Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Starting Issue (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/starting-issue-188157/)

Jagst 08-26-2017 11:30 AM

Starting Issue

Had not used the car for a couple of weeks. Battery fully charged on CTEK. Car struggled to turn over as if starter motor was slightly jammed but started. Also power steering not working fully. After 20 miles started normally and power steering normal. Since done 100 miles and car is as new. Has done this once before several months ago. Any thoughts would be helpful!

Ranchero50 08-26-2017 12:54 PM

That's your cars way of telling you that you need to drive it more often. Honestly, without regular exercise these things are to be expected.

I almost think you would be better off pulling the battery if you are going to leave it sit for a month or more vs. have it electronics 'asleep' that long. The car is always pinging the key fob and waiting to wake up.

Jagst 08-27-2017 06:21 AM

I can understand the point you are making but don't believe a two week holiday is a lay up.

Mikey 08-27-2017 06:49 AM

From personal experience, a battery tender indicating 'charged' does not mean that the battery has it's full cranking amperage. Yours, if the original, is now in the age range that might need replacement.

JagV8 08-27-2017 09:03 AM

Charged = no more useful power is going in. If the battery is below par, it's charged as far as it can be but not like new. If it's almost dead, it's almost dead. Load test it and see?

Stuart S 08-27-2017 09:54 AM

Try pressing the START button before stepping on the brake pedal. It might start faster that way.

Cee Jay 08-27-2017 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 1748819)
Try pressing the START button before stepping on the brake pedal. It might start faster that way.

I don't do this, never had a reason to try. BUT... my wife's Lexus RX won't work this way. Her brake NEEDS to be depressed before the START button is pressed or it won't do anything.

Stuart S 08-27-2017 02:21 PM

Cee Jay,

My 2007 LS460 was the same. I thought all cars worked that way and didn't realize that you could press the START button before stepping on the brake pedal until my Jaguar service advisor told me to try it after my car wouldn't start. I was sitting in my XKR chatting with him after having routine service and must have inadvertently pumped the brake pedal, and when I stepped on the brake and pushed START nothing happened. Pressed START then tapped the brake pedal and it started right up. Been doing it that way on both my Jags ever since.

Stuart

powerhouse 08-27-2017 03:05 PM

Don't worry about it ,mine did it today, and it is on trickle charge every night, next to new battery and a daily driver these cars are known for electrical glitches, you probably get in one day and you'll have no power at all, then in a few minutes it will spring into life. The joys of owning an xk

ralphwg 08-27-2017 04:18 PM

+1 for Stuart S. Powerhouse, welcome back were you on holiday?

Stuart S 08-27-2017 07:54 PM

I'm the opposite of Powerhouse. My 2009 XKR is not a daily driver and I've never had any electrical gremlins. That's because I have always kept it on a battery maintainer when garaged and locked the doors.

powerhouse 08-28-2017 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg (Post 1749008)
+1 for Stuart S. Powerhouse, welcome back were you on holiday?

Thanks Ralphwg just a lot on at the moment, at the moment contemplating moving up to a F-Type, but have driven a few, love the noise but something still doesn't give me the same pleasure as the xkr, will probably opt for an last production of the xkrs, to me the xk has more presence.

powerhouse 08-28-2017 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 1749119)
I'm the opposite of Powerhouse. My 2009 XKR is not a daily driver and I've never had any electrical gremlins. That's because I have always kept it on a battery maintainer when garaged and locked the doors.

as with you mine on charge every night, but is used everyday, and doors locked, suppose some of us have and others not, it doesn't bother me as i just call it the rebooting mode when something goes wrong