Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Should I buy??? (If so, expect some killer repair videos) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/should-i-buy-if-so-expect-some-killer-repair-videos-216812/)

Reverend Sam 04-23-2019 07:23 PM

Should I buy??? (If so, expect some killer repair videos)

OK... I used to be all over the XK8/XKR (X100) forum, but then I sold my car and dropped out for about 8 years. I made lots of repair videos for the XK8. Some of you might remember me.

Anyway... I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2007 XKR coupe. I drove it today and nearly got whiplash from the acceleration. And the sound was HEAVENLY! It is truly indescribable. I'd post a link to the ad here, but I don't want one of you *******s to buy it out from under me. :icon_razz:

The dealer is asking $REDACTED, but it's been on his lot for several months and it has some issues. I'm sure I can talk him down a little. Here are the issues:

1) The tire pressure (TPMS) light is on and the display indicates two tires are low even though they aren't. That is the only mechanical issue I could identify, and I'm what you'd call an "expert" at identifying mechanical issues. :icon_werd:
2) The leather covering on the dashboard has shrunk and peeled away from the dash. It looks like crap. The previous owner covered the dash with a custom-fit dashboard cover, but it looks like crap, too.
3) The hood needs repainted. The clear coat is bubbling up and peeling away. It looks good from 20 feet away but up close it clearly has issues. Otherwise the body and paint are a 9/10. No dings, but it could use a good wax.
4) The wheels have seen better days. There's curb rash or faded/peeling paint on every wheel. But it's nothing I can't fix.
5) The red powder coat on every brake caliper is chipped or peeling. The worst one is missing about 50% of the powder coat and the best is missing 20%. But once again, that's nothing I can't fix.
6) The seller only has one key. :icon_evil: (How does that happen? I've never lost a key and I've been driving for 37 years!)
7) The interior needs a good cleaning. It's just dingy. It's a light beige color, and everyplace people put their hands is just dirty/dingy-looking.
8) There is no spare tire. I'm not sure if it was supposed to have a tire, or a pump and sealant like my wife's FIAT, but it has neither. It does have the jack.

That's pretty much it for the bad stuff. For the good, it has good Continental tires. The brake pads and rotors are good. All of the interior electronics work...

But let me get sidetracked for a minute... The displays were dim. REALLY dim. The dealer said the backlight on the center console display probably needs to be replaced. I took it for a test drive and could barely see the center console display. Then I realized that the dash cover was covering the light sensor. When I moved it away the display turned on to full brightness. I didn't tell the dealer. :icon_tongue:

Getting back to the good, the seats and interior are in great condition just dingy. The headliner is perfect. The windows work, and they both do the little drop-down thing when you pull the door handle. The GPS works, but the DVD has a 2006 date on it. I'm guessing updates aren't worth the cost. The alignment seems perfect and it doesn't pull to one side when I slam on the brakes. There's no rust to be seen, but I didn't have it up on a lift to check the underside. All of the lights work, but I didn't drive it at night. I'm assuming the HID headlights need changed. That'll give me a chance to make a video.

So... how much would you guys pay for this XKR? I didn't post the price because I want an honest opinion of what it's worth. I can do most of the repairs myself. I'll have to pay someone to repaint the hood (silver, hard to match) and redo the dashboard. It has roughly 65,000 miles on it. You have two days to change my mind, otherwise I'm buying it on Thursday.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...1f3edee795.jpg

Cee Jay 04-23-2019 07:29 PM

Hiya Sam, I followed some of your XK8 stuff and did a few myself when I still had my 2000.

Maybe some insight for you on the X150;
1) TPMS is sometimes finicky, it may be as simple as new Sensors inside the tires. Mine has the same thing, and although the sensors test "good" with tire shop readers, but if the signal isn't strong enough it won't reach the antennas inside the fenderwells. Original sensors? They need replacement.
2) Several threads about the shrinking dash, can be expensive to do 'right', but can also be done if not too bad by only removing the windshield.
3) Hood paint, it is what it is.
4) Like you already stated, wheel refurb isn't much of a deal or even expensive.
5) Again, some paint
6) New key.... that can be pricey. $300 & up for the key, and then $150+ to have it programmed. USED keys are 95% unusable due to 'married' to the car.
7) A good clean could be used by nearly every car.
8) A good percentage of X150s had no spare, but an Inflator Kit in its stead. I don't think I'd ever trust one, because most flats I've had are either shredded or blown out. No kit will help that. Factory spares and the foam holder can be had on eBay or similar sites for not too bad.

Everything is doable, and I remember that you're quite capable, so there's that.
Also, a newer 2015-2016 Volvo Nav disk can be had for like $60, so that's a big departure from the X100 dead-at-2006 tripe.

You never said how many miles, and that COULD make a difference. South of $20,000 would probably be doable, as long as lower miles. Higher miles would be $15k or so if it shows its age.

Everyone will tell you to get a Jaguar PPI, and the dealer should compensate the cost.

kj07xk 04-23-2019 08:44 PM

:icon_that:
If the car looked great, you'd be in the low 20's, but from what you've described, you should be closer to 15k.

sparky fuze 04-23-2019 09:01 PM

Car S/B listed at ~$18K, and you S/B able to take it off the dealers hands for ~$16.5K.

Cee Jay 04-23-2019 09:11 PM

Ranchero50 bought a rough-ish XKR and took some time fixing it up while documenting most of it. Made for an interesting read.

Reverend Sam 04-23-2019 09:26 PM

The dealer is asking $17,900. I'm sure he has some silly "doc fee" that he wants to tack on to the price, too. $16,500 was what I was thinking about paying, maybe $17K, just because the tires look brand new. I can get the hood repainted for $800 or less. I'll pay someone $200 to detail the inside. If I can get the dash repaired for under $500 I'd be thrilled. A few hundred more on the wheels. I'll paint the brake calipers myself. I'll have a decent 2007 XKR for under $19K.

Stuart S 04-23-2019 09:36 PM

Huge bird! Good thing it wasn't on a bombing run.

Norri 04-23-2019 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 2059774)
OK... I used to be all over the XK8/XKR (X100) forum, but then I sold my car and dropped out for about 8 years. I made lots of repair videos for the XK8. Some of you might remember me.

The name seems to ring a bell! :icon_smile:

Hope it works out for you.

ralphwg 04-23-2019 11:09 PM

I think you are in the right area. One caveat; there are several threads dealing with the dashboard issue. Most of them show a repair cost of around 1k, mostly for labor. suggest you look for the threads in the search box at the top of the page using such terms as pulling dashboard, pulling leather on dashboard or dashboard bubbles + what ever other terms you can think of. The issue has been discussed quite thoroughly. Good Luck and 15-16k sounds about right after a dealer PPI that doesn't show any additional issues.

JonWat 04-24-2019 03:16 AM

Sam,
I watched your centre console video to replace the foam in mine, worked a treat thanks.

Go for the X150 they drive so much better than the X100s :icon_smile:

Reverend Sam 04-24-2019 06:45 PM

OK... the dealer is a snake. I went back today with my ELM 327 and the Torque app on my tablet. Here's what I found. First, a P2105 code was in the fault log.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...7422a32212.jpg

I haven't googled that yet, but it sounds bad. "Forced engine shutdown"??? That's not my bag.

Next I found this:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...44391b3cc3.jpg

The dealer was like "That's not right. Wait... Oh yeah. We had to jump start it the other day. That probably caused that. It will clear in a day or two."

I didn't tell him that I know a battery fault can't reset the emissions readiness.

Then I found THIS:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...ad76fe4477.jpg

The dude cleared the codes to get the check engine light to turn off. He's hoping to sell it to someone who doesn't know any better. :(

Reverend Sam 04-24-2019 06:53 PM

I'm kinda handy with fixing stuff, so for the right price I still might buy the car. How hard is it to get to the O2 sensors on an XKR?

Also, the coolant temp was at a steady 203 degrees. That seemed a little high to me. I'm used to seeing coolant temps around 185 to 190 (Fahrenheit, obviously). I just read that engine overheating can cause the P2105, so maybe this is as simple as a thermostat. What's the normal coolant temp on an XKR?

jagtoes 04-24-2019 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 2060326)
I'm kinda handy with fixing stuff, so for the right price I still might buy the car. How hard is it to get to the O2 sensors on an XKR?

Also, the coolant temp was at a steady 203 degrees. That seemed a little high to me. I'm used to seeing coolant temps around 185 to 190 (Fahrenheit, obviously). I just read that engine overheating can cause the P2105, so maybe this is as simple as a thermostat. What's the normal coolant temp on an XKR?

I have a 5.0 L but can't imagine getting to the O2 sensors is a problem. As for the water temp anywhere from 195*F to 210*F is not a problem. Now as far as buying this car unless you want to work on it for a while prior to driving it then low ball the offer. Otherwise just walk away and look for others in the $15-$20K range that are ready to drive. If I were to make an offer it would be no more then $12K.

Canadacat 04-24-2019 07:45 PM

Just bought an 07 xkr vert 55000 miles,like new roof,like new interior,and near perfect paint with the 20" wheel option, 20k US dollars just to give you an idea of current pricing,this was in the Toronto area

Reverend Sam 04-24-2019 08:57 PM

The one I was looking at is the 4th lowest priced XKR for sale in the US right now on cargurus. The dealer is a shyster, so I know he'll never go down to 12K. He's hoping to sell it to some baller who won't give a crap when the CEL comes on.

https://cargur.us/rrB8R

shemp 04-24-2019 11:04 PM

Eh. 5 owners. Fleet car. Accident reported. Questionable codes. I would worry about its past.
There are better specimens out there for not much more and less aggravation.

My 2 cents.

Goodryke1959 04-24-2019 11:13 PM

you changed your site or something I cant figure out how to post anymore. 2007 xkr zero interior lights or power or anything...security system lockout maybe? 500 dollar battery less than two years ago. its locked me out like this a few times then worked...never able to figure out why.

pk4144 04-25-2019 12:20 AM

Walk away.
Or leave the guy with a business card and tell him to call you if he doesn't get a better offer and you'll take it off his hands for $12K.
But I'd say walk away.
Because you're right - he wants to Hardball some other less knowledgeable buyer down to $15K. And that's high.

Ranchero50 04-25-2019 08:20 AM

Read my resurrection thread. The car should talk to you. I'd buy it at $15k just for the 2 tone interior (which is sort of painted on the leather so clean it with very mild stuff)... I think I got mine for $11.5 with body damage and a ton of non working stuff. Nothing listed is impossible to fix for much cash. I'd get the whole thing repainted as if one spot starts lifting the rest is bound to follow (mine did).

Love my car, warts and all. Wouldn't trade it for a new Mustang.

GGG 04-25-2019 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 2059774)
OK... I used to be all over the XK8/XKR (X100) forum, but then I sold my car and dropped out for about 8 years. I made lots of repair videos for the XK8. Some of you might remember me. .....

Has it really been 8 years? Good to see you back.

Graham