XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Rear end shudder while turning left at slow speed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, when I disconnected the power cable (it may be a good idea to wrap the wire in a plastic bag or similar to avoid accidentally touching something sensitive with it), I found there was still some voltage on the terminal, due presumably to either power coming back through something else connected to the junction box, or from internal capacitance of some of the components. To ensure the voltage at this terminal is really zero, to reset the control unit, I took a piece of household electrical wire and connected it between ground (I used a convenient mounting bolt) and the terminal on the junction box. Hold it there for 20 sec and you're done.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks again. you took a piece of household electrical wire and connected it "between ground"??? I dont get that. From where??? .... I know one end goes to the bolt but am missing where I connect the household wire to?

Old 10-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Aprilia2012
Thanks again. you took a piece of household electrical wire and connected it "between ground"??? I dont get that. From where??? .... I know one end goes to the bolt but am missing where I connect the household wire to?
Maybe, to be safe, you should have someone you trust and is a bit more comfortable working with these things do the procedure for you.

The following users liked this post:
TexasTraveler (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 02:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Understood. Probably a good idea. I'll take the notes to someone I know. Thanks for trying. D

Old 10-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Aprilia2012
Understood. Probably a good idea. I'll take the notes to someone I know. Thanks for trying. D
What he is saying is that he discharged any remaining charge in the system. He did it at the rear junction box by removing the positive cable, protecting it, then grounding the junction box by touching the terminal post that the cable was bolted to, to ground.

This is common practice for Jaguar owners but it's normally done at the battery. Remove the negative cable from the battery, then remove the positive cable from the battery. Touch and hold the two cables together for 20 seconds. He's just doing it at the junction box (downstream). Not sure why but the effect is the same if done at the battery. It solved his issue. It may or may not solve yours.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by davidblacklaw
Hi, when I disconnected the power cable (it may be a good idea to wrap the wire in a plastic bag or similar to avoid accidentally touching something sensitive with it), I found there was still some voltage on the terminal, due presumably to either power coming back through something else connected to the junction box, or from internal capacitance of some of the components. To ensure the voltage at this terminal is really zero, to reset the control unit, I took a piece of household electrical wire and connected it between ground (I used a convenient mounting bolt) and the terminal on the junction box. Hold it there for 20 sec and you're done.
The power distribution cable at the rear junction box is a direct feed from the battery, so as long as the battery is connected, you have power there. Once disconnected you can ground it to clear the voltage but this is best done at the battery. See post 45

The concept behind this is that you're trying to reset the E-Differential Control Module, actuator or temp sensor, any of which may be stuck in a loop. Touching the cables will discharge any remaining capacitor voltage and allow the modules to reset themselves.

Last edited by Sean W; 10-12-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 2011 XKR into the dealer. They replaced the differential oil and this problem disappeared.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Grounding at the battery end will do the same thing, IF you are sure you have the right wire and IF you know there is nothing else connected to the wire that you don't want to ground. Grounding the battery terminal at the battery end will reset everything, not just the junction box at the back. This may do the trick, but if you are troubleshooting, it's good to isolate the component you suspect. Otherwise you never know what really fixed the problem.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
I get both on my '10 XKR. The occasional steering wheel shudder while parking and shuddering from the rear on low speed turns when the car is still warming up.
I’ve had the steering wheel shudder on my ‘14 XKR for about a year. When I’m driving slowly, like in a parking lot, and make a hard left or right, there is a shudder in the steering. The best way I can describe it is it feels like I’m driving on ice and the front wheels are slightly skipping on the ice. The first time I felt it was last winter and I assumed the parking lot I was in had ice. I got out and looked but there was no ice. Hmmm... While it was under warranty, I complained to the dealer. The service writer had never heard of my complaint and his tech couldn’t replicate it. I even drove the tech around their parking lot but of course I couldn’t replicate it then either. Isn’t that always how it is! After doing some research, the service writer said it was normal and owners of other models had complained about the same thing. What’s odd is I swear the car didn’t do it before last year. My car still does it and it hasn’t gotten worse so I’m ignoring it.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by XJDanny

I’ve had the steering wheel shudder on my ‘14 XKR for about a year. When I’m driving slowly, like in a parking lot, and make a hard left or right, there is a shudder in the steering. The best way I can describe it is it feels like I’m driving on ice and the front wheels are slightly skipping on the ice. The first time I felt it was last winter and I assumed the parking lot I was in had ice. I got out and looked but there was no ice. Hmmm... While it was under warranty, I complained to the dealer. The service writer had never heard of my complaint and his tech couldn’t replicate it. I even drove the tech around their parking lot but of course I couldn’t replicate it then either. Isn’t that always how it is! After doing some research, the service writer said it was normal and owners of other models had complained about the same thing. What’s odd is I swear the car didn’t do it before last year. My car still does it and it hasn’t gotten worse so I’m ignoring it.
I do not know if it's the same thing, but all of my performance cars (RWD) do that when driving very slow and making very hard turns. Feels like wheels are trying to skip. It gets worse when it gets cold and tires loose traction.

The following 2 users liked this post by BlueXKR-S:
MarkyUK (10-24-2018), XJDanny (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BlueXKR-S
I do not know if it's the same thing, but all of my performance cars (RWD) do that when driving very slow and making very hard turns. Feels like wheels are trying to skip. It gets worse when it gets cold and tires loose traction.
It does sound like the same thing. It does feel like the wheels are trying to skip. Interesting it gets worse when it gets cold because that’s when I first noticed it. Thanks for mentioning it. It’s odd I drove the car about a year without noticing it. Now I notice it all the time.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I guessing, but maybe it's because we have wide tires and when making a sharp turn, the outside of a tire travels a greater distance then inside. Outside probably gets more traction, so the inside has to skip to match. When it gets cold, less traction and tire flex -> more prone to skipping. That's just my theory.

XJDanny (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Yes, that is what I think as well. Perhaps check the alignment as well?

XJDanny (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by XJDanny

there's a couple comments about this in the XF forum, I've experienced it in my XFR. I forgot the reason exactly, but it has something to do with the width of our tires and the camber that they're set at (or something of that nature). long story short, its common

XJDanny (10-23-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

My '07 XKR had exactly the same size tyres as my '10 and didn't do it so I think it is more likely that it is to do with the e-diff. I would assume that the e-diff detects that there is a large difference in speed between the wheels due to the sharp turn so engages briefly.

amcdonal86 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

XJDanny,
There have been many posts about this in the X150 forum, I know I commented about it years ago after I bought my car about 5 years back. It's not always there but most of the time, and many XK/XKR owners have experienced the same thing. It's never gotten worse, so I just put up with it.

XJDanny (10-25-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Now that I think about it, the only time I notice this on my '07 is if it's under maybe 20ºF outside. I am running summer tires.

XJDanny (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
XJDanny,
There have been many posts about this in the X150 forum, I know I commented about it years ago after I bought my car about 5 years back. It's not always there but most of the time, and many XK/XKR owners have experienced the same thing. It's never gotten worse, so I just put up with it.
Thanks, Tberg,
I’ve never noticed previous posts about it but I’m glad I saw this one. I definitely feel better about the issue (or non-issue) now. :-)
Danny

Old 10-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Generally three things cause the rear end shudder, to fix it do the following
1) Change diff oil, this will fix 80 % of issues IF not caused by tires
2) Tires. Tread is low and is not able to flex any longer or tire tread has gone hard and stiff. PZero's are famous for going hard as rocks after a few winters and will cause this issue.
3) Worn suspension bushings.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufc
Generally three things cause the rear end shudder, to fix it do the following
1) Change diff oil, this will fix 80 % of issues IF not caused by tires
2) Tires. Tread is low and is not able to flex any longer or tire tread has gone hard and stiff. PZero's are famous for going hard as rocks after a few winters and will cause this issue.
3) Worn suspension bushings.
I suspect #3 to be the biggie. The rubber on some of the suspension bits is starting to degrade and I can see how the shudder happens due to this. I will have to start a new thread or search bit Im curios about using polyurethane instead of rubber, if the kits exist.