XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Should I trade-in for F type/XK

Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Should I trade-in for F type/XK

Hi everyone,

I just got word from the repair shop.. my car needs some new stuff (expensive stuff)..
New light unit
pedestrian sensor
Roof (rear winscreen coming loose from fabric, already glued once)
Rear Suspension bushes
Headlamp washer motor is not working

now all counted up, this bumps the repair cost up to around 9000 USD.. (its UAE so prices are WAY higher here).. and other shops do not have the access to the spare parts.. (or they have to be shipped..)

So the other option for my 2007 XK (35.000KM) is to trade it in for either a new XK or the F Type...

thoughts!?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Sounds like fixing your car in Abu Dhabi is an exercise in futility. If you traded your car in, how much would you get? That sounds very expensive for the items stated.

Never hurts to explore a trade-in. Not sure which model I'd take between the two. The XK has more organic shape to it, but the F-type is new look.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

The F-Type is a fun weekend only car with no luggage space to really pack anything. It's exterior is barely smaller than the XK and it's weight is negligible. It's looks and transmission are the only things REALLY different other than less power. The XKR is more car and in my mind it's also better looking too.

With that in mind - this is an XK section. My vote is get a 5.0 XK/R but your the one that's going to have to live with your decision and both are enviable machines.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

If you have an XK going to an F-Type is like going sitting in a shoe box.. My friend has one and its a GREAT car dont get me wrong, but its no XK. To me the convertible feels like a very high end S2000, and I like S2000s but would not own one. Now the coupe I like but it still feels a bit cramped for my liking. I say XK/R 5.0 as stated above.

The following users liked this post:
R_Rated (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by MaximA
If you have an XK going to an F-Type is like going sitting in a shoe box.. My friend has one and its a GREAT car dont get me wrong, but its no XK. To me the convertible feels like a very high end S2000, and I like S2000s but would not own one. Now the coupe I like but it still feels a bit cramped for my liking. I say XK/R 5.0 as stated above.
The Ftype just seems so much like a frat boy trust fund car. That's just my perception though. It's super cool to see, hear and look at but I'd never own one.

MaximA (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a similar dilemma. Although my 2008 XKR only has 22000 miles and has no problems I need new tires and it could use a couple of touch ups. For a couple of thousand I can get it back to like new condition.

I just don't know whether to put the money in it or trade it for a new F-Type R Coupe or a new XKR. I have a hard time justifying buying a new XKR because other than the 5.0 engine it is almost exactly what I have and I actually like mine better as I have the Alcon brakes and the Senta wheels which I think is a better look (except for MaximA's HRE wheels). If the new XKR had the 8 speed and the sequential shifter like the F-Type I would be more inclined.

I drove the F Type and I thought it was definitely more fun to drive than my XKR or the 5.0 XKR that I tested. The problem was I prefer a coupe and the Vert had no trunk space at all.

I think I am going to wait a couple of months and check out the F-Type R Coupe and if I am really-really impressed I may go in that direction. If not I think I'll stick with with what I have and wait and see what happens when they upgrade the XKR in a couple of years. At this point my car is not going to depreciate that much more so it is less expensive to put a few bucks in it and wait until I see something I really want.

Last edited by jleuz1; 01-08-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

But Kudos to Jag for making it especially if they come out with a 600HP, ceramic brake light weight R-S version. Its just too small for me, even though the XK has tiny back seats you can at least use them for dogs, children, tiny women, or to torture a friend that never drives. Perfect car

Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by jleuz1
I have a similar dilemma. Although my 2008 XKR only has 22000 miles and has no problems I need new tires and it could use a couple of touch ups. For a couple of thousand I can get it back to like new condition.

I just don't know whether to put the money in it or trade it for a new F-Type R Coupe or a new XKR. I have a hard time justifying buying a new XKR because other than the 5.0 engine it is almost exactly what I have and I actually like mine better as I have the Alcon brakes and the Senta wheels which I think is a better look (except for MaximA's HRE wheels). If the new XKR had the 8 speed and the sequential shifter like the F-Type I would be more inclined.

I drove the F Type and I thought it was definitely more fun to drive than my XKR or the 5.0 XKR that I tested. The problem was I prefer a coupe and the Vert had no trunk space at all.

I think I am going to wait a couple of months and check out the F-Type R Coupe and if I am really-really impressed I may go in that direction. If not I think I'll stick with with what I have and wait and see what happens when they upgrade the XKR in a couple of years. At this point my car is not going to depreciate that much more so it is less expensive to put a few bucks in it and wait until I see something I really want.
I wait to sell your call. The F-Types will be on the secondary market soon as they will approach the 1 year old marketplace. Depreciation is a major factor with these cars. Your 2008 has already gone through the major depreciation stage and the F-Type is on it's way down. I am sure that you can still sell the 2008 XKR for a good price to you and a good price to someone who wants to buy a beautiful car at a fraction on the original price.

Buy the new tires, new wheels and keep the car.

jleuz1 (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 11:01 AM

But Kudos to Jag for making it especially if they come out with a 600HP, ceramic brake light weight R-S version. Its just too small for me, even though the XK has tiny back seats you can at least use them for dogs, children, tiny women, or to torture a friend that never drives. Perfect car

Absolutely. If nothing else it brought some excitement to the brand and got people into the showroom that would not have otherwise. Even on here there has been many remarks of buyers going in looking for an F Type and leaving with an XK. It's a car the Jag "needed" to make and even though its not for me it shows what they can do.

Max- the size thing is the same problem I think with the BMW 1 series. It is smaller than the 3 series on the inside; yet is weighs nearly the same and the exterior dimensions aren't but a couple of inches different. The F-Type has very little difference in exterior size or weight but the inside is very small.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Thats the thing I don't understand is the weight... If it were around 3300 LBS it would make more sense. Man, the R coupe looks good though.. Just needs a pulley and tune but lets not digress from the original post.

Get an XK

Attached Thumbnails Should I trade-in for F type/XK-wp_20131213_003.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts
Thumbs up

Thats the thing I don't understand is the weight... If it were around 3300 LBS it would make more sense. Man, the R coupe looks good though.. Just needs a pulley and tune but lets not digress from the original post.

Get an XK
I love the union jack f-type in the background! Shaguar.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM

Get an XK

With that in mind... Part of the requirements are maintenance and parts availability since the cost to repair your XK is a variable in finding a conclusion. The F type is new so parts will be scarce for now whereas the XK platform has been around so parts will be easier to come by untill Jag has had some time to get the F's out there a little more.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:19 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks everyone so far...

A (partial) repair is the outcome.. just checked yesterday, a new one is 93kUSD and that's for the standard model, without adaptive cruise, heated seats etc etc.. the premium model boosts it up another x000USD's... (not even thinking of the R). I also looked at the latest XK model.. but for some reason, its not a beautiful as the 2007 model.. don't know what it is.. perhaps the chrome around the buttons in the interior, the front.. not sure..

The F type is a little bit cheaper (around 5kUSD) for the S V6 model. (And its going to be 4kUSD higher in price mid this year!!!!!).. the write-off on one of the new ones would be immensely I think as rumors are that 2014 will be the last year for the XK as it is now.. (model year 2015) - (which makes me curious about its replacement!).

The trade-in for my 2007XK shocked me.. a mere 19kUSD

So.. not fixing the pedestrian system and washer for the lights will do the trick.. (and lower cost), so I can still drive the best looking car (Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson back in 2007).

I mean.. its still a beauty

Attached Thumbnails Should I trade-in for F type/XK-parzival-128479-albums-garage-john-7096-picture-894834-668584509850866-744431727-o-22513.jpg  

Last edited by Parzival; 01-09-2014 at 03:23 AM.