Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Replace interior lights with led (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/replace-interior-lights-led-213933/)

Someb 02-12-2019 03:41 AM

Replace interior lights with led

Hello all,

I'm planning to replace all my interior lights with led-versions. I searched the forum how to do it but I couldn't find any description. Can anyone be of any help how to replace the lights by myself?

TiA
Ben

GGG 02-12-2019 04:12 AM

Ben,

I've moved your question from XK Press pack / equipment spec / tech spec & pics FAQ thread.

Graham

kj07xk 02-12-2019 07:00 AM

Do a search on this forum, its been done before, and I believe the details of the LEDs used was also provided.

Someb 02-12-2019 07:06 AM

Thx Kj,

I searched the forum but didnt get any results; perhaps my fault using the wrong parameters? Can you help me with it?

Grtz
Ben

TexasTraveler 02-12-2019 08:03 AM

Here is a thread that I started that should get you started... There are a couple other threads that have great info and different bulb lists that I have used as well...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-195058/

Someb 02-13-2019 08:14 AM

Thx Texas Traveler,

It will help me in some way for sure, but still didnt find a description how to get to the bulbs so I can take the old out and put the led in. Do you have a tip about the search term I should use to find more suitable threads?

Thx

Ben

TexasTraveler 02-13-2019 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Someb (Post 2027005)
Thx Texas Traveler,

It will help me in some way for sure, but still didnt find a description how to get to the bulbs so I can take the old out and put the led in. Do you have a tip about the search term I should use to find more suitable threads?

Thx

Ben

All the interior lights just have plastic covers that can be removed by using minimal tools (small pick or screwdriver) to access bulbs. The foot well lights have no covers and simply pull out and replace. The only ones that are a little more than that is the overhead lights in the roof console, where you have to gently remove the roof console to gain access to bulbs, still not a hard job... You can search and find procedure to remove roof console if your unsure...

Queen and Country 02-13-2019 02:15 PM

Sorry but a horrible harebrained idea to replace interior lights on XK with leds.

The stock incandescent lighting is laboriously designed to:
Gently and progressively come on, and go off the same way.
All while maintaining the perfect warm hue becoming of luxury.
Its bright enough but never a sharp glare.

You will go to led lights that:
Dont dim progressively, if they dim at all.
Dont have the right hue.
Dont have the same real lumens- but feel like it due to glare.
And may give you Canbus error.

I will never forget the first time I saw an XK.
The showroom was being closed because they were moving.
All cars were gone except the XKR that sat inside the building.
The salesman (now just guarding the inventory) had nothing to do and was just fiddling around with the one car.
He said in his idleness he was just sitting inside the XK and getting a sense of the space.
He was memorized by how much thought had gone into the mood lighting.

TexasTraveler 02-13-2019 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country (Post 2027116)
Sorry but a horrible harebrained idea to replace interior lights on XK with leds.

The stock incandescent lighting is laboriously designed to:
Gently and progressively come on, and go off the same way.
All while maintaining the perfect warm hue becoming of luxury.
Its bright enough but never a sharp glare.

You will go to led lights that:
Dont dim progressively, if they dim at all.
Dont have the right hue.
Dont have the same real lumens- but feel like it due to glare.
And may give you Canbus error.

I will never forget the first time I saw an XK.
The showroom was being closed because they were moving.
All cars were gone except the XKR that sat inside the building.
The salesman (now just guarding the inventory) had nothing to do and was just fiddling around with the one car.
He said in his idleness he was just sitting inside the XK and getting a sense of the space.
He was memorized by how much thought had gone into the mood lighting.

Q&C to each his own... As for me I like the color of 4000K pure white light, not only in my cars but my home as well. But if you enjoy 2 century old technology in yours, that's just fine by me, I won't fault you for it...

Brutal 02-13-2019 04:30 PM

And a side note. I just changed all my exterior in my 04. Whenever doing the amber lense or red lenses dont use white, use amber or red leds. The white give a washed out look. The red actually look pink if you use white leds.

MarkyUK 02-13-2019 04:48 PM

I changed mine purely from a standpoint of continuity since mine has LED: tail lights, DRL's number plate lights and Xenons, IM(not so H)O it made sense to carry that through to the interior. All my interior bulbs inc glovebox, centre console, trunk and under dash all changed for around £10 and (IIRC) 8 bulbs.

No CANBUS errors in 4 months :)

I still need to change the bulbs in the wing mirrors but was advised that defused LED's were better and I've been unable to locate them this side of the pond....yet.

Someb 02-14-2019 10:10 AM

Hi Mark,

I have send you an PM on the luggage item. Did you get any further with purchasing the luggage bags or can you provide me with the address of the manufacturer. Thx in advance.

For all other reactions to my post; mayby i will only change the bulbs in the boot and under the dashboard ;)

Grtz and again thx

Ben

Ranchero50 02-14-2019 04:15 PM

I'm with Q+C on this, love the warm look. Actually have been replacing the LED and CFL's in my house with the vintage style LED's and love the color.

I looked at changing the instrument cluster LEDs to blue but they are soldered in place. Reward isn't worth the pain since if I screw up that board the car is bricked.

SnuseDrake 06-23-2022 07:40 AM

I can give a piece of advice based on my experience. It is: buy the best light strips, not the cheapest. You’ll waste the money anyway, but if you buy a cheap first, you’ll waste it twice. I wanted to find some quality stuff for my car after throwing cheap LEDs into the garbage (they broke for an unknown reason on the fifth day of usage). I’ve found car interior lighting on the internet and decided that these are perfect. And I’ve never regretted installing them. My car became so atmospheric and cool inside! Now long trips aren’t so boring and similar to me. I’ve been using it for three months, and they’ve never broken. I’m completely satisfied

Jaxxr1 06-24-2022 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SnuseDrake (Post 2537603)
I can give a piece of advice based on my experience. It is: buy the best light strips, not the cheapest. You’ll waste the money anyway, but if you buy a cheap first, you’ll waste it twice. I wanted to find some quality stuff for my car after throwing cheap LEDs into the garbage (they broke for an unknown reason on the fifth day of usage). I’ve found car interior lighting on the internet and decided that these are perfect. And I’ve never regretted installing them. My car became so atmospheric and cool inside! Now long trips aren’t so boring and similar to me. I’ve been using it for three months, and they’ve never broken. I’m completely satisfied

Do you have any pictures with the new lighting? Love to see your updated look. TIA