XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Scott Jaguar in Charlotte, NC review

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Scott Jaguar in Charlotte, NC review

Beware of this dealer's service dept.

I brought my car in for some standard maintenance and some warranty work with the top malfunctioning. During the time there someone dropped something on the windshield causing it to crack and need replacing. Accidents happen and I was satisfied that they agreed to replace it.

While getting some minor paintwork (matching the color on some body trim) and some minor paintless dent repairs they had a glass person come to replace the windshield at the bodyshop. While this work was being completed they tore the leather on the dash just in front of the steering wheel. The bodyshop agreed to fix it. When I went to pick it up I discovered the "fix" meant glue it down, sand it and spray it with black spray paint. The stitching is now discolored, doesn't line up and where they scratched it in another spot looks worse now in the sunlight than before the "fix". That - and even though they claimed to not have spray painted it, there is overspray on the windshield proving otherwise.

The bodyshop (Scott Autobody) called the dealer (specifically Adrienne the service manager) when this happened to explain - she never called them back - went to look at it (it's right across the street) or called me back when I called to confirm their attention to this. After emailing several times and only sticking to facts with dates and correspondence where the dealer didn't call back or email back, I began to CC the dealer owner and GM. Now the service manager sends me the glass company's name to contact directly - even though it's their vendor that they subcontracted through. The leather dash is ruined and the texture where they sanded is not the fine leather that the car had when it went in and they refuse to fix it.

I sent pictures - will post soon - that show the damage and nobody wants to take responsibility. Are there any escalation paths at Jag corporate that anyone is aware of? I was hoping they would do the right thing and I hate blasting vendors on forums but consumers need to know when a vendor does shoddy work and won't fix the damage they cause. 8 weeks of back and forth...

I'm pissed at the quality of repair and the lack of response.

Pics to come.

Oh and 8 weeks later the part that they "ordered" for the warranty top repair is still not there and there has been NO updates or communication from them.

The service dept. wasn't aware that my sedan needs replacing and this made the decision to mark the XJ off the list that was our first choice... the profits from that would have more than made up the loss from making this right. I tell my team on a regular basis that clients will always forgive if you communicate and make it right. Clients never forget when you screw them.

Last edited by R_Rated; 09-29-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:22 PM

There should be a section for dealer reviews...

Old 09-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow. That is truly disappointing and troubling.

I am sure you are headed this way - but just as a suggestion - I would start (quickly) moving up the corporate ladder within Jaguar. While dealers are "independent" they (regardless) have corporate oversight via Region VPs, etc.

I experienced a far less significant issue with my non-Jaguar car. The dealer dinged both the roof and hood (appeared something fell down on the roof and then the hood while they had it). The dealership was in "full denial" until I got corporate involved.

Suggest you work the internet and get to the right (elevated) party in Jaguar.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

These types of threads have a habit of disappearing on the forums... it's probably better to put your review on DealerRater.com or yelp!

Sounds terrible what they've done. I would try contacting the Better Business Bureau!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 09-29-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated

I brought my car in for some standard maintenance and some warranty work with the top malfunctioning. During the time there someone dropped something on the windshield causing it to crack and need replacing. Accidents happen and I was satisfied that they agreed to replace it.

While getting some minor paintwork (matching the color on some body trim) and some minor paintless dent repairs they had a glass person come to replace the windshield at the bodyshop. While this work was being completed they tore the leather on the dash just in front of the steering wheel. The bodyshop agreed to fix it. When I went to pick it up I discovered the "fix" meant glue it down, sand it and spray it with black spray paint. The stitching is now discolored, doesn't line up and where they scratched it in another spot looks worse now in the sunlight than before the "fix". That - and even though they claimed to not have spray painted it, there is overspray on the windshield proving otherwise.

The bodyshop (Scott Autobody) called the dealer (specifically Adrienne the service manager) when this happened to explain - she never called them back - went to look at it (it's right across the street) or called me back when I called to confirm their attention to this. After emailing several times and only sticking to facts with dates and correspondence where the dealer didn't call back or email back, I began to CC the dealer owner and GM. Now the service manager sends me the glass company's name to contact directly - even though it's their vendor that they subcontracted through. The leather dash is ruined and the texture where they sanded is not the fine leather that the car had when it went in and they refuse to fix it.

I sent pictures - will post soon - that show the damage and nobody wants to take responsibility. Are there any escalation paths at Jag corporate that anyone is aware of? I was hoping they would do the right thing and I hate blasting vendors on forums but consumers need to know when a vendor does shoddy work and won't fix the damage they cause. 8 weeks of back and forth...

Pics to come.

Oh and 8 weeks later the part that they "ordered" for the warranty top repair is still not there and there has been NO updates or communication from them.

The service dept. wasn't aware that my sedan needs replacing and this made the decision to mark the XJ off the list that was our first choice... the profits from that would have more than made up the loss from making this right. I tell my team on a regular basis that clients will always forgive if you communicate and make it right. Clients never forget when you screw them.
It better not disappear, and something better be done about it at the top!

Old 09-29-2014, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
These types of threads have a habit of disappearing on the forums... it's probably better to put your review on DealerRater.com or yelp!

Sounds terrible what they've done. I would try contacting the Better Business Bureau!
I tried to keep the emotion aside and stick to facts that I have documented with the dealer and can substantiate... So long as it sticks to facts and not bashing for the sake of bashing it should stay.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated

Pics to come.

Contact Jaguar North America immediately. They have always taken care of me when my local Brown's Jaguar dealership screws up. They are 12 miles from my home yet I choose to drive 121 miles to the next closest dealership to get quality service.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Go to Jaguar North America immediately. I have always found them to be responsive and cooperative. Also make sure you keep all of your documentation in case the situation should escalate.

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

We should post a list of Jaguar contacts for each region we have members to make issues like this easier to solve. A Jaguar regional org chart. We would push the dealership to replace the dash or have Jaguar replace the dash at another dealership.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by elindo
Contact Jaguar North America immediately. They have always taken care of me when my local Brown's Jaguar dealership screws up. They are 12 miles from my home yet I choose to drive 121 miles to the next closest dealership to get quality service.
Do you have any contacts that you can send me?

Old 09-30-2014, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

THAT IS HORRRIBLE! Being from Charlotte I've seen that dealer sell some questionable cars over the years.

Jag NA is the way to go, I called them about my milky headlights the dealer refused to fix and they took a care of it in a few days. They called the dealer the same day. I don't have my Jag card with me but will try to find the number.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

You may find that the dealer is not responsible for the work completed by another shop.

The big question is:

Did you take your Jaguar to the bodyshop yourself .....or.....did you leave it with the Jaguar dealership to get repaired and then the dealer made the decision to take the car over to Scotts Body Shop?

If you took the car to the bodyshop yourself and the incident happened at the body shop, the Jaguar Dealership will have NO responsibility to make any repairs at no cost to you. They simply have no liability.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
You may find that the dealer is not responsible for the work completed by another shop.

The big question is:

Did you take your Jaguar to the bodyshop yourself .....or.....did you leave it with the Jaguar dealership to get repaired and then the dealer made the decision to take the car over to Scotts Body Shop?

If you took the car to the bodyshop yourself and the incident happened at the body shop, the Jaguar Dealership will have NO responsibility to make any repairs at no cost to you. They simply have no liability.
Simple question, who did you pay for the work? If Jaguar cashed your check, they own the good and the bad.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:45 PM

The big question is:

The Jag was at the bodyshop where the Dealer did the work. They have the same name and the dealer rents the space to the bodyshop who does all of their work, etc.

Yes, I drove it to the bodyshop - The dealer sent their subcontractor to the bodyshop to do the work where they did the damage. It was their people that caused the damage.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

FYI - My Jaguar dealer recommends both a bodyshop and a detailer. The recommendations are in the form of signs permanently attached to the service dept's wall along with the address and phone number of each. I think a case can be made that since my dealer recommends theses firms in the fashion described above that a case can be made that there is some dealer culpability/liability if the recommended firms screws up. If not legally, certainly morally. I stand by my earlier recommendation go to Jaguar NA. My experience says that they will be helpful.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
FYI - My Jaguar dealer recommends both a bodyshop and a detailer. The recommendations are in the form of signs permanently attached to the service dept's wall along with the address and phone number of each. I think a case can be made that since my dealer recommends theses firms in the fashion described above that a case can be made that there is some dealer culpability/liability if the recommended firms screws up. If not legally, certainly morally. I stand by my earlier recommendation go to Jaguar NA. My experience says that they will be helpful.
The subcontractor should have his own liability insurance to cover this. The dealer did not perform the repairs someone else did. I am very curious as to the response from Jaguar Customer Relations. Having been involved in this type of situation I already know the response. If your goal is to have the car repaired contact the company that damaged the car & deal with them. They damaged your car not the dealer.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86

These type of threads have never disappeared from this site, as long as facts are stated in a cool headed manner.
When things get out of hand and libelous, then yes, threads can and will be removed

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Go to Jaguar North America immediately. I have always found them to be responsive and cooperative. Also make sure you keep all of your documentation in case the situation should escalate.
+ 1
I would also advise escalating this to JNA

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
MaximA (10-06-2014), R_Rated (10-01-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I would file a claim against them in small claims court. It's something that you can do without an attny. When they get a subpeona they might take a different view of handling the situation rather than spend time in court.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Laws might vary state-by-state. I dunno. However, in the 30+ years I worked in and managed dealership service departments the philosophy was that we (the dealership) were responsible for any work we sublet or subcontracted.

In this case it appears the dealership itself hired the windshield company. It is a company of their chosing. The dealer is paying the subcontractor.

As I see it the subcontractor has no agreement with, or obligation, to the car owner. The car owner did not hire him. There is no business between them. The contractor's agreement and obligation is to the dealership, as it's the dealership who hired him.

The car owner, however, has business with the dealership and that business includes the understanding the the dealer is liable for damages. The dealership damaged the windshield and, seeing their obligation, agreed to make it right. They hired a subcontractor who further damaged the car. AFAIC the dealer is responsible *just as if the subcontractor was a dealer employee*. Thus the dealership's obligations under 'care, custody, and control' extend outward to the contractor they hired.

IMHO, the dealer should replace (or otherwise satisfactorily repair) the dashboard and take the customer out of the middle. The dealer and the subcontractor can argue the matter between themselves or let the respective insurance companies do so.

OTOH, if the customer himself hired and paid the subcontractor with the agreement of simply being reimbursed by the dealer then it seems to me that the dealer is off the hook for collateral damage.

This is all "IMHO". I'm no attorney

Purely on a customer relations basis I would've *never* put the customer in the middle like this. If I hired a subcontractor to work on a customer's car I felt responsible for everything he did even if there was a chance of not legally being required to. IMHO, that would've been a very slim chance.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

The big question is:

I respectfully disagree.

It is the *dealership* that hired the subcontractor. The dealership made that decision, not the car owner.

The location where the hired subcontractor did the glass replacement (and subsequent damage) and how the vehicle got to that location isn't important.

IMHO

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: Scott Jaguar in Charlotte, NC review