XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Tell me about your tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Tell me about your tips

Just got back from a nice 80* day drive. As I put the car to bed and going through my normal ritual I noticed something about my exhaust tips. I ran most of the tip in normal driving and did not open up the outside tips. What I observed as I was wiping down my tips that the right inside one was a little darker then the inside left one. I'm not talking rich dirty just a little darker. Also i notice when the car is idling there seems to be a little more pressure out of the right inside tip then the left. I assume this to be normal but what has others experience been.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Interestingly - just yesterday I stood in the drive and watched my son leave in my XKR. The car had not been driven for a couple days so the exhaust was visible (as it was emitting a bit of vapor). When looking at the back as it drove away the right side exhaust had a noticeable increment more vapor (i.e. exhaust volume or amount of vapor at least was greater vs. left side).

No idea why that would be but I saw it.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd be surprised if the XK had independent dual exhaust systems and headers.

Presuming it doesn't (very few cars do..need two cats, balancing back pressure, etc.), exhaust will flow greater out of the path of lower resistance. With pipe routing often slightly different , one exhaust port almost always has lower resistance.

Higher volume = higher deposits in the tips.

I personally haven't looked that closely to see if mine has a large or minor color difference. Both are pretty dark on the inside.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Slee_Stack
I'd be surprised if the XK had independent dual exhaust systems and headers.

Presuming it doesn't (very few cars do..need two cats, balancing back pressure, etc.), exhaust will flow greater out of the path of lower resistance. With pipe routing often slightly different , one exhaust port almost always has lower resistance.

Higher volume = higher deposits in the tips.

I personally haven't looked that closely to see if mine has a large or minor color difference. Both are pretty dark on the inside.
I could buy that but in my case I have the performance exhaust with the X pipe which I would assume balance out the exhaust pressure. It looks like the pipes enter the muffler at equal distance so unless there is a longer pipe inside the muffler I would think the pressures and volumes would be about the same. It's not an issue but just a curious interest.