Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Service required (not a reset question) 2010XKR (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/service-required-not-reset-question-2010xkr-215604/)

Rick7311 03-26-2019 10:04 PM

Service required (not a reset question) 2010XKR

Hello everyone, I’m curious if the service required message is exclusively for oil change interval or does it come on for anything else. I tried resetting mine a few times & I get to the screen where it says resetting service but never switches to the final message of service reset. I just had the battery disconnected prior to this to do some other work. I counted up to 60 three different times & it never reset. I do have the SDD software, I’ll be hooking that up tomorrow. Anyone with SDD experience have any pointers what or where to look once I’m connected.
Thanks

GGG 03-27-2019 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rick7311 (Post 2046240)
..... I just had the battery disconnected prior to this to do some other work. .....

My Service Required message came on after a battery disconnect to replace an inner door handle although the vehicle had only had a dealer service two month earlier when it had been reset.

I hooked up SDD v155 only to find there isn't a function to turn it off - there's just a screen listing the same button pressing procedure as described in other posts.

The Service Required message is normally first displayed when the vehicle has 2000 miles before the service is due. When the ignition is switched on, and the vehicle has started its service countdown, SERVICE REQ'D XXXX km (XXXX MLS) is displayed in the message centre. When the service distance has been reached, SERVICE REQUIRED is displayed in the message centre.

The Service Required message is only related to the mileage covered since it was last reset.

Graham

Rick7311 03-27-2019 07:24 AM

Have you ever heard of getting to the second step of the reset procedure & it being stuck on that light & not resetting?? I held the buttons together for almost a minute several times & it should go to the reset screen in around 10 seconds.

GGG 03-27-2019 10:47 AM

I find the Jaguar button pressing reset procedures (previously used for remote fob programming) are more black magic than science. The timing is absolutely critical.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...20b683811d.jpg

I've had problems getting the 5 steps completed in the required time and not then got to service mode reset but no other trouble with the sequence.

Graham

Brutal 03-28-2019 08:40 AM

if done correctly it takes 15 seconds to reset, I've counted. I always do with the hood unlatched and drivers door open only out of habit. SDD tell you to do the buttons as mentioned already. The dings from door open etc. from the I pack is the proper cadence to use. Just keep doing it, even us techs occasionally get a stubborn one. Past that there is a bulletin about a software update for 3 things
cannot reset
reset but comes on again in a few days
never comes on

110reef 03-28-2019 09:26 AM

Does a 2008 have this feature?

Queen and Country 03-28-2019 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal (Post 2046902)
if done correctly it takes 15 seconds to reset, I've counted. I always do with the hood unlatched and drivers door open only out of habit. SDD tell you to do the buttons as mentioned already. The dings from door open etc. from the I pack is the proper cadence to use. Just keep doing it, even us techs occasionally get a stubborn one.

Is it possible that JLR has effectively built in a sobriety test for Techs? It would make sense in UK.
Why not just have a reset tool. Yeah its a sobriety test.

JackJohn 03-28-2019 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 110reef (Post 2046925)
Does a 2008 have this feature?

No, our cars have a dipstick. The electronic dipstick came about with the 5L engines along with the electronic monitoring.

GGG 03-29-2019 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal (Post 2046902)
..... Past that there is a bulletin about a software update for 3 things
cannot reset
reset but comes on again in a few days
never comes on

Do you have the TSB as a PDF?

Graham

Brutal 03-29-2019 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ggg (Post 2047400)
do you have the tsb as a pdf?

Graham

nope sorry its only certain models and vin so leaves a little hard for me to find at work

yidal8 05-12-2019 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by JackJohn (Post 2046982)
No, our cars have a dipstick. The electronic dipstick came about with the 5L engines along with the electronic monitoring.

Don't think it's to do with electronic dipstick. My wife's 2013 volvo xc70 t6 has a dipstick, and the 'service required' or 'service due soon' messages also.

JackJohn 05-13-2019 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by yidal8 (Post 2069556)
Don't think it's to do with electronic dipstick. My wife's 2013 volvo xc70 t6 has a dipstick, and the 'service required' or 'service due soon' messages also.

Reef was referring to his '08 XK, I don't know whether the XJ's, XF's or Volvos have a "Service Due Soon" message on the dash but our 4.2 XK's and XKR's do not.

Cee Jay 05-13-2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by JackJohn (Post 2070053)
Reef was referring to his '08 XK, I don't know whether the XJ's, XF's or Volvos have a "Service Due Soon" message on the dash but our 4.2 XK's and XKR's do not.

???????????
Is this true about the 4.2?
I have a "Service Required" message that appears in my '10, I figured it was pretty much an OEM thing for years.

JackJohn 05-13-2019 03:28 PM

I guess the 4.2's were the last of the dinosaurs. Mine has never shown the message and there is no reference to it in the OM.

Brutal 05-13-2019 04:02 PM

Jack is correct. when Jaguar, Land Rover went to 1yr 16k oil changes in the new 5.0 and then 3.0 they now use a service required message to alert the driver when a oil change is due based on a software to monitor driving style, time etc . it will go on for mileage and or times. but I have found it still stays pretty close to 1yr 16k. Volvo has been doing this for years has nothing to do with elect dipstick. I believe next year the interval changes to 2yr 21k GOOD GOD HELP US ALL

jagtoes 05-13-2019 05:54 PM

Last month I went to my dealer for my annual oil change. I also had my 5 year old battery changed. We were out in the loaner car and the dealer called and told me there was a problem resetting the service reminder and they had a TSB for a software upgrade which would take about 45 minutes to do and it would solve the problem. They called me in a 1/2 hour and told me it was done and upgraded. I picked the car up and it was good to go . I didn't ask for the details of the upgrade but they told me it solved the problem. They also reset the BMS after the battery installation. By the way all of the shift points changed and were crisper in the dynamic mode.

pk4144 05-13-2019 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal (Post 2070089)
Jack is correct. when Jaguar, Land Rover went to 1yr 16k oil changes in the new 5.0 and then 3.0 they now use a service required message to alert the driver when a oil change is due based on a software to monitor driving style, time etc . it will go on for mileage and or times. but I have found it still stays pretty close to 1yr 16k. Volvo has been doing this for years has nothing to do with elect dipstick. I believe next year the interval changes to 2yr 21k GOOD GOD HELP US ALL

For what it's worth, the over-the-counter oil I use (Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0W-20), which I was told by JLR was a perfectly acceptable oil for the car, is no longer sold. It claimed a 1-year, 15,000-mile life.
My guy told me that Mobil 1 also discontinued its "long life" 12-month oil, and that most of the well-known brands are discontinuing the ultra-long-life engine oils.
Don't know what this means, but there you have it.

BlkC4t_XK14 05-13-2019 08:49 PM

I just had my service interval done, engine oil change, cabin filter change, and then the dreaded service reminder reset. It took my mechanic 7-8 attempts. in the end he noted it was the speed at which you pressed the buttons in the correct order that was key to success. Releasing the fog light switch after ignition activation should be immediate. Pressing the reset button must be done almost as quickly and pressing and holding the fog button again takes the dexterity of a person with two left arms and hands. After he reset the reminder, I tried and it took me several times to accomplish this feat. It really is the speed you press the buttons.

Cee Jay 05-13-2019 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by pk4144 (Post 2070164)
For what it's worth, the over-the-counter oil I use (Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0W-20), which I was told by JLR was a perfectly acceptable oil for the car, is no longer sold. It claimed a 1-year, 15,000-mile life.
My guy told me that Mobil 1 also discontinued its "long life" 12-month oil, and that most of the well-known brands are discontinuing the ultra-long-life engine oils.
Don't know what this means, but there you have it.

Yeah, they got discontinued because it affected their bottom line. Tell people to change oil every three months and they will. That equals more sales even though it is totally unnecessary. Tell those same people to only buy oil once a year, and you'll miss three sales to those people.
Doesn't matter the oil, it's probably the exact same stuff just packaged differently.
In the 1970s oil companies said to change oil every 8,000 miles, which was about once a year. SINCE that time oil has gotten drastically better, and engines have drastically improved. So, WHY the 3,000 mile recommendation??? SALES. That's the whole shebang, the pursuit of the almighty $$$.

Queen and Country 05-14-2019 06:51 AM

They realized when you do 2 year oil change- it has a lot of unintended consequences.
Such as 2 years before an oil or coolant leak is caught.
2 years before driver is warned that his driving style consumes 1quart every 6months
And if oil changes are 2 years, the brake fluid should be 5 or well after my lease ends.

I wish the govt would do 2 year emissions testing.