Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   Tire Recommendations (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/tire-recommendations-213331/)

MartynL 01-28-2019 11:17 AM

Tire Recommendations

Wondering what brands/models of tires are most popular replacements for 2011 XKR convertible with factory optional 20-inch wheels? Not interested in tracking the car, just good road performance while maintaining ride qualities.

Cee Jay 01-28-2019 11:36 AM

Most popular and decent are probably Conti DWS. I've not bought them (yet) but have been happy with my current Hancook Ventus EVO 2 tires. I'm sure a lot of people will chime in here. Of course, you COULD search the forums and have several already-discussed threads at your disposal to peruse.

110reef 01-28-2019 11:55 AM

My car has Delinte tires on it. They were installed by the dealer that I bought the car through, so they were new when I got the car. I have 30,000+ miles on them so far, and they have been good tires. I tracked my car once after 10,000 miles at most on the tires, and they held up well. They are probably not as grippy as when they were new, but certainly good enough for the kind of driving I do. They probably still have another 20,000 miles of tread on them.

Queen and Country 01-28-2019 12:10 PM

Michelin. If maintaining intended performance characteristics is paramount.

MartynL 01-28-2019 12:59 PM

Thanks. I'm leaning in this direction. Just had them put on my Corvette and they're really nice. No rush still have lots of miles left on jag's Hankook tires.

SinF 01-28-2019 01:36 PM

After putting Michelin Pilot 4S on your car you will instantly regret not doing it sooner.

CleverName 01-28-2019 02:05 PM

I can tell you, living in Florida, that getting All Seasons is most definitely the wrong way to go.

Tire choices must be made after evaluating how you drive or intend to use your Jag.
If you're a casual driver, you can look at 'Performance tires' without issues.
If your an aggressive driver like me, the 'Ultra performace' tires are by far the way to go, however, tread life suffers greatly.
In the U.P. category I favor Bridgestones, particularly the S0-4 so far.

I just installed the Michelin Pilot 4S on my XKR, near the end of last summer. With only 1000+ miles, they have yet to impress me. IMHO they lack a lot of the feedback of the S-04 which is critical for me when I'm doing naughty stuff on back twisty roads.

I chose to try the Michelins, as they were on sale and within $200 of the Bridgestones (normally the Bridgestones would save me about $400+). They are reported to have great grip, and a much longer tread life than the S-04, so I figured 'what the heck'. As I said, I'm not yet impressed, but the tires are technically in the 'new' phase of tread life, so maybe feedback will improve over time. As it stands, I seriously harbor thoughts that I should have stuck with the S-04s...... Only more time will tell...

Vince

MartynL 01-28-2019 02:12 PM

Thanks for feedback. I installed Bridgestones ( Ferrari Enzo & Porsche Turbo replacements) on my Ford GT and they're so much better, ride and bite, than the Goodyear OE Supercar tires GT came with. Marty

CleverName 01-28-2019 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by MartynL (Post 2019814)
Thanks for feedback. I installed Bridgestones ( Ferrari Enzo & Porsche Turbo replacements) on my Ford GT and they're so much better, ride and bite, than the Goodyear OE Supercar tires GT came with. Marty

Wow, with a Ford GT, I'd have the Bridgestone RE-71Rs on it so fast, and to hell with tread life! WooHoo!
I've run the RE-11s (Long time predecessor to the RE-71) on several of my past cars and although they grip like an animal with claws, the tread noise was something I didn't want to introduce to my Jag.

V

Cee Jay 01-28-2019 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by SinF (Post 2019788)
After putting Michelin Pilot 4S on your car you will instantly regret not doing it sooner.

.... just have a tow truck on speed-dial to clean up the wreckage.....

or not......
I'm MOSTLY over the abysmal Michelins I had, as I understand that it was probably that horrendous vegetable compound they used for a couple years that shredded my PSS tires.
STILL though I will never buy them again in my life.

Tervuren 01-28-2019 03:33 PM

It will really come down to what you want, I'm afraid we can't give any accurate short answers.

Tires are compromises.

When I last bought tires in fall 2017 Michelin seemed to have the best compromise.

However, I made my decision based on a combination of the appearance of the tire and careful review analysis.

I picked my top tires, all good choices, then researched which I thought would look best with the car.

PsiFox 01-28-2019 03:52 PM

Another vote here for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

Had them on the car since spring 2017.

They transform the handling in both wet and dry, providing simply amazing levels of grip 20 inch wheels in both wet and dry.

as an aside I drive a convertible and tyre noise is significantly reduced as well.

The tyre compound seems to remain more compliant in cooler temperatures than my previous experience with both Du lop and Pirelli.

Tervuren 01-28-2019 05:01 PM

My favourite tire I have had is not made anymore, Continental DW.

When I was purchasing Continental had phased it out and had a new tire design.

I wanted something proven.

My highest priority is noise.

I've spent too many hours in a machine shop and I value peace and quiet.

I also value grip which excludes all season tires.

I went with Pirelli, it has been a good set of tires.

I found the Hancook tires were more of a sporting tire and less of a GT tire. The car wanted to follow every undulation of the highway.

Although on my other cars that'd be an admirable trait and a recipe for fun for my Jaguar it was not what I wanted.

Given the other sports cars you have I have to imagine that perhaps those you value performance, but for the Jaguar it might be different?

jagtoes 01-28-2019 05:40 PM

As a 3 season driver up north here I went with the Conti DWS 06. For my type of driving it more then fit the need. They are soft and smooth along with being quiet. I also like the tread design so they fit my need. As others have mentioned it is a matter of choice so take all of the input and pick what you feel fits you. I also have the 20's and the Dunlop's that came with the car were good but with a little age the ride wasn't to my liking.

sparky fuze 01-29-2019 06:28 PM

Ok, so I just want to apologize in advance here.

Thread hi-jack!

I would like to know how you rate the XKR in comparison to the other cars you currently own as well as any others you may have owned in the past? Is the XKR worthy of "super-car" status or even perhaps a semi-super-car tag?

Thanks

CleverName 01-29-2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by sparky fuze (Post 2020376)
Ok, so I just want to apologize in advance here.
Thread hi-jack!

Yes it is

Originally Posted by sparky fuze (Post 2020376)
Is the XKR worthy of "super-car" status or even perhaps a semi-super-car tag?

And no it isnt...

When I attend the our local Exotics car show (Exotics at Redmond Town Center), the only thing that lets me by the entrance is the beauty of our lines. Seeing and parking next to real super-cars is a humbling experience.

Mufc 01-29-2019 08:52 PM

MP4S is by far the most superior tire unless you live up north and drive 4 seasons. You have sporting Jaguar, don't hamper it with sub standard tires, If you feel the need, buy a different car like a Yugo and be happy with what ever tires are cheap.

Queen and Country 01-30-2019 12:51 AM

Agreed. We all have different things we would never compromise, for me that is a super stiff sidewall. Even on my heavyduty trucks.
MP4S is the best I found.

A useful data point; I am the one who had the problem with Michelins throwing lugs and posted pictures of it. Yet, I got right back into the same brand. Could not ignore all the things they did right.

Stuart S 01-30-2019 07:12 AM

If your primary concern is a quiet ride, the Pirelli Noise Cancelling System is the answer.

https://carbuzz.com/news/quiet-tires-are-on-the-rise

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...22b494632e.jpg

MartynL 01-30-2019 08:23 AM

I love the XKR. Wonderful compromise of serious performance, excellent ride & handling and luxury appointments. It's not really a Supercar like my Ford GT, nor a sports car like my Corvette. It is the best of both worlds, and it looks great! Marty