XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Sold my Jag

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Sold my Jag

Yup, it's gone. Had it listed on Craigslist only got an innocuous email asking about it thought it was the usual worthless scammer/ad agency didn't think much of it. Later realized it was an actual inquiry so showed the car the following day. When I pulled it into his driveway I still had bugs from a roadtrip to Palm Springs on it but it took maybe 3 mins before he made me an offer $500 less than my asking price. In the end he is ecstatic texting me often about his enjoyment, I'm glad it went t someone who will enjoy it. So long, not sure what's next but it'll be hard to replace it was it was mechanically perfect and cosmetically excellent, great looking, pure joy. It was a rare find which I drove for 1 1/2 years.

So far for "joy toys" I've had two Mercedes, two BMW M3 convertibles (pretty boring), two Boxsters, now the Jag... nothing else out there excites me in the least. Has to be a convertible so got time to figure that out

Old 04-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Congrats.....................?

Old 04-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Leeper as I recall you spent tireless hours hand stitching the interior

Why the sell ??

Which manufacture are you going to go with next

Old 04-26-2017, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

That was quick. Sounds like you really enjoyed the time with your Jag, what motivated you to get rid of it, boredom? Especially since there is nothing else that strikes your fancy.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:03 PM
Banned

Yup stitch all that car, looked great new owner is amazed loving it. Sold it for a few reasons:
#1 - business was slow last year so don't need a depreciating asset sitting there while I make payments.
#2 - got more than I paid for it. A year before I bought a Boxster drove it then sold it for more than I paid for it did the same here. Sad to see it go as it truly was a gem, nicest I've seen and aside from my messing up a light install the car was perfect mechanically. I like doing that - looking nationwide, finding gems, making them pretty again

No clue as to what next - Thought about maybe a Porsche Turbo but they are just too common and everyone looks the same regardless of year +price of entry is still a bit high. Mercedes don't impress me (I can get them CHEAP too). I tried to like the BMW 6 series but the interior is way too boring and driving any BMR is like driving a Lexus where it is completely underwhelming. I may go with a XJL supercharged if I can buy it right just to drive something until I get excited about a convertible again. My criteria is always - #1 - low maintenance #2 - good looking #3 - excitement when driving it #4 - no GM products

Old 04-26-2017, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Have you tried an XJR? I drove one on a track day, it handled really well and had oodles of power. A little plain looking inside maybe, all grey and carbon. I preferred it on the track to the AWD F Type but my favorite on the day was the XE S.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts
Old 04-26-2017, 04:41 PM
Banned

Hey Bruce good to hear from you! No I have not tried the XJR but perhaps the only other car that would get me excited might be a French blue XKR-S convertible . Again the price-point is still a bit high here, not like Australia as they can be had @$65K here. Not into racing anymore, raced both cars and bikes for years so speed is no longer in my blood also not really interested in getting into "exotic sportscars" as most are maintenance and depreciation nightmares so what's that leave??? Porsches are great drivers but a dime-a-dozen as are BM'ers, Mercedes are just plain boring and not good reliability

Old 04-26-2017, 05:01 PM
Banned

Sister and my best buddy had that exact Civic except in yellow. Couldn't kill those cars no matter how much you tried. Wait, that doesn't have Michelins on it does it Ceejay!?!?

The following users liked this post:
Firecat17 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

It wouldn't be on one solid piece if it had.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Leeper - IMHO there is nothing on the market that is like a Jaguar, particularly an XK or XKR. Somebody, I forget who, described our xks as near exotics which I think is a terrific definition. Why not look for a 13, 14 or 15 at a low price and do it again? Whatever you do good luck and good hunting and please keep us in the loop.

Stuart S (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:11 PM
Banned

Thank you Ralph for the very kind words. I may well try a newer model as I had no complaints with my '07. All of my other cars I had minor complaints (with my first Boxster major complaints then lemon law). I may look at a XKR-S in a year or so. Always loved the looks of the XK now i know they are rock solid... if i run across another gem I'll ****** it up it took me almost a year to find that one but in no hurry.

For those pondering whether they should get one or not you'd be silly you consider another car - Mercedes. BMW, Maseratti font come close trust me... from a guy who has had most and just sold a Jag. The new owner is so elated!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:38 PM
Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
Thank you Ralph for the very kind words. I may well try a newer model as I had no complaints with my '07. All of my other cars I had minor complaints (with my first Boxster major complaints then lemon law). I may look at a XKR-S in a year or so. Always loved the looks of the XK now i know they are rock solid... if i run across another gem I'll ****** it up it took me almost a year to find that one but in no hurry.

For those pondering whether they should get one or not you'd be silly you consider another car - Mercedes. BMW, Maseratti font come close trust me... from a guy who has had most and just sold a Jag. The new owner is so elated!
When time comes to look for something to replace my XKR, I gotta say I'm looking forward to seeing some affordable examples of these in the used market. Probably the first modern Mercedes I've ever been interested in.

Attached Thumbnails Sold my Jag-mercedes-benz-amg_gt_r-2017-infographic.jpg  
ttiverson98 (05-02-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Well, since part of this is that business was slow last year I can understand why you would take your time on another car. Even if you buy another "low priced jewel" that can sell higher it is still an outlay of money while you have ownership.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Leeper - IMHO there is nothing on the market that is like a Jaguar, particularly an XK or XKR. Somebody, I forget who, described our xks as near exotics which I think is a terrific definition. Why not look for a 13, 14 or 15 at a low price and do it again? Whatever you do good luck and good hunting and please keep us in the loop.
+1. My thoughts exactly.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

#2 - got more than I paid for it.
Wow. I don't know your car's whole story but that's pretty rare from what I've seen.

Good for you. Good luck in the future!

Old 04-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned

Thanks Shemp. Bought it in Dec '15 flew to Detroit bought it from a rich lady with many cars. Shot her a low-ball offer she accepted. Did kind of the same thing on my last Boxster. Sold this for "above market" and he couldn't be any happier. I've bought a few cars out of state and drive them back, enjoy them a bit, clean them up nice and sell them later. Took me almost a year to find that one and once I did it up it looked GREAT! The new owner went nuts as soon as I rolled into his driveway made me a cash offer in the first 3 mins never even drove it until after he paid for it, same thing with the Boxster I sold to a real Porsche enthusiast bought it right off. Buy them right, detail them really well

The following 3 users liked this post by Leeper:
ralphwg (04-27-2017), Rivguy (04-27-2017), shemp (04-27-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:06 AM
Banned
Old 04-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I think I found the car I want!

One of 53: 1991 Jaguar XJR-15 | Bring a Trailer
That's a great pick! Can I have a ride in it?

Old 04-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Banned

THAT is a sexy beast! Can't believe such a rare car doesn't demand a far greater price, same said for the XJ220 guess the collectors market isn't thrilled with Jag in comparison to Lambo or especially Ferrari.

I had never considered "Bring a Trailor" as a viable search place when looking for a nice car but to my surprise there's a number of really good toys on there as very reasonable prices. I had thought it was a repository for cars that were in various stages of disarray and people wanting to unload them but I was wrong. There's a number of nice Ferrari's, lots of unique collectors cars, great place to search and dream - no affiliation with them just a surprised onlooker

And Moses, obviously was just kidding about any chance of getting that unless of course my 5 numbers and bonus happen to hit this weekend if that happens then of course and I'll let you drive it!

mosesbotbol (04-28-2017)