XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Test Drove an XKR

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Test Drove an XKR

I finally drove an XKR and thought I'd share my opinions.

The Good:
Beautiful and sexy up close and from a distance. Long and sleek.
The cat is both a luxury cruiser and sport GT all wrapped into one.
Luxurious interior
On demand power
Good steering

The Bad:
I have long legs and want my sport coupe to have enough room for my legs to be stretched out straight. I had to bend my knees. WIth the rear seat hitting the back of the front seat, I couldn't recline to a position I am most comfortable with. I was disappointed a 188 inch long car didn't have more front room.

That engine miss described by RJC. Yes, I felt it. It got better after the car warmed up. When I got off the highway I didn't feel it but I was trying to concentrate on other things so I can't say it was completely gone. Actually, the engine miss is not a deal breaker for me. I'm more concerned about the from space.

As nice as the interior is, there were a couple of pieces that felt cheap for a 100K+ car. That kinda shiny silver trim over the glove box just looks tacky. The gear selector felt flimsy as well.

The Ugly:
I really wanted to test drive an XKR-S but I guess they didn't have one available. That would be the one I prefer. My second choice would be the XKR with the Dynamic Pack but the XKR-S has the same suspension as the Dynamic equipped car so either would work.

Bottom line:
I really like the car. I would have to have someone either shorten the back seats or take them out as they get in the way of reclining with the seat all the way back. Don't know if I want to go through that much trouble but I really do like the car. I've always modded my cars so I'm accustomed to tailoring cars to fit my taste, style and comfort.

I have many other cars to test drive so no decision yet.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Can't really argue with your breakdown. I have 3 main issues with it, from a "luxury" perspective and being a 100k car.

1) No soft close doors.
2) No power trunk/hatch.
3) Cannot stream music via bluetooth.

My old S65 spoiled me for #1 & 2

What other cars are you test driving?

Jay

Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly Single
Can't really argue with your breakdown. I have 3 main issues with it, from a "luxury" perspective and being a 100k car.

1) No soft close doors.
2) No power trunk/hatch.

Jay
Check out this thread on how to steam music via bluetooth.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eceiver-76203/

Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM

1) No soft close doors.
2) No power trunk/hatch.

Jay
While I do agree with you it's more of a sporty car so didn't expect more features. I also tested a 650i and found the technology to be quite amazing. It's huge and not as sexy but it has all the front space I require and the tech just makes the car unforgetable. I can make it look better with nice wheels but it can't touch the XKR for sexiness.

Other cars to check out:
GTR
SL550
Gran Turismo
California
R8
Bentlet coupe
Aston DBS/DB9
Viper

Already checked:
650i
CL
XKR

Old 07-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Ha, wait...you're comparison shopping that range of cars?! Really going to the ends of the spectrum XKR, 650i - Viper, 458

Old 07-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I'd take the California or 599... Done!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I'd take the California or 599... Done!
I agree about the 599.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:30 PM

Ha, wait...you're comparison shopping that range of cars?! Really going to the ends of the spectrum XKR, 650i - Viper, 458
Seems a little strange but it just shows how much I like the look of the XKR. There is something about it that makes me swoon everytime I see one. I don't get that feeling when I see most Ferrari's (except the 599) but I owe it to myself to check them out. I may discover what it is that makes them so magical.
I keep hearing Ferrari's are not daily drivable and that really bothers me. I'm not the type to buy something just to look at it.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ice350
While I do agree with you it's more of a sporty car so didn't expect more features. I also tested a 650i and found the technology to be quite amazing. It's huge and not as sexy but it has all the front space I require and the tech just makes the car unforgetable. I can make it look better with nice wheels but it can't touch the XKR for sexiness.

The technology/electronics in the cockpit of the Jaguar is years behind most other manufacturers. It's the one major compromise you have to make when you buy an XK.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

I keep hearing Ferrari's are not daily drivable and that really bothers me. I'm not the type to buy something just to look at it.
The front engine Ferrari's are fine for daily driving. Most owners get scared of the mileage on their "investment". What's true for regular cars is true for exotics that an everyday driver is more reliable than a garage queen.

If the 599 is a car that's an option for you, I would runn out and buy one! You may miss some of the technology features, but oh well...

I agree that XK has lines few cars can match at any price point. I saw this at British Car day when people were jocking my car as much as the Vanquish parked two cars down...

Old 07-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree about the 599.
Or you could buy a fleet of XKR's for the same price! Better get on the waiting list for an F12.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts
Default Test driving the XKR, XKR-S, XJL Supersport

Today my wife and myself attended the JaguarAlive driving event in Alameda, CA. Perfect weather, beautiful background of the Bay and the San Francisco skyline.

About the event: absolutely first class organization. They had at least 12 XJ variations and probably similar number of XKRs, XKs, and XKR-S. I can see that after the events are done, there will be a good number of slightly used Jaguars on the market. Low mileage, all of which is due to 0-60 tire burning accelerations and heavy autocross use.

First, we were driving the XJ sedans in street environment. Ours was an XJL and it provided a very nice ride over various broken pavement and tire burning acceleration. Only after the drive did I notice the "Supersport" logo on the side of the car. Most impressed with the car.

Next was 0-60 timed and filmed acceleration in XKR-S models. I blew my run as I lifted near the end when the instructor next to me began saying something in the middle of the run. Oh, well, still very impressive.

On to the autocross; I selected a gorgeous Italian Racing Red XKR and did my assigned 3 laps. I can only think that something was wrong with the car as the engine practically died when attempting to accelerate out of the slowest two corners. I probably lost several seconds waiting for something to happen, as far as acceleration goes. The Instructor next to me said that it was the DSC and it was normal. I said that it was HORRIBLE!!!... and please let's turn off that DSC. He said that he was not permitted to turn it off so, I left with the conclusion that in particular XKR something was very wrong. Wonder if the other cars behaved similarly? I mean, absolutely no power when trying to accelerate out of the tight turns and it was a good 2 seconds before the engine would wind back up. Felt like a stall. The transmission was in the DS mode, I was not allowed to use manual shifting. The Instructor said that I was probably trying to give it too much gas, which I disagreed with given my decades of track racing experience.

So, where did the event left me? Will keep my XK for a while but, I'm most interested in the XJL for its combination of power, comfort, ride and looks. Probably will wait for the 2013 models as the 8 speed transmission appears to be on the close horizon.

Great event, great people and no expenses spared by Jaguar.

Albert

PS - Forgot to mention two negatives today about my XK. One, as most of us know, the Navigation is absolutely terrible in the car. I tried to use it to get us to our destination and it wanted to take us to a previously entered destination and had a slew of other problems too many to detail. Good thing I had my Android phone with me that works far better for navigation.

Second, more serious, the darn car locked me out for the second time. We got out to stretch our legs and I left the FOB on the backseat. When returning in about 5 minutes the car was locked. Luckily we're careful enough to bring both FOBs with us and my wife had the second one to open the car. Second time it did that. Needless to say when we arrived to the event I was not a happy Jag owner...

Last edited by axr6; 07-19-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by aahmichael
The technology/electronics in the cockpit of the Jaguar is years behind most other manufacturers. It's the one major compromise you have to make when you buy an XK.
Thank goodness they didn't compromised something important

Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
On to the autocross; I selected a gorgeous Italian Racing Red XKR and did my assigned 3 laps. I can only think that something was wrong with the car as the engine practically died when attempting to accelerate out of the slowest two corners. I probably lost several seconds waiting for something to happen, as far as acceleration goes. The Instructor next to me said that it was the DSC and it was normal. I said that it was HORRIBLE!!!... and please let's turn off that DSC. He said that he was not permitted to turn it off so, I left with the conclusion that in particular XKR something was very wrong. Wonder if the other cars behaved similarly? I mean, absolutely no power when trying to accelerate out of the tight turns and it was a good 2 seconds before the engine would wind back up. Felt like a stall. The transmission was in the DS mode, I was not allowed to use manual shifting. The Instructor said that I was probably trying to give it too much gas, which I disagreed with given my decades of track racing experience.
The XKR was functioning properly, and the loss of power was completely due to the DSC intervening when the tires started to slide/spin. I detailed that in my 3 track reviews, and the solution is to turn it off completely for motorsports, or partially off (TRAC DSC) for normal aggressive use. Sensitive throttle and 460 lb-ft of torque by 2500 rpm adds to the challenges. Seat time helps! Fortunately the DSC does not intervene in street use unless you push it.

Bruce

Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
The XKR was functioning properly, and the loss of power was completely due to the DSC intervening when the tires started to slide/spin. I detailed that in my 3 track reviews, and the solution is to turn it off completely for motorsports, or partially off (TRAC DSC) for normal aggressive use. Sensitive throttle and 460 lb-ft of torque by 2500 rpm adds to the challenges. Seat time helps! Fortunately the DSC does not intervene in street use unless you push it.

Bruce
Thanks for clarifying, Bruce. Seem like they are way conservative in taking away power. I could feel no slip, what so ever, when the DSC kicked in. Guess it is better safe than sorry for unskilled drivers; just kill the power completely that could cause a slide. Good option is the ability to turn it off or into the TRAC DSC mode. I would have liked to drive it in those modes.

On the other hand I was surprised how nimble was the handling of the big, long wheelbase XJL Supersport.

Albert

Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

I could feel no slip, what so ever, when the DSC kicked in.
Me neither. At first I thought it must be the tranny slow to downshift on the particularly low speed corner where it happened each lap. Doesn't happen with DSC OFF...but now I have to be really careful when squeezing on the loud pedal, and use the paddle shifters to select 3rd rather than 2nd to limit torque to help manage grip...works well!

Bruce

Old 07-20-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
The front engine Ferrari's are fine for daily driving. Most owners get scared of the mileage on their "investment". What's true for regular cars is true for exotics that an everyday driver is more reliable than a garage queen.

If the 599 is a car that's an option for you, I would runn out and buy one! You may miss some of the technology features, but oh well...

I agree that XK has lines few cars can match at any price point. I saw this at British Car day when people were jocking my car as much as the Vanquish parked two cars down...
Well, some people say they are fine others say thet are not. I keep hearing the rear-engined 458 is the best daily driver. Then I hear the Cali is the best. Only thing to do is drive them all.

There's no rush. I'm not even ready to buy anything.....but when my plans come to fruition, one or 2 these cars will be a nice early Christmas present to myself.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.

Bruce
What they need are more levels of control, but then, this is not really a race car. My Ducati 1198S Superbike has 8 different traction control settings from virtually no intervention to way too much.

Last edited by HouTexJag; 07-20-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
What they need are more levels of control, but then, this is not really a race car. My Ducati 1198S Superbike has 8 different traction control settings from virtually no intervention to way too much.
It would be awesome if the Nav screen allowed for more customization of all the driving dynamics, including having gauges like the Nissan GTR

Old 07-20-2012, 04:55 PM

Second, more serious, the darn car locked me out for the second time. We got out to stretch our legs and I left the FOB on the backseat. When returning in about 5 minutes the car was locked. Luckily we're careful enough to bring both FOBs with us and my wife had the second one to open the car. Second time it did that. Needless to say when we arrived to the event I was not a happy Jag owner...
How did that happen? Why did the car lock itself when you left the fob inside? In my XJ, if you leave the fob inside and try to lock the door with the button on the door handle it gives you a chirp warning and will not lock.

Quick Reply: Test Drove an XKR