Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Remote Window Valet --Plug & Play (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/remote-window-valet-plug-play-146808/)

richzak 07-23-2015 08:36 AM

Remote Window Valet --Plug & Play

I own a 2015 Corvette and there is a product called Window Valet....sells for just $134.00...it a plug and play device that simply plugs into the diagnostic port. It remotely opens and closes the windows and can open the windows just a 1/2" on command.

It's simple. it works.

I know Steve made the remote for the Jaguar XKR windows and vert top.

Is there anything like this around for the Jaguar and why couldn't a simple device like this be made for the XKR top and windows?

Steve, do you have anything like this product available?

It just plugs into the diagnostics port. No wires, no cutting, no tools.

Once installed, the Window Valet™ for C7 is ready to run. There's no configuration required. And, as always, Window Valet's do NOT reprogram the car's computers.

Description: The Window Valet™ for C7 provides remote power window control for the 2014 and newer Corvette.

** Moving power windows can be dangerous if someone or something were to become pinched or trapped. By installing this product, you agree to the Terms of Use, Warranty, and Liability Waiver. Never use the remote power window feature unless both windows are completely clear of obstructions.

Installation:

The Window Valet™ for C7 plugs into the diagnostics port, near the edge of the dash trim. There's no configuration required. Just plug it in! The Window Valet™ for C7 does not reprogram any of the car's computers. So to reverse the install, just unplug the unit, and the car will immediately revert back to stock.
Usage: To lower the windows via remote, press the remote unlock button three times. To raise the windows, press the remote lock button three times. (Or to prevent the car from blowing its horn multiple times, unlock-unlock-lock may be used.) For the features to activate, the buttons must be pressed in rapid succession, with less than one second between two sequential clicks.

Special Window Venting Feature: The window venting feature allows you to use the remote to leave the windows down about half-an-inch for airflow on hot days. To use this feature, simply issue the remote window up command, wait until the windows have been fully raised, wait a couple of more seconds, and then press the remote lock button one more time. The windows will lower just a fraction of an inch.

WhiteXKR 07-23-2015 08:57 AM

I have a question first...on the Corvette, do the power windows normally work (with out the Windows Valet) with the ignition off?

RedRider48 07-23-2015 09:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Geez, you rich guys have all of the neat stuff!

richzak 07-23-2015 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 1272680)
I have a question first...on the Corvette, do the power windows normally work (with out the Windows Valet) with the ignition off?

Steve:

No. The Corvette windows will NOT move up or down with the engine off.

Also this device will let the window go down 1" to vent the interior of the cabin in addition to sending the window up or down all the way.

Hope this helps.

It's a simple device that Corvette Owners really like. A company Top Down Tech built the device.

Would be great for Jaguar owners. No wiring needed, just plug into OBD reader port.

kj07xk 07-23-2015 04:14 PM

I don't get it. If it doesn't work with the engine off, why do I want it on my remote?

Edit: Ok, just watched a YouTube video for it, and the car was NOT on. That makes more sense.

WhiteXKR 07-23-2015 05:02 PM

Each car has its own unique software, so I really cannot say how the Corvette works.

There is almost no published information on the Jaguar internal communication except some scarce information that can be gleaned from the service manual, Most of what I learned was through observation of internal data communications and testing.

The Jaguar XK has several 'Power modes' which are analogous to ignition key positions (like accessory, ignition, start, engine run) of conventional cars (except there are more states). The computer module (which is built into one of the fuse-boxes) constantly transmits a message which tells the other computers in the car what power mode the car is in. The other modules in the car then behave as they are programmed to do for the particular power mode.

Now, as you know, the convertible top and the windows normally only operate when the ignition is on.

So then you ask, how does my remote top work with the ignition off?

Well, when I was developing it, the first thing I tried was to constantly send a fake 'ignition on' power mode message. This did not work because the fuse-box computer that set the power modes kept sending a 'power off' message. The constant stream of alternating ignition on and power off messages just confused the car.

That is when I decided I need a communications 'bridge' in front of the Jaguar convertible top controller module, to intercept the power off message just to the Jaguar top controller and replace it with ignition on when the appropriate key sequence is pressed on the fob. That worked like a charm.

The same principle could be applied to the door module...but it would require installation to intercept (or 'spoof') the power mode messages to the door module in a similar fashion.

Now, it may be that there is another approach to this that I have not discovered. Perhaps there is a command that will tell the fusebox computer to just stop sending power mode messages and then I could just send my own through the OBDII port, just like on the Vette. I don't know, and it would take some serious investigation to figure that out.

Cee Jay 07-23-2015 07:14 PM

Steve, I do realize that yours is a totally different animal than the Corvette, but maybe a software/firmware update could allow the 1" or so for ventilation? I'd use that feature quite a bit as it regularly gets high 90s, low 100s (38C) around here for months at a time. Dark car, black interior and blazing sun don't do well for leather.
My car is garaged most of the time, but even 20 minutes parked in the heat makes the surfaces toasty-hot.

WhiteXKR 07-23-2015 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 1273015)
Steve, I do realize that yours is a totally different animal than the Corvette, but maybe a software/firmware update could allow the 1" or so for ventilation? I'd use that feature quite a bit as it regularly gets high 90s, low 100s (38C) around here for months at a time. Dark car, black interior and blazing sun don't do well for leather.
My car is garaged most of the time, but even 20 minutes parked in the heat makes the surfaces toasty-hot.

As a software update to the remote top I do think it will work, because the top control unit, when spoofed, is able to execute commands to the windows. I'll add it to my growing list of feature enhancements to attempt.

richzak 07-23-2015 08:49 PM

Steve:

To clarify:

On the 2014 & 2015 Corvette:

When the ignition is OFF the windows will not go up or down.

Once the Window Valet device is inserted in the diagnostic (OBD) port the windows will then go up or down fully or just go down 1" for ventilation or to vent the heat from the interior cabin using the key fob. The ignition does not have to be on.

Hope this clarifies things.

BruceTheQuail 07-23-2015 09:13 PM

I got an s40T5 back in 2004 which had that feature. It was the first time I'd seen it, and I thought it was awesome especially here in Queensland where it can get into the high 30's Celsius. I think I used it all of 3 times, though, and probably then only to show off.

WhiteXKR 07-23-2015 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by richzak (Post 1273051)
Steve:

To clarify:

On the 2014 & 2015 Corvette:

When the ignition is OFF the windows will not go up or down.

Once the Window Valet device is inserted in the diagnostic (OBD) port the windows will then go up or down fully or just go down 1" for ventilation or to vent the heat from the interior cabin using the key fob. The ignition does not have to be on.

Hope this clarifies things.

Got it Rich. It is just not clear to me how to do it on the XK through the OBDII port, though I might be able to add the feature to the remote top which can be downloaded in the future.

That does not mean necessarily it is impossible to do through the OBDII port, but I do not know how at this point in time.

ralphwg 07-23-2015 10:01 PM

I thinbk that this feature would be somewhat redundant. the door windows on XKs and XKRs can be opened or closed with the key fob by depressing the lock or unlock button on the fob for an extra 2-5 seconds or so. I think that the current capabilities of the Jaguar key fob make such an accessory un necessary.

richzak 07-23-2015 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg (Post 1273076)
I think that this feature would be somewhat redundant. the door windows on XKs and XKRs can be opened or closed with the key fob by depressing the lock or unlock button on the fob for an extra 2-5 seconds or so. I think that the current capabilities of the Jaguar key fob make such an accessory un necessary.

I did not know this could be done at all.

I don't believe it was ever discussed here.

What is the exact sequence for the down window?

What is the exact sequence for the up window?

Can the rear windows move up or down using the key fob?

ralphwg 07-23-2015 10:23 PM

Rich - To open the window and unlock the doors; press the unlock button twice, holding the second press until the windows are down. to close the windows and lock the doors press the lock button twice and hold the button down until the windows are closed. the first press will unlock/lock the driver side door.

As far as I know the rear windows will not go up or down by using the key fob.

The manual covers the key fob operation on pages 14 and 15 under the heading global open. go out to your car and try it. Regards, Ralph

ralphwg 07-23-2015 10:35 PM

The only way I know of to operate the rear windows on XK/XKR verts is to acquire the excellent remote top control with the rear window add-on from Steve and Jaguarwrangler (known as White XKR) on this forum.