Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Suspected battery trouble (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/suspected-battery-trouble-174498/)

wjpjazzy 12-30-2016 03:05 PM

Suspected battery trouble

Just went outside to take a spin in the XKR and it doesn't start. I think it's the battery I don't keep it on a tender. My question is it ok to jump it with a battery box. My dealer is 75 miles away.

jagtoes 12-30-2016 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by wjpjazzy (Post 1593734)
Just went outside to take a spin in the XKR and it doesn't start. I think it's the battery I don't keep it on a tender. My question is it ok to jump it with a battery box. My dealer is 75 miles away.

I would charge the battery with a 10-15 amp charger . Once charged have the battery check to make sure it is OK. Then start it and after using the car put a smart charger on it. After charging you should get around 12.6 Volts.

1 of 19 01-02-2017 08:48 AM

You will be allot happier with your XKR experience with a battery tender that is utilized.

wjpjazzy 01-02-2017 09:53 PM

I ordered a ctek Saturday.

RedRider48 01-05-2017 10:16 AM

Might have tried to start by depressing the brake pedal first, then, the start button?
It's been advised here in the past, this is the better start procedure......

Stuart S 01-05-2017 10:34 AM

Ken,

I'm not clear on what you just said but I think you have it backwards. Although the Owner's Handbook says to step on the brake pedal and then push the start button, based on my experience it is better to press the start button first - fires right up with just a tap of the brake pedal. Inadvertently stepping on the brake pedal multiple times (pumping the brakes) can make the car very hard to start and you have to really stand on the brake pedal to close to starter switch. You avoid that problem by pushing the start button first.

Stuart

kj07xk 01-05-2017 11:26 AM

Been following Stuart's method since I first read it, works much better than the Owner's Manual method.

RedRider48 01-05-2017 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 1596861)
Ken,

I'm not clear on what you just said but I think you have it backwards. Although the Owner's Handbook says to step on the brake pedal and then push the start button, based on my experience it is better to press the start button first - fires right up with just a tap of the brake pedal. Inadvertently stepping on the brake pedal multiple times (pumping the brakes) can make the car very hard to start and you have to really stand on the brake pedal to close to starter switch. You avoid that problem by pushing the start button first.

Stuart

Stuart, and to others, I had it backwards. Thanks for clarifying.
In any event, perhaps the previous poster has a bad start ckt. in the brake system?

Stuart S 01-05-2017 01:50 PM

Ken,

No problem. Because we're human we make misteaks!

Stuart

RedRider48 01-05-2017 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 1596981)
Ken,

No problem. Because we're human we make misteaks!

Stuart

...yeah, mestew!
Ha, Ha, Ha...