XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Scared stiff to try this!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scared stiff to try this!

Hi - Had my fab car for 5 months but now in UK winter is approaching and not taking my car out over the winter. I have purchased good quality trickle charger (and used same on my Merc CLK) but can't even find the battery on my XK! Hand book has shown me separate lugs in boot for '+' terminal and under wheel cover for '-' terminal. But scared stiff to use these in case I fry my little beauty.
Anyone else used this location for a trickle charger over winter time or for 3-4 months
also what is best position for auto gearbox? N or P, concerned about brake binding. Car is under an all weather cover and is underneath an open sided tractor shed so not warm and cosy but is dry.
Many thanks

Old 11-27-2017, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The positive + and negative - you describe that are listed in the manual are the locations you can use to attach the charger. Just follow the instructions and you should have no problems. The battery is behind a cover that you reach from the boot. As for parking you should leave it in P , park.

The following users liked this post:
Know nothing (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 06:34 AM
Thumbs up Scared stiff to try this!

Many thanks Jag toes - I know nothing about cars (unfortunately) so the reply is extremely helpful and reassuring - cheers

Old 11-27-2017, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Some batteries have additional posts just from battery chargers where you can screw on the attachment from the recharger dongle.

CTEK is the most popular charged. The dongle can stick out through the edge of the spare tire area in the hatch.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:01 AM

Thanks mosesbotbol - CTEK charger looks great, better than the ones I have just bought for lorry and tractor as well. Fab selection of cars you have by the way!

Old 11-27-2017, 08:27 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

If you're storing the car for winter, in addition to attaching a battery tender, you should also add a fuel stabiliser to the petrol, preferable when the tank if full.

Inflate the tyres to 275 kPa so they don't develop flat spots.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:31 AM

Brilliant NBCat - very helpful - would never have thought of those - I will do that on the 3 cars I'm storing over winter.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Other things that come to mind are: placing a vapour barrier on the floor under the vehicle such as a thin plastic film, or painter's cloth to reduce moisture unless your garage is heated.

Unless you're planning to drive the vehicle at weekends, it may also be best to purchase a quality cover to keep contamination off the paintwork.

If rodents or other animals seek refuge in your garage, some on this forum add scented clothing dryer papers around the engine compartment as a deterrent.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Also doesn't hurt to park them on a plastic painters tarp (clear 3 mil will do). This prevents moisture from leaching up from the concrete floor.

Lay dryer sheets on the floor inside the car and in the engine bay. Put steel wool or rags in the exhaust tips. These tricks will keep mice away. Doesn't hurt to scatter moth ***** on the tarp outside the car either but some folks don't like the smell. If you're storing it away from your home garage, shouldn't be an issue.

Leave your self a note on the driver's seat to remove the steel wool/rags and dryer sheets lest ye forget.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:47 AM

Thanks Sean - great advice I will follow - we have hay stacked near the vehicle so mice an issue! Will put suggested layers on floor to keep the boy nice and dry - really appreciated - cheers
PS - Great quote - I know a few people like that (me for instance lol !

Old 11-27-2017, 08:53 AM

Hi NBCat - Thanks again for the advice - I do have a good cover for protection of the paintwork - Thanks again - advice and help very much appreciated

Old 11-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Open sided tractor shed.
I'd be more concerned about rats eating the wiring.

I'd also drive the car on nicer days. Mine doesn't mind the rain and I think getting wet / cold is much better than being abandoned for a couple months.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:07 AM

Ok Ranchero50 - thanks for that - hoping the farm cat will keep the rats at bay, they're bigger targets than the mice and a bit slower so he can just about manage them - but I'll put a few traps down as well - would love to drive out on those winter days - I was pretty pleased at Goodwood this year when got beached in a really muddy car park and came through unscathed even after a tow out
Was intending to take trickle off every couple of weeks and run the engine even if didn't drive off the farm but appreciate a run is better than a static engine tick over - Cheers

Old 11-27-2017, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Exercising the car vs just running the engine will net better longevity. It's the rubber bits in the car that get hard and then crack / fail once they're moving again that causes grief.

At my buddy's farm some of the rats are as big as the cats. I shoot them with an air rifle every couple weeks. Nasty things.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:41 AM

So moving the car and giving it a gun down the motorway sounds like a good routine - pure joy - just love this car - puts a smile on my face as soon as I get behind the wheel and laugh with joy when I put my foot down!
Our cat wouldn't cope with the rats that size even though he's a big guy - perhaps I'll give the cat an air rifle !
Cheers

Old 11-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

I have heard from others that mint oil on a cotton ball inside the car is great rodent deterrent. Make sure the cotton ball is not directly touching anything inside the car.

@Know nothing - thanks on the cars. The XE and Vantage are my current ones. Hope to have a Rapide replacing the Vantage by spring.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:15 AM

Interesting what deters the little blighters, always wonder how people discover these things work - thanks for that
The XK60 I have was the closest I could get to an Aston - still hoping to get there one day - good luck and have fun shopping for the new one - performance must be awsome - I saw one at Goodwood this year for sale and was sorely tempted to splash out but will have to wait for another day

Old 11-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Know nothing
Interesting what deters the little blighters, always wonder how people discover these things work - thanks for that
The XK60 I have was the closest I could get to an Aston - still hoping to get there one day - good luck and have fun shopping for the new one - performance must be awsome - I saw one at Goodwood this year for sale and was sorely tempted to splash out but will have to wait for another day
The Vantage is much sportier than people expect. I took out a friend who is a Porsche driving instructor. Showed up to my house in an RS4, owns a 930 Turbo and 996 GT2. Never been in an Aston. Went for 20 minute drive and he was utterly blown away. He said he really felt that James Bond and everything was just so nice. The sounds, the transmission (shifts are really nice feeling), quality of interior, suspension, and the steering. He wants one (possibly mine) to replace his GT2. He thought it was a pure sports car, nothing GT to it. People mistake a swank interior to mean it can't be so sporty. That or they clump all Aston's into a certain driving experience. Some of it can, but the Vantage can get you trouble very easily. Minimal at best driver aids and very quick handling. Everything works so well in the car. HVAC is silent as is the engine when idling. I have stalled it before and had no idea as you can barely hear the engine at idle (800 rpm). Touch the throttle and it's beast. No car sounds better when it starts up. The mean bark Aston's give out at start is worth it alone. I added VAP decat's and removed the active valve fuse for the exhaust.

Last edited by mosesbotbol; 11-28-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:09 AM

Yup that's pretty damn awesome ! - thanks for the photo. When I went to buy the XK there was an XK8 there as well, I wanted a car that made a nice noise so got the sales guy to start them both and rev the engines - sold the XK to me because of its noise. Took it for a test drive and he knew I wasn't going to be a tough sale with a huge grin on my face. With all the bits and bobs deactivated on the Vantage it must be like going back to the good old grandprix days before the hybrids came in, with that fab noise you can only get from petrol engines. Actually, and this sounds sad, when I see someone with an Aston out and about and parked, I ask them to start the thing up just so I can listen to it - they always oblige - nice guys these Aston owners ! (not sure what HVAC is)(or VAP decats but can guess at the effect of removing the fuse) - Enjoy

Old 11-28-2017, 09:21 AM
Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Know nothing
(not sure what HVAC is)
Heating, ventilation and air conditioning

Know nothing (11-28-2017)