XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Surprised by no interest for buying my 2014 XK Dynamic R (so keeping it)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 04:48 AM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Surprised by no interest for buying my 2014 XK Dynamic R (so keeping it)

* This is not an add - car no longer for sale *

Had my 2014 XK Dynamic R on Sale or Return for the passed 8 weeks with no interest according to the retailer. I was selling due to financial reasons but thankfully I'm now able to keep it. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any takes on this? The car has 13.5k miles is Stratus Grey with ivory. It's had a recent detail with ceramic coating and is immaculate, even has Jaguar approved warranty until December 2020. I was asking top money for it but reduced the price twice (ended up at £39,950 - $51603) which seems about right in the market. I've also noticed that other similar XKR's are also not shifting. I've had and sold XK's before in recent years with no problem. Are we seeing a contracting market for gas guzzling V8's or is the XK just not on peoples radar, is it an enthusiast only car maybe? Just interested in opinions really.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by LockNumber25
* This is not an add - car no longer for sale *

Had my 2014 XK Dynamic R on Sale or Return for the passed 8 weeks with no interest according to the retailer. I was selling due to financial reasons but thankfully I'm now able to keep it. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any takes on this? The car has 13.5k miles is Stratus Grey with ivory. It's had a recent detail with ceramic coating and is immaculate, even has Jaguar approved warranty until December 2020. I was asking top money for it but reduced the price twice (ended up at £39,950 - $51603) which seems about right in the market. I've also noticed that other similar XKR's are also not shifting. I've had and sold XK's before in recent years with no problem. Are we seeing a contracting market for gas guzzling V8's or is the XK just not on peoples radar, is it an enthusiast only car maybe? Just interested in opinions really.
Just recently I have seen a 09 xkr take a price reduction of 10k AUD ( 52'990 down to 42'990) it's been up for sale since December.

I also saw a 2015 with super low km go for under 90k at a recent auction .

Unfortunately there isn't a huge demand for these types of vehicles on the second hand market ....could be worst at over 400k AUD Bentley GT's can be picked up for a third of that price after only 5yrs

Old 04-27-2019, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I believe that XK/XKR/XKR-S buyers are a select few car enthusiast . We should understand that these cars still live under a "reputation" and are fairly costly to maintain. We know that reliability has improved over time but as far as the general car buyer is concerned it still isn't looked at . Then because of this for us we can buy a luxury sports GT at great prices. But most of all we know the down size is if and when you need to sell it. It then becomes the vultures circling their pray. If you are in my position this will be my last fun car so I'll have it maintained and end up letting my kids sell it off which for them will be free money. If you are trying to sell unless you find someone who wants a Jaguar it will be a long wait regardless of the model . So enjoy the ride and good luck which ever direct you decide to go in.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:07 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

That's about right for UK main dealer prices on 2014 Dynamic R but I've noticed there hasn't been much change in the advertised late XK and XKR's for several weeks. They don't look to be changing hands.

This is perhaps a seasonal thing (I got a good deal on my XK buying it in the slowest sales month of December) but think you are correct that V8's aren't what buyers want at the moment. It'll be interesting to see if the market picks up as we head into Summer.

Graham

Old 04-27-2019, 08:20 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

These are old cars with old car traits. The F-Type is a much better car dynamically and has more modern tech. The market is very limited for old expensive to maintain cars. To be perfectly honest, there are many better cars available for the same money. With that said, the exterior looks of the car is what will sell it - at the right price.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufc
These are old cars with old car traits. The F-Type is a much better car dynamically and has more modern tech. The market is very limited for old expensive to maintain cars. To be perfectly honest, there are many better cars available for the same money. With that said, the exterior looks of the car is what will sell it - at the right price.
Sorry you are entirely wrong on several points.
If you were right, they never could sell an Aston Martin from 2005.
Even our cars have more performance and tech than the Vantage.

This car happens to be in no-man's territory.
In that its a little too new and a little too costly for the bargain hunter whose budget is around $30k USD

Also cars in general have fallen out of favor. SUVs are all the rage.

Incidentally, the Ftype does not have more tech, nor dynamics. As my brother found out, it does not have air conditioned seats and for the money (he bought a new one) he could only get a V6 without the supercharger.

The following 7 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Barry Leftwich (12-31-2023), drphilgood (01-10-2024), jeffu (04-27-2019), jima (05-02-2019), LockNumber25 (04-28-2019), Old Radar (04-30-2019), XJDanny (04-28-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-27-2019, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

Incidentally, the Ftype does not have more tech, nor dynamics. As my brother found out, it does not have air conditioned seats and for the money (he bought a new one) he could only get a V6 without the supercharger.
well, to be factually correct, every F-Type with a V6 (two different states of tune) or the V8 version have a supercharger. It is only the base 4 cylinder which does not (and it has a turbocharger and puts out almost 300 hp)...

Old 04-27-2019, 05:19 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

The problem isn't with the car itself, it is with it's placement in the market-place. The GT category has become somewhat obsolete. Buyers started to show that they didn't want this type of car as far back as 2011-2012. A driver that wants a track car will go for a Porsche. A driver that wants that, but also wants a Jaguar will buy the F-Type. Most other buyers either want a large SUV, or a pick-up truck, or a smaller SUV, or a very small economical car. All the XK variants have become Unicorns in the auto world, despite them being pretty good at doing just what they were designed to be. There is already a very small buyer market for this car, and it is shrinking every day. Some millenniums don't even want a car at all!

Old 04-27-2019, 05:37 PM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

If you were right, they never could sell an Aston Martin from 2005.
Even our cars have more performance and tech than the Vantage.

In that its a little too new and a little too costly for the bargain hunter whose budget is around $30k USD

Also cars in general have fallen out of favor. SUVs are all the rage.

Any car will sell at the right price even Aston’s with the garbage automated manual will sell eventually at the right price but this is not my point and I am afraid anyone that says the F Type is not a better car dynamically just does not know anything about cars. Look for some back to back tests with the XKR-S compared to the F type R. There is no comparison. Chris Harris summed it up perfectly. Drive both on a track and tell me which is the best dynamically.
As far as tech, I have never seen blind spot monitors, never seem apple play, never seen AWD, Carbon brakes only on the already obsolete XKR-S GT.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:37 PM

And on the subject of GT cars themselves, the very nature of the original idea of cruising the continent comfortably at speed in your high-powered GT car has changed drastically. With traffic congestion, highway tolls, photo-radar, police enforcement, new laws of vehicle impoundment and/or forfeiture (even crushing your car due to speeding excessively), high fuel prices and too many poor drivers clogging the roadways, eating up the black-top has become much less enjoyable in your car. People will now opt for flying, or taking the train as the price of those modes of transportation have equalized and can be much more convenient. A sad state of affairs if you ask me.

The following 2 users liked this post by sparky fuze:
kj07xk (04-27-2019), Sean W (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 05:46 PM
The following 2 users liked this post by sparky fuze:
Cee Jay (04-27-2019), SuperTrav (05-02-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 05:51 PM
The following 3 users liked this post by sparky fuze:
Cee Jay (04-27-2019), SinF (04-28-2019), SuperTrav (05-02-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

And actually I think that $20K will soon be, if it isn't already, the high target for this type of car, regardless of condition or miles.
Step back and consider: how many people in the world right now, regardless of wealth, are even considering spending $40K or more for a 5-year old V8 with some outdated tech?
For status? Nope. The car to get, here in LA, remains a Tesla.
And our cars aren't old enough or quirky enough to be "cool." A cute 20something woman in my building just bought a powder blue XJ8 because she liked the looks, and that it's a four door. And at $4500 it was in her budget. She says she hasn't had any issues with it, and her friends love it.
I think the 500+ horsepower of the XKR will help, and when prices hit 10-15K, sure-- some kid will want a cool-looking, 500HP, old (which it will be) Jag. Sounds about right.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-28-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
And on the subject of GT cars themselves, the very nature of the original idea of cruising the continent comfortably at speed in your high-powered GT car has changed drastically. With traffic congestion, highway tolls, photo-radar, police enforcement, new laws of vehicle impoundment and/or forfeiture (even crushing your car due to speeding excessively), high fuel prices and too many poor drivers clogging the roadways, eating up the black-top has become much less enjoyable in your car. People will now opt for flying, or taking the train as the price of those modes of transportation have equalized and can be much more convenient. A sad state of affairs if you ask me.
Heading off to drive the XKR cross-country tomorrow. Its true its less fun than it used to be.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
Heading off to drive the XKR cross-country tomorrow. Its true its less fun than it used to be.
Aw crap, just as I’m getting to retirement age and looking forward to cruising the highways and byways!

Old 04-27-2019, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Aw crap, just as I’m getting to retirement age and looking forward to cruising the highways and byways!
I'm just whining. Mid-week, off-peak times of year, you'll be fine. Especially through Colorado, Utah, New Mexico - there's some breathtaking drives through the mountain west. Even on the interstates.
But be warned EVERYTHING AROUND DENVER IS A TRAFFIC SHITSHOW NOW. It's astounding. It's like heading-into-New-York-from-New-Jersey bad.

kj07xk (04-27-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 06:36 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pk4144
I'm just whining. Mid-week, off-peak times of year, you'll be fine. Especially through Colorado, Utah, New Mexico - there's some breathtaking drives through the mountain west. Even on the interstates.
But be warned EVERYTHING AROUND DENVER IS A TRAFFIC SHITSHOW NOW. It's astounding. It's like heading-into-New-York-from-New-Jersey bad.
And has been for decades. I still remember driving out west to pick up a buddy of mine who had been working out north west of Colorado Springs for the summer in the late 90’s and the worst part of the trip back was from CS to Denver. After that it was easy driving, especially with no speed limit and night driving in western Nebraska. Of course the minivan I had taken out there couldn’t take full advantage of that. But with a long enough stretch of highway we still got it going fast enough.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:00 AM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I think this is exactly it with my car in particular. Neither a bargain V8 nor a modern multitouch self driving nightmare. Never mind. Didn't want to sell it anyway.

Queen and Country (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

There are people I know that are out looking for a car, they say what they want, I suggest the Jaguar; they turn out to be scared of a Jaguar.

It is hard to get over that. I must admit I bought a Jaguar over a Porsche because of past issues Porsche had with their first water cooled flat six.

As for the F-type, the two cars really do not compare. The F-type does have improved suspension pick up points shedding some of the inferior shared platform geometry with other cars.

However, the F-type does not match the X150 in interior space. I wanted a 2+2 like the 911, not a 2 seater like the Corvette.

Ultimately, people do not know these cars exist. I have the badges removed from my XK.

People will be looking at it parked and trying to figure out what it is.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Supply and demand regulates price. The reason why the car didn't sold is that potential buyers were able to find comparable car cheaper elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Surprised by no interest for buying my 2014 XK Dynamic R (so keeping it)