Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   A question of Wheel Authenticity (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/question-wheel-authenticity-213369/)

pwpacp 01-30-2019 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 2020703)

Maybe these wheel are a forgery instead of forged.

Seller: Forged?......Oh, I thought you meant you wanted "forgery"! :icon_screwy:

CleverName 01-30-2019 06:22 PM

Another part of 'refurbished' that has always made me nervous, is if they were ever cracked......
Yes, they can be welded, buffed, and painted, but I would never trust them when crossing into the 100+ range.

The thought just scares the bejeebees outta me....

Vince

Stuart S 01-30-2019 06:55 PM

:icon_that:

Welding an alloy wheel, both cast and forged, compromises its structural integrity at the point of the weld. Jaguar will not CPO a car with a welded rim because it is unsafe. How do I know? Because it happened to me. Within a week after I bought my CPO XJ, my TPMS warning showed low pressure in the right rear tire. My dealer replaced that rim because it had a slow leak coming from a small weld repair on the inside of the rim at the bead, and apologized for it being missed during the CPO inspection.

I wouldn't risk my life or the lives of my passengers or third parties by driving on a welded rim. Think about it - the cost of a new rim is peanuts compared to the legal liability for personal injury or death caused by negligence by knowingly and intentionally driving on an unsafe welded rim.

The only refurbished wheel that I'll ever use is one of mine that I know has never been welded that I'm having professionally refinished to repair curb rash. Cosmetic repairs yes; structural repairs no. Better safe than sorry.

Tervuren 01-30-2019 08:20 PM

Keep in mind that Marky's wheels are not new from his car if I read the story right.

I'd follow up Queen and Country's advice as a next step.

That said, being forged does not make a wheel lighter automatically.

A forged wheel is not stiffer than a well done cast wheel, and a certain stiffness is required.

A lot of the weight is down to design. The aesthetics and art come at a weight price.

If you build the same wheel design, but only changed forged and cast, the weights will be similar, the stiffness will be similar, the forged will have an advantage of longevity of life.

The forged wheel can flex to a greater degree without permanent damage.

I seem to remember my aftermarket 19" wheels were in the 23lb range for the front, 25 pound range for the rear. They are cast, but the rim is cold rolled into its final shape.

When it comes to performance from different wheels it is not weight alone but also rotational inertia. The cold rolled rim does not allow for as much inconsistency as casting, the tolerance of design can be tighter allowing for less material to meet the required fudge factor. The same is also true for forged wheels over cast.

CleverName 01-30-2019 10:59 PM

All this talk about 33lb rims just raises my hackles knowing I'm stuck with them. My last two cars were on 17" rims, and they were under 19lbs! Two sizes up and I'm stuck with 14 extra pounds! of unsprung weight! Yeash!

Cee Jay 01-30-2019 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by CleverName (Post 2021047)
All this talk about 33lb rims just raises my hackles knowing I'm stuck with them. My last two cars were on 17" rims, and they were under 19lbs! Two sizes up and I'm stuck with 14 extra pounds! of unsprung weight! Yeash!

Yeah, well, the 20" tires weigh less than the 17" tires you had before. Isn't it nearly a trade-off?

CleverName 01-31-2019 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2021053)
Yeah, well, the 20" tires weigh less than the 17" tires you had before. Isn't it nearly a trade-off?

Not really. It is a hard comparison, as there is no 295 in a 17". To see a side by side comparison, the Bridgestone S-04 in 255/20 weighs 28lbs, whereas the 255/17 weighs 27lbs.

110reef 01-31-2019 09:18 AM

Use helium to inflate. That will save weight.

:D

Cee Jay 01-31-2019 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName (Post 2021070)
Not really. It is a hard comparison, as there is no 295 in a 17". To see a side by side comparison, the Bridgestone S-04 in 255/20 weighs 28lbs, whereas the 255/17 weighs 27lbs.

Can't go by the Metric Size for a comparison anyway, have to find suitable comps by Tire Diameter and Width. While a 295 in a 17 size would BE the same width, the sidewall would be tremendously shorter unless you increased the Aspect Ratio from like 30 to probably 70-80. Therein lies the extra weight.
Now you got me interested.... I shall go and actually compare such things for my own info.

EDIT:
Dang, not much out there for Same Tire in those different sizes, hard to find anything that wide with that large a diameter. What I DID find sort of close, about an inch shorter diameter, is only two pounds per tire. Course now you'd have to compare the same width wheels of both 17s and 20s.
I lost my G-A-S on this topic for now.

Tervuren 01-31-2019 04:29 PM

Cee Jay, there are 18" tires available for the XK, you can check the weights out on those and project from there.

This is memory from 2017 when I was wheel and tire shopping, the 18" was lighter than the 19" and 20". The 19" and 20" were very close.

CleverName 01-31-2019 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2021261)
Can't go by the Metric Size for a comparison anyway, have to find suitable comps by Tire Diameter and Width.

No worries.
I just grabbed the Bridgestone S-04 sheet, (scroll down for specifications including tire diameters) and didn't dig deeper.

Stay warm over there behind the Zion Curtain!
V

Cee Jay 01-31-2019 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by CleverName (Post 2021444)
Stay warm over there behind the Zion Curtain!
V

Hellz, man, it was 53 F and sunny here today. Was 51 yesterday, 51 day before that, and is supposed to be at least in the mid-40s until Low 30s next Wednesday.....when, by a great circumstance, I'll be in the Bahamas for a couple weeks.
WOOT!
:icon_sultan:

ProlixArgon 01-31-2019 07:34 PM

It's set to be in the 50's for VA this weekend too. A nice change from the low teens of late...

ProlixArgon 02-04-2019 07:54 AM

Can anyone comment on the weight of either of these wheel designs?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...9d6b8514f1.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...251742d47d.jpg

Both of these designs are listed as "Forged" per the factory brochure -- http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...-Type_2015.pdf

Not sure I believe these brochures anymore...

neilr 02-06-2019 03:38 AM

I very much doubt any car manufacturer would knowingly lie. If found out, they would have to provide the correct part requiring extensive new investment!

In the latest review of the Velar in Pistonheads, we see a statement that must reflect JLR information: " As part of its performance enhancing makeover, SVO has given it new forged 21-inch wheels that are said to be the same weight as the regular car's 20-inch ones ..."

So the actual weight difference is not going to be night-and-day great, especially if you retain a hefty design with many fat spokes, etc., You may get a stronger wheel though.

Queen and Country 02-06-2019 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by neilr (Post 2023921)
I very much doubt any car manufacturer would knowingly lie.

In the latest review of the Velar in Pistonheads,

He is essentially asking if the company he bought them from, in the business of making 'remakes' would lie. You better believe they would as they are already breaking the law.

Great news on the Velar and the continued availability of our 5.0 surpercharged engines.

neilr 02-06-2019 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 2023925)
He is essentially asking if the company he bought them from, in the business of making 'remakes' would lie. You better believe they would as they are already breaking the law.

I was responding to the statement in the jaguar brochure :)

Tp10XKR 02-06-2019 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 2020486)
If I had a white XKR, and sitting on a pile of rims, I would try a set in white. It looks athletic, light-footed in person. And not as common as black. Only some cars can pull it off, the XK has to be one of them, so I think?
It looked stunning on the Ferrari.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...aaf616e2d5.png

or

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...a024d7e27.jpeg
My old 13 Durango RT ! Looked fabulous in all white ( for us less fortunate enthusiasts ). Lmao

ProlixArgon 02-08-2019 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tp10XKR (Post 2024192)

My old 13 Durango RT ! Looked fabulous in all white ( for us less fortunate enthusiasts ). Lmao

Yes, I don't think I've ever seen a car with white wheels that I thought to myself, "wow, that's a sharp look I need in my life."

I'm sure it exists, but I don't think so. The F-car pictured? I don't think those are white...

White is dead last for wheel color choices for me. Though, I was touring a vintage car collection the other day from cars around 1920 and some of them had some a light colored wheel - more cream than white - and that looked quite good. But those were also rolling on 25"+ sized wooden wheels, so not really an apples to apples comparison.

Tervuren 02-08-2019 06:11 AM

I have seen white wheels on a vintage Porsche 911.

Car also had rally lights, stickers, stripes, and a metallic blue paintjob.

I did like it.

In general across all cars I favor black with polished barrel/lip. I'm not sure that is a look for the X150.