to live with a decision for a few days before changing it. It will cramp your style as far as a serious look or design but to see if you enjoy a color combination or not it's a reversible option to emotionally justify an overall combination concept.

CleverName (06-08-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I think I'd vote the Hyper-Black style for Silver myself. If I change the color of the XKRs rims I'm pretty sure that's what I'd do. Maybe the Bronze would work with my green. But maybe I don't need more than one car with Bronze wheels. Here's a better shot than the one I could find when we were at Exotics.

Attached Thumbnails -pacraceways.jpg  
Old 06-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I am personally not a fan of black rims
From more then 15 feet away, regardless of style, black rims blend in with the tires and look nothing more then black blobs without any personality
I'm all for the chrome.
I want my wheels to be noticed especially at a grand or so per wheel
Just my 2 cents

CleverName (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Versatile
I am personally not a fan of black rims
From more then 15 feet away, regardless of style, black rims blend in with the tires and look nothing more then black blobs without any personality
I'm all for the chrome.
I want my wheels to be noticed especially at a grand or so per wheel
Just my 2 cents
Thanks.... That is why I was looking at the gunmetal,... to offer up as "step" between the silver and the black tires.
The bronze did the same thing by offering a very light blend to the tire...

-V

Old 06-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Rim Color

Like others have said, black wheels look too 'pimp', 'gangster', etc. Instead of complementing the car, they look like the cheap black painted rims that rat rods often have. Of the pictures you posted, the wheel with the BMW center cap looks the best to me ... classy, stylish ... much more appropriate for a rolling piece of art!

Old 06-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Dark wheels look OK if they have silver accents - which is why I like my Vortexes (Vortices?).

Old 06-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Shadow Chrome!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

You have to make whatever choice you pick look like it was a Jaguar design. Like they picked it and no one would know other wise.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

So no one thinks the cut face on the spokes would look good (basically a clearcoated polished aluminum)? Keeping the rim and primary background color a gunmetal or dark silver?
I agree with all that black is out... Not with these wheels... But a dark sliver would fit the transition to black tires...

V

Old 06-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Check out my garage... not sure Caroline looks like a Gangster.... just a lean mean fightin machine!!! Even with her engine light on!! HA!

Quick Reply: A question of taste – rim colors on silver cat