Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Seat backs won't go forward - RESOLVED (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/seat-backs-wont-go-forward-resolved-115115/)

Del Boy 04-04-2014 10:57 AM

Seat backs won't go forward - RESOLVED

2007 XKR convertible. Left it with a valet last night (did not use valet mode), got back in, pressed my M1 button to get my seat back to where I left it (valet was tall!) and everything repositioned except the seat back. Fiddled with the rake button and found the seat will only go back, not forward. Same thing is happening on the passenger side. Any ideas? Both seats are almost lying flat right now. Not a low battery as that is fully charged. Thanks.

Ngarara 04-04-2014 07:08 PM

Try a hard reset of the seat control modules - pull fuses 9 & 18 (5A, tan) in the footwell fuse box, wait 10s, then plug 'em back in. You will lose you seat memory settings, so you'll have to re-memorise them. You may also have to reset the park brake afterwards, since it runs off F18 - hold foot on brake, activate park brake, release park brake.

hawaii 04-04-2014 07:30 PM

Weird....must of been awkward driving home? LOL Like a low rider...
I'm no expert but try pulling the fuse on the electric seats. That might reboot them. Sorry I don't which fuse that is.

Del Boy 04-04-2014 11:26 PM

Thanks Ngarara and Hawaii. Pulled fuses, no difference. Also disconnected the battery completely, waited a few minutes and reconnected it - same problem. What's really odd is that it happened to both seats at the same time, yet looking at the seat wiring diagrams they don't seem to have any modules, connectors or motors in common. Baffled!

Update: found a couple of interesting threads on the pre-2006 forum:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...module-110428/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dation-103908/

Will try to remove the module(s) tomorrow.

GGG 04-05-2014 03:10 AM

Having gone through the typical Seat Module problems on both of my two earlier model XK8's, I thought this sounded very similar. On these, tracks on the circuit board crack over time with flexing and the fix is to flow solder across the crack to bridge it.

The setup of Control Modules / Hall Effect Sensors / Occupancy Sensing used in earlier 2 door and four door models looks to have been carried over to the XK/XKR. However, I found this in the Workshop Manual which could be relevant:

As part of the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) each seat needs to perform a clash avoidance check. This procedure is to ensure there is no contact between the seat trim and rear quarter casing.

If there is any contact between the seat trim and rear quarter casing the affected seat must be recalibrated via the seat calibration routine in the Integrated Diagnostic System.

Earlier models didn't have this calibration. If a 'hard reset' followed by a check of the module harness connections and the modules themselves doesn't resolve the issue, it could have lost calibration.

Graham

Del Boy 04-17-2014 09:39 PM

Update: Problem was a simple calibration issue. The dealer reprogrammed the seat modules for me and both seats are back to normal. Not sure why they went out of synch in the first place - either low battery or a sequence of things that the valet did, but I can drive sitting normally once again!

GGG 04-18-2014 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Del Boy (Post 957009)
Update: Problem was a simple calibration issue. The dealer reprogrammed the seat modules for me and both seats are back to normal. ...........

Thanks for posting the result.

I've added 'RESOLVED' to your thread title to help anyone searching for the solution to this issue in future.

Graham

Qwikkitty 02-05-2016 02:15 PM

I'm pretty sure mine has the same problem. Had a low battery, and replaced it. But, now the seat back and bottom won't extend fully back. It thinks its hitting the back. If you try to move it back, it also sends the back more upright. If you try to recline the back, it moves the seat bottom forward. I tried pulling the fuses and battery to do a hard reset, but no difference. Have to get it reprogrammed with the IDS, I guess.

Del Boy 02-05-2016 03:33 PM

Looks like you lost the calibration like I did. Only in my case it thought it was further forward than it was so would only go back. A simple recalibration of the module at your dealer should fix it. Good luck.

makecopies 09-30-2017 08:54 AM

How much does it cost at the dealer to get the seat recalibrated at the dealer?

michaelodonnell123 10-01-2017 08:49 PM

Around $125 to re calibrate the seat.

synperkaya 10-04-2017 11:08 AM

Mongoose SDD

I had the same problems with both of my seats in the past due to a low battery problem..took it to the dealer and they had to re calibrate the seats which cost an hour's time..around $125...so I had this problem again recently around 2 months ago and recognized the symptom, so I purchased a mongoose SDD module programmer for around $40 dollars..and once I plugged it in and went through the simple configurations, there was a section for seat calibrations, and it reset all of my seat motor functions, and was back online right after...so it was worth the chance for me..

Al

JaguarXKConvert 08-18-2018 12:29 PM

Does the "mongoose SDD module programmer" show calibrations for multiple things in the car or only the seats? Could I calibrate other parts?

Originally Posted by synperkaya (Post 1770327)
I had the same problems with both of my seats in the past due to a low battery problem..took it to the dealer and they had to re calibrate the seats which cost an hour's time..around $125...so I had this problem again recently around 2 months ago and recognized the symptom, so I purchased a mongoose SDD module programmer for around $40 dollars..and once I plugged it in and went through the simple configurations, there was a section for seat calibrations, and it reset all of my seat motor functions, and was back online right after...so it was worth the chance for me..

Al

JaguarXKConvert 09-19-2018 04:31 PM

What was the model and name of the SSD module programmer?

Al

hafren 09-19-2018 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by JaguarXKConvert (Post 1948610)
Does the "mongoose SDD module programmer" show calibrations for multiple things in the car or only the seats? Could I calibrate other parts?

Look at the forum thread General Tech help for information on SDD - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...d-truth-32683/

synperkaya 09-20-2018 10:28 AM

LIke Hafren mentioned..I think the information is listed on his link..as for myself, the programming software has the ability to calibrate the seats, windows, and steering wheel as well as other stuff, ..but I would stay away from the steering wheel calibration without knowing the specific tag number in the trunk area..you will need this information to calibrate the steering wheel..my steering wheel would not work right until I found that specific information, once I got it calibrated, i left it alone..
al

xkrjaguar 01-05-2019 01:24 AM

2009 xkr seat calibration

Al

can i pay you to calibrate my seats on my 2009 XKR I LIVE IN SAN ANTONIO,TEXAS

xkrjaguar 01-05-2019 01:30 AM

can i pay you to calibrate my seats on my 2009 Jaguar XKR ? i live in SAN ANTONIO TEXAS

synperkaya 01-07-2019 09:47 AM

Hello...PM me so we can discuss the details..Of course I will not charge you for the calibration..just have to make time to meet is the hard part....
al